PDA

View Full Version : Memories Of Hangzhou, Robert Chang (2D)

Lunatique
11-13-2004, 04:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/2652/2652_1100684065_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/2652/2652_1100684065.jpg)

Title: Memories Of Hangzhou
Name: Robert Chang
Software: Painter, Photoshop

Most of you can probably tell by a glance that the girl in the painting is my wife, Elena.
(For close-ups of the painting, click the "High Resolution Image" link.)
I've been trying to change my painting style to a more painterly and spontaneous style, and this is another step in that direction. It is still a bit too clean and detailed for my taste, but old habits are hard to break. I really forced myself to paint looser and use bolder colors this time, and although it's not anywhere close to the standard I had set out to achieve, it's at least a little bit of progress from the boring and sterile look of my previous paintings.
>> Hi resolution image & Close-ups<< (http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou.htm)

Close-ups:

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-2.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-3.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-1.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-4.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-7.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-6.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/memories_of_hangzhou/memories_of_hangzhou-5.jpg

Dimagery
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
truely wonderful...it may not be exactly what you were aiming for but its a great piece.
Its always hard to paint loosely, when you know you have detailed things such as faces e.t.c to paint, the temptation to go into detail is usually to strong.
Excellent... :)

Artie
11-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Great work! (as usual) ;)

noelt
11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Great stuff, i love the high res info, nice hair, skin tone. 4 stars :thumbsup:

Androgs
11-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Nice painting, you have a beautiful wife there. 4 star from me too:thumbsup: .

Garma
11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
it's at least a little bit of progress from the boring and sterile look of my previous paintings.

I can see where you're coming from, but their looks are really not boring. Especially when one looks at the close-ups you always provide. I am always amazed and really wondering how you achieve that soft painterly look of yours. The picture of your wife near that window really excels in that quality

Another top notch image from you and the close-ups only affirm that. Good luck with your journey to spontaneousness

erilaz
11-14-2004, 11:27 PM
The colouring and tones come off well, especially in the hair. It does have a different feel to your other works and it's refreshing to see you push yourself to try different styles. I think that you've been painting Elena for so long now you could probably do it from memory!

On a side note, your photography is stunning as well.:D

Paulo Amaro
11-14-2004, 11:29 PM
The image is great and the expression. It's a Great. But be careful with proportions. The boat on the or river is to close. That close should be more visible. Work with the horizon line rules!! keep doing it well!!

My Fault
11-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Awesome. This is a huge step in the right direction, as you said, much less sterile and boring. You are finding the balance and damn it's beautiful!! :beer:

Alice
11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
heh... It looks so photorealistic !

:thumbsup:
Lovely painting! Like the attention to the light and details.

Pinoy McGee
11-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Beauty! Good job. :thumbsup:

webhead
11-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Beautiful piece! Nice thoughtful pose. The clothing on your wife looks especially well done!
:arteest:

3dRaven
11-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Another beautiful painting Lunatique. I really like the new style. The swap of styles for the backgroung gives it an almost dreamy feel to it :thumbsup: The pose is nice to it doesn't look static sort of like a snapshot that cut into her leaning. One thing caught my eye to look a bit strange. The second building (of tower not sure what it is) looks a bit sharper than the one in the foreground. It's probably just the brush strokes are different. Maybe try & blur it on a second layer as a test? Sorry for the long rant

P.S.
Love the hair .....how do you do that it's amazing.

JoeBananas
11-15-2004, 12:36 AM
I can see you managed to get a looser style on the background while the character is very detailed - it's almost if you have 2 styles of painting going on there. Fantastic quality though - especially the fabric, which is excellent!

milkweed
11-15-2004, 12:37 AM
beautiful work, beautiful wife, and beautiful style..... i can't say enough good things about this piece:drool:

JARhead
11-15-2004, 12:37 AM
ahh music to my uhh ... eyes?

Vary nice work as always. I always like your work. Its always vary good, vary real, and vary inspiring. Hopfully one day Ill be good as you.

Your wife if vary beautiful but, you dont need me to tell you that :)

Nehym
11-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Gorgeous picture. ;) I really like the sublte tones you used and the textures. I guess that it is still quite noticeable that you tried something new here, that the style is a bit different from your usual. ;) I really like the clothing too, the patterns etc. Is that another dress you designed like the ones you posted on your site?

