PDA

View Full Version : Why Apple??

Hullbr3ach
02-07-2002, 05:06 AM
Why would Nothing Real ever want to sell itself to Apple???

I just hope that they keep Linux support or I will never be buying a licence.

Nando
02-07-2002, 06:17 AM
Thats Exactly why Apple baught them because of Linux support.
OSX is basically a Linux derivative, so Shake will work nicely with Apple new OS.
only nice thing is that well erm shake might be a $999.00 aplication.
Rumour on the street before this anouncement , was that Apple would purchase Alias's MAYA.
It will Happen ;)

Curtis
02-07-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm sure Apple will drop the price of Shake (we all hope..;) but what I am interested to see is what kind of backing Apple will give the Shake development team. Alot of times, we see companies/products get bought out for their name, and put on the back shelf.

What will happen to Tremor? It's VERY hardware specific (i.e. NOT Macintosh hardware..;)

At least we don't have to wonder about their OSX port anymore. I'm sure that will be out soon..=)

Imagineer
02-08-2002, 02:31 AM
I culled this from another forum...

I think a bigger issue for Apple (and the Mac based FX community) is that Nothing Real are the developers of the IFF format used in Maya.
I would LOVE to be able to read a maya sequence directly into Final Cut Pro after rendering.
Or how about this:
Render from Maya to IFF format
Import sequence into FCP and edit
Open edited timeline in Shake and composite
Reopen composited show in FCP and output via 3rd party hardware or Firewire

All with no image degredation from various format changes.

Very interesting!

Now if Apple would just purchase Alias|wavefront...!

Curtis
02-09-2002, 12:09 AM
There is a great article on DigitalProducer (http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/02_feb/editorials/02_04/apple_nothingreal.htm) that puts a very good perspective on the aquisition.

It also puts fear in Windows/IRIX/Linux users that Shake will not longer be supported/developed for these platforms. I hope that Apple makes the right choice, and continues to develop these products.

Raven
02-12-2002, 12:20 PM
I strongly believe apple is doing the right thing here. for years apple had to beg developers to develope software on their OS. adobe has always been a strong supporter of apple but it didnt appeared that way in the last year or so. i dont blame jobs for releasing FCP. heck, why in the hell isnt photoshop ready for OS X yet? yeah i heard sometime in march but if im not correct it should had been released last year... adobe's on their high horse. i say stick it too them JOBS!!!

why wait for others when u can do it yourself. its not like apple is buying second grade egg here.

now i second the motion of acquiring AW maya. :)

Imagineer
02-12-2002, 06:10 PM
YES!

Apple purchasing Alias|wavefront would be an awesome move towards 'the new Apple' aka 'the Hollywood Apple'...

Then have Pixar license PRRenderMan to Apple, for purposes of integrating it into Maya as the default renderer...

Think of it, a full HD-capable production suite from the Apple Store, around 35 large...

jazzthief
03-12-2002, 08:43 AM
The day I ever purchase an Apple is when a Quadro and Wildcat cards are compatible on the Powermacs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.