PDA

View Full Version : Can i Import UV and texture into Zbrush for editing

rv-el
11-14-2004, 02:55 AM
OK, i've been trying to search here and Zbrush Central for this. Basically what i'm looking for is the ability to import my mesh from Max 7, but i need it to retain its UV information completely. And i need to be able to apply the map that i've painted for it to the mesh some how. This is so that i can paint details in over the top of my photoshoped details once i've divided up the mesh in Z brush. Then i would get the normal map from that and be able to put it on my original max character.

I've heard you can paint (color etc.) in Zbrush but i find absolutely nothing in their help and have yet to see it in action or in a tutorial. The number of highly detailed zbrush models i've seen with 0 maps on them is getting to be strange and overbaring, and also a lot of zbrush models with poor texturing. I'm struggling to work out a good process that works for me as an artist. If you guys can tell me how to enter paint mode may be i'll play with that. I have yet to be able to get projection stuff to work either for adding details quickly, it keeps telling me that it needs to be a poly mesh object or something. I click a button that says "create poly mesh object" but that does not phase it.

Answers to any of these questions will help. I've just started to try to learn this program, and make it more practical than "ohhh i like pushing much polys around, nifty!".

Thank You.

Matt
11-14-2004, 09:15 AM
UVWs are imported.

Make sure the model you export from 3dsmax is an OBJ. You can get the OBJ exporter (free) by doing a search of the forums for max2obj.

To use the texture in ZBrush, hit the texture button on the left, and import the desired image.

Make sure you use the forum search feature, and check out the ZBrush help files in the future.

Edit: Just because you don't see something high quality coming from ZBrush, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. People a lot of times just post a shot of their sculpted model with the basic shader just so they can show off the model work. In real life, there are painters and there are sculptors. Not everyone can be both.

rv-el
11-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I've basically tried this several times and each time the texture does not display on the model in zbrush the same that it does in 3dsMAx. not even close. i keep testing this doing different maps and unrwapping it differently and it just does not line up. its basically scrambled.

Also, the quality of work is VERY high, theres just so much support in general leaning towards sculpting than painting or even a sort of full process begining to finish (a process possibly like Unreal 3's). I have many vids but they are mostly pieces of how to sculpt paint. I have not seen the dvd(s) out there and maybe that would help me.

Matt
11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
You're going to have to explain what you mean by not displaying correctly...

Is it upsidedown? If so, then check 'flip Y' in the texture options drop down menu.

To paint a texture, make sure your model is in edit mode, and hit the projection master button, select color, and then paint it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.