PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the animators?

ed209
08-24-2002, 05:46 AM
I must say I'm becoming very dissapointed by the lack of animated content being posted in this forum. Why can't it be more like the Gallery forum or the WIP forum. I'm constantly seeing some really kick ass work being posted their. Damn it...we need more animators around to make this world a happier place.

bentllama
08-24-2002, 08:03 AM
Animation can be a very difficult thing to post. There are many issues that are halting people from posting links to their aniamtion.

The biggest reason might be...

Bandwidth: this is a forum with over 10,000 users...sure, not all users will download your animation...but a shortanimation can have your site's allotted bandwidth depleted in a very short time...and from what I have seen most of the users here are on some sort of free hosting service...

Frinsklen
08-24-2002, 11:48 AM
It is not only about bandwidth, I think. It is true that there's more people who spend their time with modeling, texturing, lighting, than people who spend their time with animation, I'm not sure why.

Just let me find max5 and this world will be a better place soon... :D

FKMaster
08-24-2002, 05:15 PM
i´m here;)
animation take time....i´m working on a animation and i´ll be post it soon.....but time is problem....

Rogue
08-25-2002, 04:07 AM
I agree with Frinsklen. I also don't know why either. I guess it is just different passions and disciplines. There are occasional animation posts in the gallery, but it's a small percentage compared to modeling, texturing and lighting excercises.

If you've got 'em, post 'em. I'd gladly check them out. :)

VShane
08-25-2002, 04:40 AM
Hey guys, I am normally hanging out in the 2D forum, and I was wondering if anyone ever sees any 2D animation here? I ahve ben working on more clearly defining my 2D animation work and was wondering also if you knew of anyboards that focus primarily on 2D animated shorts....not underwear...short films :eek:

Thansk ahead of time!

WK

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-25-2002, 10:56 AM
An instructor of mine once said that it's a lot harder to be bad at animating than other CG areas.

That is, a mediocre model or so-so texture job doesn't irritate our aesthetic sensibilities as much as poor animation jobs. There's good animation, or there's bad animation; there's very little gray area.

So, either people just decide "forget this!" and persue other topics, or people who are learning are hesitant to show obviously poor work. Who knows.

gaggle
08-25-2002, 12:32 PM
and let's not forget animation comes (generally) after modeling, texturing, lighting. You'll find more modeling-pieces being showcased simply because it is the first step of 3d. Naturally you find less showing animations because, well hey, you get the picture :)

Plus animation is a tricky thing. Extremly difficult for many to even start on animation. There's a passage in "The Illusion of Life" that mentions how Disney wanted to expand at some point back after their first few movies. Said they wanted a staff of.. what was it.. 500 animators or something to that effect. But they had to give up, there simply weren't that amount of quality animators to be found :)

But hey, I want more animations showed on these forums just as much as the next guy.

ed209
08-25-2002, 03:26 PM
All good points. Unfortunatly yes there are allot of factors that keep this forum dry from animatastic content. I do agree with the "Illusion of Life" ... good animators are few and far between. Maybe that's the reason there is no great work being posted here, they're all too busy working. At least I have "Bert" to keep me happy for a bit.

VShane
08-25-2002, 04:30 PM
It also may have to do with ignoring peoples questions and not helping anybody out, that could also be a reason people have stopped posting here just like I am going to do now KNOWING the guys in the animation section are too busy with thier "discussion" to help anyone.

Thanks for nothing
:thumbsdow

ed209
08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Well you could always post an animation that you wan't some feedback on...:applause:

bentllama
08-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Why so jaded Wacom Knight?

What do you need "help" with?

By the way Wacom Knight, I happen to be a 2D trained animator, and the board with the most 2D animation people on it has to be the one at www.animationnation.com... but do not be a d!ck on that board...there are some 2D animation greats/pros that frequent those boards...

PS: your welcome

Originally posted by Wacom_Knight
It also may have to do with ignoring peoples questions and not helping anybody out, that could also be a reason people have stopped posting here just like I am going to do now KNOWING the guys in the animation section are too busy with thier "discussion" to help anyone.

Thanks for nothing
:thumbsdow

Ripley
08-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Wacom whining never gets you anywhere. I think the reason ppl didn't answer you original Q is because this thread is about a different topic. Why not start your own thread if you want talk about something completey different. And how about showing some class while you're at it.

on with the thread..

First thing I do when I come to CGtalk is look for animation tests to crit. I even crit the bad animation cuz I think once you start realizing the whole weight and timing thing, you start to "get it" and some new animators just aren't there yet. But with crit.s I think they start to figure it out. I hope so anyway. If I had a library of rigged characters I'd probably do lots of tests at home and post them here. But I hate modeling so work is the only place that sees my animation tests. Sorry. Maybe one day I'll get my ass in gear and build something.