Paulo Amaro
11-15-2004, 01:27 AM
I just had a complete look at all work. I was looking at the all composition. I did never say that it was a negative work. No way, it is too good for it! Actually I did say it was great. We can never say to the artist what to paint, But I am sure that we can help him doing corrections! There are small bits that could do some piece of art look better. Even on the ones that look perfect to the eyes of most people. Is it bad to say something like I did? Or we have all to say, well, is very beautifull, thats great? allways ? In 10 years teaching, I had students saying the same as "JoeBananas". Well I do apologise if somehow I did ofend anyone! That wasn't my intention. Please do accept my apologies!!

Kind Regards

Topspin
11-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Wonderful!Very nice picture! Great colors! :thumbsup:

ceql
11-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Great work!! Wow, I Love it, Luna! :applause:

It's always very exciting to see new work from you, but even more this time around as it's been so long since the last piece :) , and yes!! there is defintely something that you have achieved with it that is even a level up from before. :) :bounce:

milkweed
11-15-2004, 02:02 AM
beautiful work, beautiful wife, and beautiful style..... i can't say enough good things about this piece:drool:

Psotek
11-15-2004, 02:26 AM
Very impressionistic. Nice work. :thumbsup:

Stahlberg
11-15-2004, 02:42 AM
A beautiful subject very well painted, good composition, wonderful colors... I love it.
Not that I agree when you say your old style is boring, but I really think you nailed the more painterly style you're looking for on the sky and water.

But maybe not so much the boats. To me that looks almost like motion-blur, because of all the many overlapping horizontal strokes... if I understand Craig, Sargent, Zorn et al right I think they advocate using fewer strokes, but more carefully mixed and placed...
I also think texture of the canvas plays a big role in the effect you want, right now each stroke is very smooth, maybe if you had some more 'tooth' to the ground, and a bit more irregular brush, it would make each stroke look better and less stretched or motion-blurry (which I don't mind so much but I think you're going for more of a Sargenty style right)?
Which is actually what seems to be happening very nicely in the sky, not sure what you did different there?
(nitpick; the larger boat seems to be not quite horizontal)
Love that stone pillar, the dress, her hair

Wilson-3d
11-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Great work. I really like the clothing. It was nice to see it in the close up hi res shots and see how it was achieved. The large boat behind her head is distracting to me. It may just be because the contrast between it and the water draw attention to it. Great job.

kraal
11-15-2004, 05:05 AM
i like this painting but the background is not working for me it looks as if it is looking through a frosted window

other than that and the horizon line perspective issue pointed out i think it is mighty fine work

C-A-U-T-I-O-N
11-15-2004, 05:11 AM
:applause: that's an amazing picture! looks almost 3d in bits! sweetness!

deathblood
11-15-2004, 05:12 AM
beautiful....hahahttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Great material and light......I like~

RLyons
11-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Kick arse, a really pretty image.

tai1061
11-15-2004, 06:37 AM
i like the beautiful ChineseDress!!!that's also in my memory!

michaelmueller
11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Great Painting. I'd remove the boats altogether, though. They take away from the focal point, your wife. If I hold my hand up and obscure the boats the composition seems better. Maybe it's just me.

Demalii
11-15-2004, 09:31 AM
that's really good, only thing I didn't like was how her stomach kind of sticks out, if you try to connect stomach, up, then you'll see her neck like way back, just looks uneven

JamesMK
11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Ha ha! Excellent painting of course :applause:

Very funny thing, but when I saw the plug thumbnail, I instantly told myself that this is a Robert Chang painting.... and whaddayaknow?

