PDA

View Full Version : referenced shape animations

jrex
11-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm finally up and running with XSI 4.0 and am getting used to referenced models. Having used Maya before, I know how invaluable referenced models can be. Anyways, my question is, can I reference face shapes and is there a way for me to animate them? Whenever I import a referenced model, the mesh says locked (which is good) but when I open up my shape compound property, all my shapes are locked as well. Can I have a locked mesh AND be able to animate shapes? I spent all night looking for a solution but haven't found one so far. I'm thinking I may just have to abandon the referenced model and just go with a normal one.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Ablefish
11-12-2004, 08:47 PM
You can definitely animate shapes... With ref models you will often see a red lock symbol on parameters, but that just means that parameter can't be removed - you can still animate it. In terms of shapes, you will have to enable Save Animation Mixer Modifications within the Ref Model Node, if you want to animate and save that animation.

But it sounds like you're not even able to adjust your mixer. That I can't help you with - I just tried a test by creating an object with a couple of shape keys, exported, re-imported as a ref and I was able to open up the mixer and move and add clips as I liked.

How does it show the shapes are locked?

jrex
11-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply! Here's the process I go through that gives me locked shapes:

I create a few shapes for a mesh I want to reference.
Then, I select Deform=>Shape=>select shape key
I use these preferences(mixed weight mode, object relative mode, apply selected shape keys)

I do this so I get an automatic shape cluster group.

Then I export the model, including the original shapes

When I re-import the model as a reference, my shapeweight cluster is locked along with my mixing sliders. When I move the slider, the shape changes, but as soon as I let go of it, it goes back to it's default setting.

I don't see any difference when I have enable mixer checked or unchecked. I have a feeling I don't have the right options checked, but I haven't seen too many other ways to do what I want to do.

Thanks again!

jrex
11-12-2004, 11:10 PM
UPDATE:

I just tried turning "auto key" on and it seems to work that way (even though it is still locked). This seems strange to me, but hey, it works. For some reason I am unable to edit this without haveing auto key on.
hmmm, interesting.

Ablefish
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
I think you're dealing with a shape issue(bug), not a reference model issue, jrex. I ran into a similar situation when I was just creating shapes with "Apply Selected Shape Keys" active. I was able to snap it out of it, by some combination of opening ppgs, saving/deleting keys... I've never been able to repro it reliably enough to send to support.

If you can reproduce the problem consistantly, you should send it to support so they can sort this out. It's very annoying.

jppolk
11-26-2004, 09:45 PM
HI, I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM TRYED IT IN DIFERENT COMPUTERS AND DIFERENT MODELS AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS, SLIDERS STILL SNAP BACK, jrex UPDATE WORKS FINE THE ONLY THING IS THAT YOU HAVE TO ANIMATE WITH "AUTO KEY ON".

THE OTHER THING IS THAT LETS SAY YOU WANNA HAVE A MIXER ON YOUR REF MODEL, WHEN YOU CHECK "Animation Mixer Box" IN THE "Local Modification to Save panel" (Referenced Model PPG) IT REMOVES THE "Shape Weights"(Custom Parameter Set) SO THAT DOESNT WORK, I ALSO TRYED TO MAKE A MARKING SET BUT IT WILL NOT SAVE ON THE FILE.

judeb
02-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I am currently suffering from this problem too!
Has anyone discovered a reliable way of keying the shape sliders without having the auto key on??
Jude

jppolk
02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
the only solution i found for this is i stoped animatig the shapes with the "Shape Weights"(Custom Parameter Set) and started animating them using only the animation mixer, you still have the same sliders, but dont forget to activate the mixer on the referenced model ppg or else it will not save on the file.
i haven't tryed it on 4.2 but i dont think they fixed it.

judeb
02-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah I am using 4.2 and the problem still arises.
Ah well, I'll have to use the animation mixer instead then!
Thanks for the reply,

Jude

carsonmorton
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I am having a problem with my animation mixer as well. I think it might be somewhat similar in nature.

Instead of doing the facial animation in the shape mixer, we linked the shape tracks to objects that you could grab and move. Then we would key that translation.

But... when we import the model as a reference model there is a problem with the links on our shape track. The links are still there and active, but all the keys within the link (the ones from setting relative values) are lost except for one.

we turned on the local save option for the mixer. Then we put the keys back in the link so it would work properly agian. and it did, for a while. once we closed the sceene and reopened it, those keys were gone again. the animations we set on the controlling objects are still there, but the links are goofed again.

It seems like it might be related to your problems, but who knows.

and suggestions?

jppolk
11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
carsonmorton,

i suggest you try to link the movable objects directly to the animation mixer keys instead of the Custom Parameter Set, the problem comes from that property page when referenced models are used, you can do exactly the same link you did before but its more direct since the Custom Parameter Set ends up linking to the animation mixer anyway.

tell me if it works

peace

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.