PDA

View Full Version : constraining objects to normals on grid

morgn
11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi,
building a countryside and so ive got a library of models- trees, bushes, shrubs etc. ive also got a huge grid that im using as the ground. the mesh is deformed like hills.
i want to import the models and then constrain its y position and the orientation of the object to the grids points, so when i translate the object it will change its orientation depending on the normals of the surface and you can still translate it across the surface in x and z.
is that possible to do? im no good at expressions..
also, if i wanted to make a pathway, how can i get the path to follow the contours as well?
this may be a very complicated way of making an environment - any ideas?

suntemple
11-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Take a look at using point constraints for your first question. You will probably be able to specify certain axis which the constraint is applied to (don't have xsi in front of me now).

As for the path, try drawing the curves for it on the surface of the grid using the snap to sufraces toggled. You can then loft the path using the curves. If you have the path already made, try using the deform to sufrace operator
Hope this helps,
JAS.

Ablefish
11-15-2004, 08:49 PM
If you have already built the path, it would be pretty easy to get it on your landscape with Shrinkwrap - and if you keep the relation, you'd be able to make changes to the landscape and/or move the path around and have it follow.

For the other objects, it sounds like you're looking for a constrain to surface... constrain to point wouldn't give you the flexibility to move it around afterwards.. This only works with a nurbs surface though, so you'd probably want to shrinkwrap a dense nurbs mesh onto your landscape if it's polygons.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.