Tranchefeux
11-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi,
Very beautiful piece, the atmosphere is soft and the colors
controlled well, it is indeed difficult to release its blow of brushes
when have with the practice to finish well, but it is true that
brings to another sensitivity, you took as a starting point
photographs or with you all still creates imagination.
Cheer for this work. :thumbsup:

Seraf
11-15-2004, 11:57 AM
that's very nice, i love your painting style

GekiSan
11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Fantastic Work. 5 Stars. :thumbsup:

Adeel Bukhari
11-15-2004, 12:25 PM
truly great work

nickbenq
11-15-2004, 01:32 PM
HangZhou, a romantic city with pastoral scene and Many old legends I have been there one years ago.
The WestLake seems to be a archaian dream.

one comment:
the scarf is weared probably...a bit incorrectly, it's better to uncover the shoulder, like the lady, Tang Dynasty over 1300 years ago. it looks more Chinese classic style:)

http://jqka888.50shop.com/jianjin/zggdhhxs/styq/zf/aa.jpg

or like this, Jin Dynasty over 1700 years ago.

http://qzwb.com/img/2004-10/01/luoshen1.jpg

noelt
11-15-2004, 01:58 PM
You know you could seperate the whites, in tone, a little, same for the black in the boats compared to the black in her hair, it's a misty day from the look of the mountains, there is no seperation of whites in the umbrellas. I think that's why people say that the boats are distracting the white and black in the boats are too close.....maybe. Hopefully i make sense to you, good job again. :thumbsup:

Riddick
11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Nice portrait, simple but very sensitive and emotional.

Common Terry
11-15-2004, 04:49 PM
The pensive pose works well. Someone else mentioned that the closer of the two similar architecture structures has a softer focus that the front one which I agree looks odd. The boat also has some focus oddness. It's roof edge is much crisper than the focus of the hull.

Frenkie
11-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Great work Lunatique!

Could you tell us which brushes did you use in painter and photoshop? I see a lot of bristles here..

Emmanuel Rodrigues
11-15-2004, 06:52 PM
beatifull job, really very nice!

Nickii
11-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Unbeliveable! Your work is always good! It's done very tastefuly too.

XYZRGB
11-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I went to your site - you are so multi-talented.
Is there anything you are not good at ? :D

shards
11-15-2004, 11:40 PM
its..its..so wonderful!! :eek: :eek: I'm really impressed!! the realism of the character is outstanding! a masterpiece for sure!! keep rocking!! :buttrock:

Ollarin
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Holy muffins! Impeccable work Lunatique! Another award to add on your mantlepiece! :thumbsup:

Array
11-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Very nice painting. I saw the plug and thought to myself "Hey! Thats Rob's wife!".

Cheers!

H2
11-16-2004, 01:09 AM
amazing painting, you got a talent!

malcolmvexxed
11-16-2004, 01:15 AM
Very well rendered. with the advent of digital painting i do wish people would go more in the direction of more stylized work instead of such heavy photo referencing.

habashart
11-16-2004, 02:12 AM
a great work from master Chang and beautiful Elena.
Thank you both.

nickbenq
11-16-2004, 03:48 AM
what's Elena's Chinese name? :rolleyes: Aha

Citan
11-16-2004, 03:54 AM
truly beautiful painting....your technique is a joy to behold.

~citan~
http://iona.gfxartist.com

EdySusanto
11-16-2004, 05:02 AM
You made me jealous .. cool works.

Dreamy Kid
11-16-2004, 06:00 AM
congrats for the beautiful art lunatique, everything in the painting is beautiful

HanXong
11-16-2004, 07:04 AM
wondfull beautifull job!

Tilstrom
11-16-2004, 08:35 AM
very nice work, well done. :)

Lunatique
11-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the comments! There's quite a bit, so I'll just answer individually if the poster asked a question or gave a comment that I have a response to. For everyone else, thank you for the kind words!

Paulo Amaro (member.php?u=31296) - Yeah, I think I might have to go back and change a few things. Thanks! (No need to apologize--I love getting good critiques.)

Alice (member.php?u=4215) - Hehe, cute.

3dRaven (member.php?u=71550) - Yeah, you're right, it's the brushstrokes. I need to make some changes. My older brother always said I suck at painting hair. . ..

JoeBananas (member.php?u=55972) - Yeah, I struggled with that a bit. I wasn't sure how much looser I was willing to make the subject itself; I think I should've been looser, so the whole thing looks more balanced.

Lilie (member.php?u=48654) - Actually, the qi-pau in the painting was a store-purchased one, not one of my designs.

Steven - Yeah, I was thinking I'd play with Painter's canvas textures a bit, but then I forgot all about it once I started painting. What I did differently this time is to think in the opposite way. Before, I was painting to reduce roughness--but this time, I was painting to GET roughness. So, it's actually very calculated, where I'm sitting there flicking my writst and going, "Hmm, that looks too smooth, lets f$ck it up a bit with rougher strokes). I think I'm still too chicken-sh$t to do the same on the main subject itself though. I had an earlier version where Elena was a lot more impressionistic, but maybe I wasn't doing it right because it just looked like a speedpainting instead of a finished one.

