PDA

View Full Version : Crashing when there are 2 models...

theboykidney
11-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I have a scene with a model in it. When I try and duplicate the model, it crashes.
When I try and import the model [instead of duplicating it] it crashes.
Ive also tried merging 2 scenes with a model in each. it crashes.
It doesnt seem to like 2 of these models in a scene.

The only thing that works is instancing it, but I need to offset the animation on it, so its not really a solution, unless I could make the instance a model?

Any ideas would be helpful!

Cheers, TBK

cgJD
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
One idea is to hide everything within the model before duplicating it - make sure you branch select then hide to get everything. This will find any problems with geometry operators or textures that will cause crashes when displayed. By hiding everything you can unhide things in turn until you find a crash.

As you say you have animation on the model - it could be related to the animation mixer (are you using the mixer rather than just raw keyframes in the anim editor?). There are lots of problems relating to multiple mixer nodes (although usually only with models within models (ghost model problems).

Try removing all animation (save the scene first ;-)) and remove the mixer from the model then try and duplicate.

If the animation isn't in a mixer you could try moving all the objects out of the model and create a new fresh model.

Sorry I can't give definate answers - a lot of this is trial and error. Hopefully these might help isolate the problem.

Hope you manage to find a solution

JD

theboykidney
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
cgJD,
you nailed it, I had to remove the animation [was a clip] and store it externally, now im in the middle of importing all the models and adding the clip.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.