PDA

View Full Version : LW transition to XSI

NNois
11-15-2004, 05:37 PM
here a few question about XSI

- Is there a way to "dissolve" progressively an object ala LW without editing his shader or putting it in a separate pass ?
I've already tried the render visibility param but it seams to be a switch only and putting my object on a group won't help...

- It there a very easy way to create a master light (or something equivalent) for fading the intensity of a group of light ?

Thanks in advance

RuiFeliciano
11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
1 - There isn't a direct comparable parameter to LW's Dissolve object, at least none than I know of. You can either do it in post or animate the transparency parameter of the shaders applied to your object as you mentioned. The render visibility is a ON/Off switch as you already discovered

2 - Yes, there's a very easy way. Just link the Intensity parameter of your "slave" lights with th eintensity of the "master" light. To the left of the intensity parameter there's a green button. Just drag and drop the *master* light intensity green button onto the slave's green box one by one. The script editor should popup with the expression that XSI automatically creates for you

paul k.
11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Has Softimage or anyone else created a Lightwave to XSI PDF or document of somekind? It seems that Avid does not consider LW a serious competitor or does not expect many converts as they only have Maya and Max conversion sheets....

RuiFeliciano
11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Hmmm..you mean a PDF like this one http://www.xsibase.com/tutorials/beginner.php?detail=192 that was created some two years ago? ;)

Besides, search thi sforum as well as xsibase.com because there's countless threads with questions from people coming from LW....and, if you can't find something...just ask :)

paul k.
11-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah I was searching the softimage site.....

Shame on my logic ! :rolleyes:

RuiFeliciano
11-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Shame indeed, coming from LW you should be more than used to look for information in other places than the manufacturer's site ;)

PS - I've been a 10+ year user of LW and still use it on occasion so the above is just an atempt at cheap humour and should not be taken as any type of attack.

IronGoblin
11-17-2004, 11:42 AM
RuiFeliciano: thnx for the link.. i've just started crossing the line between lw and xsi... this will certanly save both me and the hair on my head... :)

Keep on truckin'
(btw.. first post in the SoftImage part of cgtalk)

wmendez
11-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi IronGoblin,

I have not had the time to update the doc so sorry for it being out of date. It's still usefull in some aspects and as Rui said there are numerous threads here and on the base that cover X feature for X feature.

Rui has mentioned some workarounds to get the effect that you want. There is also use the addprop "visibility" command on a group but this uses a boolean value so you can't do the vorlon cloaking effect :)

bravmm
11-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that there was one pdf on the Softimage website once, but here's a link I posted for a friend of mine a while ago:

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11659;start=0#msg76727

Hope this helps as well and welcome,

rob

IronGoblin
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
bravmm: a great link.. thnx a lot... finally i can get into some spinquad action in xsi.. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.