Wilson 3d (member.php?u=25141) - Yeah, I'm now wondering what I should do with the boats. Maybe ditch them altogether or paint them more detailed.

kraal (member.php?u=19059) - Yeah, it's the inconsistency between the level of finishedness (is that a word?). I'm still experimenting, so hopefully I'll get better.

michaelmueller (member.php?u=112664) - Yeah, many people pointed that out. I'll do something about it.

Demalii (member.php?u=95973) - It sticks out? I thought I told her to suck it in! LOL

JamesMK (member.php?u=27885) - This always baffled me. People always tell me that I have a very individual style in my art, music, photography..etc, and they can always tell it's me. What is it exactly that makes my stuff appear the same?

nickbenq (member.php?u=122767) - Yes, West Lake a very beautiful--I took many photos of it. Thanks for the little history lesson there!

noelt (member.php?u=89052) - That's a good tip. I'll look into that.

Common Terry (member.php?u=121510) - Yeah, that's me making a goof. I'll fix it.

Frenkie (member.php?u=47326) - I don't really paint in Photoshop anymore. I only use it to do editing. In Painter, I use mostly the oil brushes and the palette knives. I use the oily blenders a bit too.

Vegan (member.php?u=57256) - Thanks. I feel like I'm just a 3rd rate nobody at everything I do though. I'm nowhere near the level I think I should be at my age. I work my ass off but I feel like I'm not improving much most of the time. Kinda frustrating.

malcolmvexxed (member.php?u=27456) - I absolutely agree. Have seen my other paintings at my website? I actually have many pieces where I used no reference and only painted out of my head.

nickbenq (member.php?u=122767) - Her Chinese name is Tu Chao Hui.

Dilwica
11-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Excellent details. I love the colours you've chosen to use. Rich in athmosphere, very calm painting.

boyjian
11-16-2004, 02:17 PM
It's truely! eyes,, hear,,atmosphere,,landscape......

zero-bALANce
11-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Wonderful use of color! Great composition.

jintz
11-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Neat painting.

oxyg3n
11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Nice work, your technique is great.

andlam
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Simple yet powerful in the color usage.

Logan769
11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
cool pitcher. i liked how you did the background.:thumbsup:

Igor Trajkovski
11-17-2004, 03:03 AM
N-I-C-E!!!

Yes, nice my man, good work!

All best!

dwin
11-17-2004, 03:18 AM
GREAT WORK:thumbsup: :eek:

Lunatique
11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks!

I went ahead and made changes.

JamesMK
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
JamesMK (member.php?u=27885) - This always baffled me. People always tell me that I have a very individual style in my art, music, photography..etc, and they can always tell it's me. What is it exactly that makes my stuff appear the same?
Oh... tricky... partly the choice of subjects I guess, but mostly the palette, how you use the light and the specifics of the shading somehow... If I would transfer this to 3D terminology, there's Blinn, Phong, Oren-Nayar and Robert Chang illumination models :D

"appear the same" makes it sound bad though, which is... er... bad. It looks the way it does because you apparently have a fully matured personal style. Most CG artists haven't come to that point yet. So, it would look "the same" in the same sense as you easily spot a van Gogh from miles away... fully matured style.

African Gecko
11-17-2004, 11:20 AM
That is an awesome picture.
I love the hand and the cloth.
I think the fringe is a bit ragedy... if that's a word, and personally I don't really like those roof tops in the background. They look like chunky concrete things that distract your attention. Maybe something a bit more subtle and delicate would have been better?
Keep up the cool artwork
Michael

lidingjun
11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
nice~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oMyLoVe
11-17-2004, 01:43 PM
nice work,the lake could be darker……

olijosman
11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Great painting Robert, because looks like paint indeed!:) I love the brilliant work of the dress...:applause:

Gord-MacDonald
11-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Like so many other people in this forum, I have enthusiastically followed your work. The first indication of your desire to "loosen up" that I recall, was that terrific painting "Elena Formal Portrait".