John Lee
08-25-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi there

I finished my charater test for my short film Troll Bridge! Ihope you like it. It was done in mesiiah and rendered in lightwave 7.5 thanks!! Let us know what you think?

Quicktime 5 - Sorenson3
Download! - 3.7 meg

http://www.lemon-tea.com/john_avi/Get_Down_2.mov

if you have problems viewing it conatact me and i will post some different version

JOhn

http://www.charactreranimation.co.uk

FKMaster
08-25-2002, 10:27 PM
really good motions :thumbsup:
but a little bit too fast.....looks like a stop motion animation......

pete
09-02-2002, 03:54 AM
I haven't checked out animation file yet, its actually just under 6 megs. It's good that you posted it and, but I think you should compress it a bit more perhaps with DIVX or somthing...

I think thats a bit of a downfall with the animation section actually..
I'm heaps more likely to check out the WIP section because it's a bit easier on the download sizes but I think people could compress things to an appropriate size here.

Also neolee40, you should start a new thread from with your tests.. It would probably get a good response, and ed209 would be happy..

ed209
09-02-2002, 04:16 AM
If people are looking for clips of fellow animators work, tips, tutorials, feedback and more I recomend

http://www.cg-char.com/

The focus on that thread is primarily character animation. Seems like allot of talented animators are posting there work on that site. Highly recomended visit if you havn't aleady had a chance to check it out. You may just learn something.

mo_pic
09-03-2002, 11:24 AM
One thing that crossed my mind is that we could make a short together. Take a group of “volunteers” and create something worth seeing.

P.S. I even have a 1st price-all categories-Oscar-winning story that would be just fine for that much professionals doing one project. Tell me if you would be interested in a crazy idea like that.

John Lee
09-03-2002, 12:11 PM
TO Sfininator

I have posted a new Version which is high res but only 3 megs. I hope this makes it easier for you to View! I don't think my test animation are good enough to go on a site like this!!!

thanks

Neolee40

http://www.characteranimation.co.uk/index.html

just CLICK on the big image when you get to the site!!!

ed209
09-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Great idea mo_pic...love to hear your idea.

Rogue
09-04-2002, 02:55 AM
mo_pic: Sounds interesting. But how do you plan to bridge the software gap and keep a consistant look?

neolee40: What do you mean that your work isn't good enough to go on a site like this? Your animation is fine. You did a fine job of demonstrating your skills and it's obvious that more time, blood, sweat and tears went into it as the head models, car models, and creature models on this site. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and certainly shouldn't feel that it doesn't add up.

pete
09-04-2002, 06:30 AM
hey neolee40,
your animtation was cool.
It was a little bit flicky, but that gave it aweird stop motion-ey style. You should definately put it as a thread though...

John Lee
09-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey Rouge and Sfinkinator

Thanks for the pat on the back!! This is my working progress character! CHECK OUT THE LINK My strong point isn't modeling. And i'm want to be an animator!! So i thought a character with pivot points would make my life easier!! when animating Tell us which one you thinkis better???/ Hopfully once mycomputer has rendered i will have some animation for you guys to see!!!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19758

p.s Do you think there should a section of CG TALK just for animation's???? casue when you post you animation up people don't really get a cjance to see it casue so much stuff goes up and the animation you just posted just goes furter down the list????

Thanks guy's

Neo

mo_pic
09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Good point there Rogue. Didn't think about the different software. I must say I have no idea how we could fix it, but I'll think fo something.

ed209 - I'm not sure if it's a good idea to reveal my little secret to everybody. It's like telling somebody how the movie ends. But if you are interested I can send you the story. Till then I'll keep it a secret.

P.S. Hey ... just changed my avatar. Do ya like the pig?:) :) :)

maybe I'll change my nick from mo_pic to mo_pig ;)

Rogue
09-04-2002, 01:47 PM
mo_pic: I don't remember what your other avatar was. The pig is cool. Let us know if you can determine a way for multiple people to work on your short.

neolee40: That's exactly the type of character one should have to learn to animate with. Simple and effective....with an interesting look. He looks like a blast to animate (refering to your pivot point guy). Let's see that animation!!! Let's see the animation!!!!

John Lee
09-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Rouge

I posted what the final render will look like!

http://www.lemon-tea.com/john_avi/Pics/Ted_2.jpg

50% done!!! 50% to go!!

Neo

Hey man, have you got any thing i can look at???? What do you think to Cg talk having a animation section just for short animation's??? So it don't get filtered with all the Cg still and stuff????

