PDA

View Full Version : ATI / Nvidia FPS comparison

gs1creative
11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
For anyone interested I did a very straight forward FPS test...

I setup a scene with 8 cubes rotating and each cube subdivided to about 25 000 polygons. So the total poly count was about 200 000, and I had 3 lights in the scene.

On my ATI 9800 Pro I got
14.4 FPS (objects selected)
22.4 FPS (objects unselected)

My ATI card unfortunately overheated and fried itself while I was playing Doom3 :-< (These OEM 9800s are prone to overheating)

Anyway I got hold of a Leadtech Geforce 5950 Ultra and this scored
18.7 FPS (objects selected)
25 FPS (objects unselected)

This was all in shaded mode (maximised viewport). I also made sure the frame rate wasn't being cut to the set scene rate. And using default settings on both cards.

ATI does have better antialiasing though ;-}

My system's specs are:
P4 2.8 HT (1mb cache & 800mhz FSB)
1Gb Dual Channel Memory

Cheers
Gary

Klowno
11-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Or you could turn your ati card to a firegl one via driverhack, and score
three times more fps ;)

Rabid pitbull
11-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Or you could turn your ati card to a firegl one via driverhack, and score
three times more fps ;)
Three times?? That seems a little exagerated, any links curious to see the facts on this.

Klowno
11-12-2004, 11:21 PM
I quote myself from another forum,

"Just wanted to tell a little about the radeon to firegl patch thing.

I have used them drivers for some time, but today I wanted to see how much faster
they are compared to catalysts. So I installed catalysts 4.9 and tested them with xsi.
I have this head rotating 360 degrees animation test scene that I used.

With the catalysts xsi reports 4.8-4.9 fps.

Then I installed firegl drivers for my card and the test was playing at 16fps.

More than 3 times faster.

My test card was radeon 9800xt.

I did not test with more that that one scene but for me it was enough to see that the firegl
drivers makes it roughly 3 times faster.

Just some info on that http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/smiley.gif "

End of quote.

As said I only tested with one object and one light as I remember but the difference was huge. Perhaps the difference in fps would not be as huge if the polycount would have been increased alot more but I dont know as I didn't test that. The mesh was pretty dense allready though.

Rabid pitbull
11-13-2004, 02:07 PM
That is pretty impressive, if I had a ati card i would definitly patch it this way. Have you had any problems with stability, or other applications?

Klowno
11-13-2004, 02:24 PM
No stability issues, actually pretty sure firegl drivers are much more stable than catalysts with 3d apps. But ofcourse if games are important for you I think catalysts would work better then.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.