I am wondering if one approach to reaching that goal is by being completely brash - slap down large brushstrokes with ruthless abandon - and don't go back to the work to refine it. Critique the work - compare your earlier work with the new work. Identify the elements in the new work (paint handling, approach to colour, shift in the dynamics in the design etc.) which advance your goals. Run through the process again - but perhaps be a little tighter than before. Etc. etc.

I believe the value of this approach (as opposed to moving forward, by careful increments), is that it forces you to step out of the familiar terrain (which you have mastered so magnificently), and in doing so, open up the the opportunity to discover methods more suited to a looser style of painting.

Just my 2 cents worth

Lunatique
11-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the comments!

JamesMK - Ahhh, I see. That also means whatever my shortcomings are all quite apparent in my collective body of work. Some might say THAT is what makes my stuff recognizable. :D

African Gecko - I see your point, but I'm afraid those things were done on purpose. I don't know if it was a good or bad decision, but seemed like a good idea at the time.

gordonm - I tried that. In fact, all of my paintings go through that roughed out sketchy stage, and they always looked unfinished somehow instead of being spontaneous. I'll keep trying different approashes until I get it right.

Meilinia
11-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Wow.. Thats so realistic, I first thought it was a 3d picture ^^; and so pretty!

noelt
11-18-2004, 09:17 AM
You liked it better with the boat did'nt you?

criminal
11-18-2004, 11:13 AM
its a beauty

krispee
11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah, ditto what everyone has said here, lovely work as usual.....not sure whether i liked the previous version better or not, doesn`t matter really......top stuff anyway....

krispee

waikit
11-20-2004, 09:22 PM
beautiful painting. amazing work

xcx
11-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Great work and beautiful wife.

rybeck
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
First I would agree that your style seems to be digging for detail which is fine, as long as blocked masses are placed right... The pilar and the woman stand straight, which is providing 'calmness' is interacted with 2 parasols at the righthand corner, which is bringing kinetic mood since its diagnol imagery line. If the woman is facing toward to the pilar, audience may wonder why she is facing that direction. In another word, give a payoff (such as items recall her memories, whatnot...), so that even the image itself can deliver the concept without title.
FYI, I am taking Visual developmental illustration class in this semester, and the ideas that I tried to share at here are came from what I learned throughout the course... I know it is really sour to take a critique, or two, but remeber, the critique make you improve your level of craftmanship...

nonmechallengeme
11-23-2004, 07:12 PM
wtf.god damn.ultra-greatly.
as my first view with this ,i mistook this is 3d.

Freefall Omega
11-23-2004, 11:40 PM
amazing

that is one beautiful looking traditional style painting

eyeorderchaos
11-24-2004, 02:07 PM
You are really a fine talent and obviously very hardworking. I also got drawn in to spending a lot more time at your website than I had intended, just because there is so much of interest there! Like me, you are into many creative outlets, and are highly motivated...I enjoyed reading and viewing your take on things, Rob!

noelt
11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Love your china photos man your stuff for character design for your short film was also awsome and your storyboards were pretty good too, there is a character design picture of a "man" in a suit covered in snow that i though was awsome, those look like they were drawn from your head, if they were then you are more then "a second rate artist at best". You should have kept the boat and just painted is some aerial perspective haze.

DarkChilde3DCG
11-24-2004, 06:59 PM
You shouldn't punsih yourself like that . . . you have created a truly wonderful piece here. Whatever goal you have set for yourself, that's fine . . . but you should pat yourself on the back for this one.

Nekura
11-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Wow.. absolutely beautiful work. Her face looks quite photorealistic. :)

If you told me you took a picture of her and applied some Photoshop effects, I'd believe you.. (I know you DID paint this.. I'm just saying it's that realistic looking :thumbsup: )

Mazucato
11-25-2004, 12:45 AM
for me its perfect...of course im just begining as an artist....i cant say a lot... but it works for me as inspiration...

iceblade
11-25-2004, 05:28 AM
:thumbsup: nice work man..i checked ur site..ur really talented man! great photos too!

Moon Dragon
11-25-2004, 07:04 AM
You gotta love it! It's absolutely beautiful!

