PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Elf

ThomasMahler
11-13-2004, 10:44 AM
http://members.chello.at/thomas.mahler/wire16.jpg

Hey there,

I just came back from a birthday party and worked a little on my Elf Project... I'm not sure if it looks good right now (drank a little too much I 'spose... ;-), but I thought I'd just start a WIP thread here, to get some fancy crits http://206.145.80.239/zbc/images/smilies/smile.gif

The initial model's been created with Wings and Silo, boxmodelling, 100% quads, now I'm going to paint displacements and textures in ZBrush - Man, I love this program.

Here we go:

EDIT: Deleted the images, for updates just scroll down! :)

Sorry for cross-posting, if anyone's already seen that in another board, but I don't seem to get a lot of crits and I don't really know why... Should I take that as a good or a bad sign?

Dutchman
11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
WOW, I really, really like that 'serious' facial expression!!! Great work! I also like the way you presented the muscles in his neck! :) I can't see it good; is there yet some disp?

Only point'a critique; maybe you should make the ears a bit less 'perfect'...?! They look a bit too 'calculated out' ;)

Anduhm, that you've drunken too much is not visible in this work, in my opinion ;) If I would have had a 'chilly evening' I'd model far different things ;)

Greetz & Good luck, Gijs

smooth
11-13-2004, 04:37 PM
hi, i really like the elf that u've done..i do agree with dutch about the ears, make some scratches there...
are you going to countinue this model, i mean to model all the body etc ?
waiting for more..:)

ThomasMahler
11-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Hey Guys,

Dutchman: Thanks! :)
Well, after posting these pics most people told me that the ears are too "clean", too "fleshy", etc. - In fact, I didn't even work on them yet in Z! I'll make them a tad thinner, a lot more "stringy" and so on!

Smooth: Thanks, man! I thought about creating a complete body and rigging it, but I just don't have the time right now - So I'll just make a bust and maybe some emotion facial displacements and that'd be it. But I already have another project in mind where I'll definately utilize ZBrush (and maybe Silos Topology Brush) to complete a whole body - But I won't say too much about that right now, this elf has the highest priority right now :)

Don't hesitate to post C&C, guys, I could definitely need it!

ThomasMahler
11-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey guys,

Just a small update:

EDIT: Deleted the images, for updates just scroll down! :)

C&C's always welcome!

ThomasMahler
12-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Man, I'd love to have more time to work on my little friend here, but school won't let me at the moment...

Nevertheless, I just sat done for a while and refined my elf a little further. No Projection Master yet, no textures yet http://206.145.80.239/zbc/images/smilies/frown.gif

(I really hope I'll have enough time during christmas to finally finish him up!)

ThomasMahler
12-20-2004, 10:50 PM
http://members.chello.at/thomas.mahler/elf_zb_26b.jpg
Higher Res Version: http://members.chello.at/thomas.mahler/elf_zb_26.jpg

yahyaehsan
04-06-2005, 07:45 AM
wow good work, really like the textures.

revell skubuhdu
04-12-2005, 12:38 AM
it's looks to me like i need to be getting down with some z-brush. thanks for doing the side by side comparison to make me realize i need to be getting on top of this program.

i don't have any complaints, but i can tell you what i like. i am loving the setting of the eyes, and i love the thickness of the bottom of the ears and the way it kind of folds as it extends outward. i also like the low placement of the ears. the scaley scalp is another thing...that i like! yeah good stuff. good textures.

ThomasMahler
05-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Rendering for my portfolio:

http://members.chello.at/thomas.mahler/render00.jpg

jimzepellin
05-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Great work Thomas. I would'nt like to meet your Elf, Dwarf and Orc down a dark Alley.

hindus
05-15-2005, 08:56 AM
can you share skin shader or light settings ? btw one of the best zb work i ever seen :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AlexLiki
05-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Beautiful work! Please talk about the shader and the light!

cheers

jamihn
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Another voice for more on your shaders. Was this final image rendered in ZBrush? The texture to the skin is quite good.

Sandr0
05-17-2005, 09:11 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great! :applause: :applause: I've never seen such elf, extremely interesting character :bounce:

rastko
05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Awasome model. This is one of the best models I ever seen. I like it very much.

ThomasMahler
05-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Whoa, thanks a lot for your comments! I just checked my mails and saw all these replies - what a surprise, thanks! :)

I started off with Sokars Skin Shader, which I modified quite a lot to suit my needs - It's an awesome shader already, but if you tweak some stuff, it's a really, really awesome base for your skin texture as well! You can download Sokars Skin Shader over at ZBCentral, I highy recommend that. And drop Sokar a few nice lines per mail, I'm sure he appreciates it! :)
The light-setup is a simple 3 lights solution, really, really simple, actually!

The elf isn't textured at all yet - I'll still texture him in the future, I guess, we'll see. He's actually supposed to be some kind of "outcast", parts of his skin are burned and crusted, guess that's why he's so meanish looking, lol ;)

@jamihn: Yeah, the Orc, Elf and Nerrick all were rendered inside of Z - It's a great package for stills, but I want to bring Nerrick back into Maya in the future and have some fun with him, but that's, of course, still top-secret, so: Shhht! ;)

Thanks for all the comments again, I'm always happy to get some feedback!

jamihn
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Friggin brilliant! I'm excited that ZBrush can achieve such great renders. It was totally worth my investment. Your fallen elf is really inspiring.

tilite
05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
i love the detailing on the back of his head.. it that an extreemly excellent precise (in every way) bump map or z brush at its finnest?

ThomasMahler
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I actually want this to be crusted, burned skin - I really need to texture it... No bump map was used, it's all geometry.

aliasali
05-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah,nice job on texturing...i loved those textures and bumpy stuff on the back of the head..:thumbsup: keep it up..i think lips are a little bit weird here,u know it just dosnt match that design! by the way,ur doin good...would u up[date,or its a finished pic?

Kassar
05-30-2005, 03:30 AM
Excellent model man. Now im use the great Zbrush and in my opinion is one of the best 3d software than they exist.

-=N][K3R=-
06-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Nice Work! Say, man, what do you use - Z-spheres or prepared model?

lovisx
06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
hello Thomas, I was wondering about the darker shading in the creveces of your model, is there a way of exporting that has a texture?

superlayer
06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Zbrush looks excellent.
I never tried it but this is something I am eager to learn and to play with.
Thanks for inspiring me with your great model.

rastko
10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Any update :)

FranOnTheEdge
11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Love the crusting/burnt skin on the head, did you say that's done in ZBrush? Cos if so - I really wish I could use it.

Is that displacement mapping or modelling?

Excuse my ignorance, I only use Wings3D. Never used anything else. (Oh, except Bryce)

Fran

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.