Rogue
09-04-2002, 05:16 PM
You've got some great poses going on with that character. I'm looking forward to see the animation. I've just within the past few months starting putting a lot of focus on extreme poses and hand gesturing. Yeah, yeah, I'm slow.

I don't have anything that is available for download that I've rencently done. There was a thread in here that was an animation competition with a box and sphere. I had a friend loan me some webspace, but I don't remember the links to the animations I did. I'll see if I can dig it up.

The only thing I have available is a spot done for work called Dangerous Foods. It was done a little over a year ago. With the exception of modeling and texturing the characters, I did it in three weeks. In the middle of which my father passed away (it was sort of expected though). It was a grueling 3 weeks, but I still enjoyed working on the spot. There's tons I'd like to change, but the project is long since over. I've grown alot as an animator since then and have done other animations, but they're not available on the internet. I've got to get onto the bosses about updating our animations.

Anyways, it's 11 megs. Remember, it's not the greatest animation, but it's still fun. I wished I could do it again with the things I know now. :thumbsdow

http://www.magneticdreams.com/dangerousfoodsdivx.htm

I'd love to see an animation gallery, but there are so few posts, it isn't justified. They do have the new naming conventions for threads posted in the gallery in which you can easily determine it's content, which was a great idea. So it's pretty easy to find the animations.

John Lee
09-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about that rouge:rolleyes:

I have seen the animation a very nice? Didi you do that all your self?? Where do you work???

Neo

ilasolomon
09-04-2002, 10:36 PM
dear Bentllama i recommend that you start & manage some
mini contest/challenge in this forum, which the focus will be on the
motion/timing/movements/tricks/...., not modeling/rendering/lighting & ...
something like this cgtalk's monthly challenge
we did something like that a few months ago & it worked, not bad
(remember Box & Ball?!)
cheers

John Lee
09-05-2002, 02:32 AM
Hey guy's there an animation waiting for ya!!And IT's 1meg
. GEt IT.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=182397#post182397

Neo

Rogue
09-05-2002, 02:50 AM
neolee40: I just posted a reply to your thread in the gallery. Great work man. How long have you been animating and how long did it take you to do that animation? Not modeling or setup, just animating the spot?

Yeah, I did the whole project except for modeling the characters and props, and texturing them. That was done before hand. We got the approval and the audio for the spot three weeks before the deadline. I setup the characters (thank God they were simplistic) and animated it. Actually, a work mate did the animation of the close up of the popcorn. He isn't an animator but wanted to learn so he stayed with me until 2:00 in the morning on a Friday night while I sort of gave him a crash coarse in keyframing and Lightwave. He did good, and I tweaked the curves a little bit for him and helped him through some technical issues, but he pretty much did that section.

Anyways, it was a crunch all the way to the deadline. If you'll notice, the fingers on the characters very seldom move and remain pretty stiff. I simply didn't have the time. :)

Man, I've got to get some web space!

ila_solomon: The Box and Sphere contest did work well and was a lot of fun. I agree that there should be some kind of challenge but so few people seem interested. Maybe if enough people give interest, and we come up with some rules and time frames, Bentllama will implement your request.

John Lee
09-05-2002, 04:06 AM
WOW i can't believe you did all that in 3 weeks??? where did you say you worked????

Thank You Rouge well animating took me about 1.5 solid!! I blocked it through!!! the animated it . Then cleaned it up!! I have theblock through if you want to see it. But now looking back on it i would change alot of things like putting more weight in the jump and smoothing out the right arm on one of the sentances!!!

Web space:- get some from www.easyspace.com it's dirt cheap and you get a domain name as well it cost me £35 for a domain and 30megs of space i think??? Hey man thanks for your feed back!!!

Rogue
09-05-2002, 06:43 AM
Oh, sorry, I work at a company called Magnetic Dreams. You can go to magneticdreams.com and get an idea, but there isn't many of our latest animations posted on there. The head cheeses have been focusing on a sales presentation for the sales guy, and not so much on the website. But I'll drop some hints.

Yeah, 3 weeks. As I said though, the characters were easy to setup up, wasn't very polygon heavy, and I didn't get to go in and animate little things like the hands and fingers unless it was neccesary. There also wasn't any lypsync or any complicated animation. Oddly, I don't think I would be able to do it today because I'm much more picky. Plus, I know Lightwave's interface like the back of my hand....helps alot.

Sure, post the block through. It'd like to see that.

Thanks for the tip on the webspace. I've already checked around and my server offers a decent deal. I just haven't chunked the cash into it yet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.