PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush learning DVD available

gameboy
11-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Check it out at digital-tutors (http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/product.php?prod=zbasics). The CD is supposed to contain over 3.5 hours of instruction.

[Edit: The video from digital-tutors discussed in this thread comes on a CD, not a DVD. I made a mistake in the thread title :blush: , but can't change the title. However, on December 15, 2004, gnomon (http://www.gnomononline.com/) will release 3 new DVDs on ZBrush - Introduction to ZBrush by Meats Meier (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mme01.html), ZBrush Production Pipeline by Meats Meier (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mme02.html), and Digitial Sculpting:Human Anatonmy - ZBrush to Maya workflow by Zack Petroc (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/zpe01.html).

Maya is being used as the example 3D app in the pipeline, but they say the techniques demonstrated can apply to other 3D applications as well.]

Reyes
11-18-2004, 08:43 PM
great,any where in uk that has this?

Goon
11-18-2004, 09:55 PM
this doesn't look much better than the practical guide. Other than it being a video instead of a PDF, why buy it?

mustique
11-19-2004, 01:39 PM
this doesn't look much better than the practical guide. Other than it being a video instead of a PDF, why buy it?

I agree. Also the cover art doesn't make justice to Zbrush 2's power.
Anyway... Will hold on for Meats Meier's Gnomon DVD's.

markyjerky
11-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Extremely Disappointed before even Viewing !

Are you sure there is a .... ZBRUSH DVD ?????

DVD ?????

I was sent a QuickTime CDROM.

Probably fool on me for not reading at their site. I'll double check. I'm getting more pissed by the minute. The Digital Tutors page is not very upfront about the format. I just realized that the DVD expectation was SET HERE ! and then I never saw mention of the format until it arrived. Stupid me ! Stupid Them ! Stupid Everyone ! But first and foremost buyer beware.

I wanted to sit in my living room and watch this in my easy chair.

cresshead
11-20-2004, 08:36 PM
well dvd or quicktime..not concerned about format so much as the content and teaching on the disc iitself...i've ordered this to see if z brush 2.0 is worth buying and if this can give me a "leg up" into using z brush without reading 100's of pages in a pdf...

so placed order and will let you know if it's worth the price when i go thru it.

steve g

dotTom
11-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Just order it from DT's US site. I'm based in London and ever time I order something from DT it arrives within the week. Must say, next to Gnomon, DT is my favourite training group.

cresshead
11-20-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah their stuff looks good [seen some maya stuff]..interested in z brush to work with 3dsmax4.26/xsi 4.0 and lightwave 8.2 on a film project making uber detailed characters if possible...i also hear that z brush ships with ZERO printed manuals so will need something like this to get up n running without hassles...i ordered from the website..no problemo and it's on it's way to u.k to me as we speak!

though books/pdfs are good they ususally miss things out and windup users in the proccess..i prefer to look and learn than read the learn..ideal for a visual/animated progam.
i teach 3d at notts college and create video tutorials rather than printed as they can't fail but show ALL the details of a tutorial....not like printed books with mis spelling and parts skipped over to save space etc...

looking forward the to training disc.

...then i can decide on wether to buy Z brush 2.0.

can't decide from using 1.55demo...it's totally different app by the looks of it.

dotTom
11-20-2004, 09:42 PM
...then i can decide on wether to buy Z brush 2.0.

can't decide from using 1.55demo...it's totally different app by the looks of it.Take it from me, if you even remotely like the 1.55 demo you'll love version 2.0. I use it alongside Maya, but that's irrelevent. Get version 2 today.

BTW, I just got a reply on the Pixologic ZBrush Forum, and they're about to offer their excellent Practical Guide in printed form - useful for those long tube journeys...

jimzepellin
11-21-2004, 05:01 PM
I ordered mine on tuesday and got it on friday. You are better ordering it straight from the US cuz the exchange rate is pretty good at the minute. It cost me about 32. I've only started going through it so I'll get back to you when I've sussed it out.

CGmonkey
11-21-2004, 09:33 PM
it's pretty basic and doesn't teach you a huge set of new things. The stuff he taught had very little to none interest to me whatsoever. This can very well be learned of the zscripts that zbrush freely has to offer.

Though I must say the tutorials do come with a few tips. Purchase this only if you've never set a foot in zbrush.

jimzepellin
11-23-2004, 06:12 PM
it's pretty basic and doesn't teach you a huge set of new things. The stuff he taught had very little to none interest to me whatsoever. This can very well be learned of the zscripts that zbrush freely has to offer.

