PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush alphas for photoshop\paintshop

grrinc
11-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Guys and Gals

Do you know of any clues as to how to get Zbrush Alphas configured correctly for using a brush in Photoshop\PaintShop\Bodypaint?? I have created some alphas of which i intend to use as brushes for bump mapping purposes. Unfortunatly, I am getting a stepping effect at the edges where th original 50% grey of the bumpmap isnt the same as the Zbrush alpha edges. I hope this is not too silly a question!!

Thanks for your time.

frogspasm
11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Not terribly silly. I had to figure it out myself a few days ago.
[0,0,0]black will have no effect and [256,256,256] white will effect your mesh the most.
Try exporting any of the stock alphas in zbrush and seeing what they look like.
I don't think you can add and subtract with an alpha at the same time. You have to switch
between Zadd and Zsub modes.

~Mike D.

aminuts
11-13-2004, 08:30 PM
try moving the ref slider to blur the edges a bit in alpha menu of zbrush. I turn that on most of my alphas to about 10-15 depending on the alpha then my intensity way down to start and up it til I start to see edges and overlapping then go back down a bit for smooth blended overlaps that aren't visible.

ohyeah....if you modify the alpha in that way....then before exporting make sure you save it with the modified alpha button first then export. That button is in the alpha menu at the bottom I think.

grrinc
11-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Cheers guys. I have got this far.......

I have sized the document 512*512 and filled the document with what i think is 50% grey (RGB all at 128) and that has given me a good start point. I have also just worked out how to do a tileable texture as well which helps. I will keep post an update with how this and your suggestions got on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.