:)

noelt
11-26-2004, 06:53 PM
I was on your site again checking out your Hangzhou photos, i love the dampness of the photos, the kissing flowers was very impressive almost all your photos were very warm and cozy (your wife's presence is in your photos). You are a very fortunate type of artist my friend (take my word for it) looking at your photos makes me.....aaawww, nothing. You remind me of Andy Murdock, the Lots Of Robots guy. You shoulda kept the boat :)

DigArts
12-01-2004, 04:41 PM
I really like your handling of the dress, particularly the patterned fabric relative to the form of the figure. Very nice.

liujun
12-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Nice painting

bHR
12-06-2004, 06:54 AM
:thumbsup: Very nice work!

singularity_cn
12-07-2004, 03:26 AM
Nice painting!:thumbsup:

3dflashart
12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Nice!it Is Grent Work.are You Live In Hangzhou?

Spc
12-07-2004, 11:40 PM
WoW
That's all i can say.
Really superb work.

:bowdown:

Apollo13c
12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
It's a great work

Daniel-McMillan
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Nice job Robert!

-DM

Nguyen
12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
beautiful work inspired by a beautiful wife... it's good to be robert chang! Great art man, good for you! :thumbsup:

M-eye
12-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I like that classic style....good ...

TCAB
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Inspiring and very good painting! Potent with feelings and hidden stories.

AmazeMe
12-13-2004, 08:04 PM
TCAB said it right

"Inspiring and very good painting! Potent with feelings and hidden stories."

Very well done thanks for sharing.

inky2
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Beautiful work-so clear and romantic,filled by sadness and love...

ZombieFrog
12-18-2004, 04:01 AM
very awesome. no crits

co_kla_t
12-25-2004, 07:35 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great & Awesome works Robert:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This one I made with free brushes from Robert
[My first experimental project with painter =]
http://www.geocities.com/fhusha/iiiiicha_pa_nih.jpg
Big Thanks for RObert...

Lunatique
12-26-2004, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the latest comments!

I don't actually live in Hangzhou. I was there on vacation with my wife for a few days, that's all. But I really loved that city--it's so much nicer than other cities I've been to in China. We currently live in Fuzhou.

After painting this piece, I've decided that digital really can't capture the kind of feeling I'm after, and I'm now going back to traditional oil paintings. Also, ever since I've started painting digitally, I sometimes get cynical and skeptical people attacking my works, accusing me of ridiculous things; I never had that problem when I painted traditionally. I enjoy painting traditionally much more anyway, so it all works out. I'll still do digital stuff, but probably about 50% less than before.

Dan - Hey man! What a surprise to see you here! How are you and Diana doing?

Spc
12-26-2004, 05:09 AM
I still think your digital painitings are excellent!

:eek:

GINTOWNLEW
12-27-2004, 07:09 AM
:thumbsup: :buttrock: :applause: very beautiful work!!

BigCircus
12-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Not only is the style nice with the palette knife strokes in the background but the colors are nice and subtle...and of course I agree with others; your wife is beautiful.

DL-
01-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Beautiful colors; great style... good luck w/ the Space Opera Challenge.

Eternally Mine
01-08-2005, 08:57 PM
When I first clicked the link I was not sure what I was to view. I then beheld an extrodinary picture and was amazed at the detail. Thank you:thumbsup:

Nedim_S
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I can feel through her eyes the "emptyness" and thinkin'.

TiCool
03-02-2005, 05:55 AM
If it's in HangZhou, and obviously from the girl's dressing, it's summer....will the bg a bit more green?:P Anyway, very nice piece of work!:thumbsup:

fani
03-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Nice painting. i'll give 5stars:rolleyes:

Aquamarine
03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
:D love it! very good detail and beautiful girl in the painting.

Mattus
03-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Love the brush strokes, it's awesome how you translate texture into them, very nice indeed

GraceGuo_79
05-22-2005, 03:42 AM
"HangZhou is the beautiful city in the world!" The job show it thoroughly, I like it!

jenn-yu
05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
nice to meet u here, i really love your work, u did the amazing painting!!:bounce: actually last time i'm a traditional painter also, maybe dont good enough and the fact problem(difficult to survive), and i found something interesting....call 3D art, then i change my way untill now:) ,actually quite enjoy. few years didnt touch traditional painting, i can see your spirit, hope u can produce more quality painting, i will always support u!! and hope can learn from you.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.