Though I must say the tutorials do come with a few tips. Purchase this only if you've never set a foot in zbrush.
Yep I agree. There's not a lot here that the manuals don't tell you. If you are brand new to Zbrush and you prefer video tutorials to reading manuals, then get this, it's clearly explained and it will get your work flow off to a good start. There are a few critical points that never got from the manual or the online forum but I'm in two minds if it was worth the money.
Digital tutors has a 25% off sale so it should be a bit cheaper.

cresshead
11-23-2004, 07:57 PM
this cdrom/dvd sounds ideal for people like me who have an intersit in z brush but want to learn the basics fast adn without toomuch time spent in books or reading from the screen a pdf...i'v ordered it and it's now on its way...once i go thru i i can decide to either get z brush or skip it...batter that buying and finding out that it's "not for you"...

if it's a "goer" i'll be usiing it with lightwave8.01, xsi 4.0 foundation and 3dsmax 4.26 with character studio3.2

the angler fish video sure sold me the idea that i ought to take a closer look at it.

jimzepellin
11-25-2004, 11:23 AM
this cdrom/dvd sounds ideal for people like me who have an intersit in z brush but want to learn the basics fast adn without toomuch time spent in books or reading from the screen a pdf...i'v ordered it and it's now on its way...once i go thru i i can decide to either get z brush or skip it...batter that buying and finding out that it's "not for you"...

if it's a "goer" i'll be usiing it with lightwave8.01, xsi 4.0 foundation and 3dsmax 4.26 with character studio3.2

the angler fish video sure sold me the idea that i ought to take a closer look at it.

If you are new to Zbrush then this will get you straight to the nitty gritty. I've had Zbrush a few months now and if I'd had this disc when I started it would have been great. I already had 90% of the information on the disc so it didn't seem such a good deal for me. I think there should have been a bit more material in there.
Zbrush is quite hard to get started with, but I can't recommend it enough. Once you learn a few simple rules you can get into some real detailed modeling.

yog
11-25-2004, 10:06 PM
I can recommend this video tutorial.

I've been meaning to make a start with Z-Brush for months, but the interface never made sense to me, and I just didn't have the time to sit down and work through the manual.
After watching these videos a lot more about the interface makes sense and has given me the incentive to make time to learn more.

True, it's just for beinners, but then again I'm a beginner :thumbsup:

skello
11-26-2004, 12:00 AM
i agree it looks like stuff already covered in the practical guide....
i'd love to see a tutorial dvd by pixolator and/or Dave cardwell showing how they approach a model from concepting to completion......mmmm tasty!!!

arliss
11-26-2004, 04:47 PM
One of the greatest things about Z-Brush and pixologic is the highly enthusiastic and extremely helpful user base- just cruise over to ZBrushcentral and you will find a wealth of information. The zscript concept is a fantastic way to learn and there are a ton that come with the program (thats how I learned). Look for ambient-whispers modeling sessions as well as anything from pixolator himself. In addition, the practical manual pretty much covers all you need to know to get started and to produce-

For those who don't want to do the digging, I guess this Cd-Rom would be helpful:)

mo_modeler
11-27-2004, 12:00 AM
I just bought the ZBrush Training and I got to say I think it's pretty good. The customer service is awesome, and she mentioned that new training will be coming soon for all users. the exercises you do and while you work make this enjoyable way to learn new software. I am sold for future training. the resolution and price are both reasons for me to buy the others.

thanks DT

MO

DeepFish
11-29-2004, 03:30 AM
I had ZBrush 2 for a while, but just couldnt concentrate on it. The written tutorials are great (Practical Guide) but for some people like me it is much easier to digest information when you see somebody do it in real time (class, or video). This DVD is absolutely GREAT for such people. Yes it is very basic, but after watching it, I now actually understand how Zbrush works, and based on that, its workflow and interface. It actually feels like somebody just opened up my eyes to it. And you can not really get pissed at them if you expected more advanced stuff, since it does say "Zbrush Basics". If you are a more visual learning person, and you are new to Zbrush or had trouble understanding general workings of that program, this DVD is absolutely great. I know that I will definitely get their Advanced Zbrush DVD once it comes out.

gameboy
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Sorry to those of you who thought you were getting a DVD (my mistake :blush: ). I've since changed the title of this thread so as to not be misleading. I too thought it was going to be a disk released in DVD format.

I still think learning videos such as these are useful. For me at least, the ideal situation is to learn initially by seeing how something is used in a video, and then going back to written documentation afterwards if I want to learn additional details. It seems faster for me on average learning in this way.

onlooker
11-30-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm sure they are fairly useful. Probably more so that not. I've heard people joke about people being self taught, and DVD training is much more like having your master in the room than it is trying to lift the information from the page alone. Using the DVD as a "get going" guide, and then using, and reading while working through the documented PDF instruction should be a fairly intuitive learning path.

(DISCLAIMER: I have not seen the DVD)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.