PDA

View Full Version : why does'nt xsi remember???

Levitateme
11-12-2004, 01:24 AM
I came from maya, and whenever i changed a option in like...a modeling tools option box, it stayed like that from now on, and i could always go back and set to defaults. but yet in xsi, absolutly everything goes back to its default always, i mean this is so counter productive always having to switch to the results you want. i see that we can save presets, still that makes little sense when it should just save what you always do. am i missing something about xsi? should it be working like maya? maybe i changed a option in the pref's i dont know, but i hope someone knows why xsi does this and if i can get it to remember.

Ablefish
11-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Well, some settings persist and some don't. Many of the display and viewport settings are saved with the scene, but will reset in a new scene. Some things that don't persist in maya, like component selection also stay. Many of the preferences will persist even in a new scene.

If you're talking about commands, then no, you haven't set anything incorrectly. Most of the commands, whether it's creating a primitive or applying a deformer just execute based on their own defaults. There isn't really an intermediate step like in maya where you open up the command and then apply it.

It's a bit of a tradeoff, I suppose, because you're not forced to deal with that intermediate step of setting the parameters and then applying - if you want you can just let it do its thing and adjust it afterwards. Also, in XSI it's pretty easy to select several objects and open up a multi-property page and adjust settings for several objects.

However, if you always want to create a cube that's 10 units instead of 4, you can edit the spdls(rtm and search forum). 4.0 brought a big reorganization of how preferences were handled, and I expect that in later versions it will be much easier to adjust the default settings for commands.

Levitateme
11-12-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks ablefish, you are always extremly helpful. i get upset that xsi dont do these very very few things i have problems with, and then i get the info from you and i feel fine all the sudden. thanks again.

Ablefish
11-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Heh, glad to help.

The important thing is to take deep breaths and Don't Panic. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.