PDA

View Full Version : Have you used Simplemaker ?

Silverdog
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Was wondering how many on this forum have used the 'Simplemaker' plug-in and if so, what is
your opinion of it?

Does anyone have have any info about when the english version of 'Simplemaker Pro' will be
available? This looks like a killer plug-in! Any late news would be appreciated. :)

AdamT
11-12-2004, 12:50 AM
I have Simplemaker. Very good plugin. It does a pretty good job maintaining a quad mesh if that's what you want, and it preserves UV mapping. Overall poly reduction is good too. Unfortunately I don't have any news about the new version.

Silverdog
11-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Thanks AdamT, Good to know that it retains most quads. I was concerned about what the effect of a lot of tris would have on renders. The Pro version with the 'Fingers' and 'MrPepper' features look very handy.

MJV
11-12-2004, 04:32 AM
simplemaker also preserves selection sets. I would highly recommend it, except that it's one of those plugins that are tied to your serial number, so every time your SN changes it gets broken, and then because it's something you don't use all the time, you don't bother getting the new SN to use it, because it's a lot of trouble to do so, and then when you actually need to use it again, it doesn't work. That's my history with simplemaker in a nutshell.

deljs
11-12-2004, 04:45 AM
MJV nailed it exactly!

It's definitely better than Cinemas native reduction.

Ric535
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
I would highly recommend it, except that it's one of those plugins that are tied to your serial number, so every time your SN changes it gets broken.
how often does your sn change?

wuensch
11-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Simplemaker creator has a field on his homepage for update of serial.
Serial changes only once a year when a major release comes out.
Update is free of charge, so the trouble is the same as with any registered plugIn.
I agree it is nicer not to have to do anything at all, but the creator has been delivering me new serials for years now, he is very reliable.

I give simplemaker highest voting, the current version will give you a polygonreduced model of your character as animation proxy with all the weightings (ClaudeBonnet, Vertexmaps) preserved with a couple of clicks-- in a quality of detail preservation that beats C4Ds polyreducer by 10:1.

Its a real life & time saver, definitely one of my most valued plugIns..

I am totally looking forward to Simplemaker Pro coming out.

Olli

MJV
11-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Simplemaker creator has a field on his homepage for update of serial.
Serial changes only once a year when a major release comes out.
Update is free of charge, so the trouble is the same as with any registered plugIn.
I agree it is nicer not to have to do anything at all, but the creator has been delivering me new serials for years now, he is very reliable.

I give simplemaker highest voting, the current version will give you a polygonreduced model of your character as animation proxy with all the weightings (ClaudeBonnet, Vertexmaps) preserved with a couple of clicks-- in a quality of detail preservation that beats C4Ds polyreducer by 10:1.

Its a real life & time saver, definitely one of my most valued plugIns..

I am totally looking forward to Simplemaker Pro coming out.

Olli
Don't get me wrong. I have the same problem with all plugins that are tied to the SN. It's not just simplemaker. Every plugin that I've ever purchased that is tied to a SN is currently broken, because since upgrading to R9 I haven't gotten any new serials. I have enough trouble just keeping up with the serials of the dozen or so full applications I have. If all my full applications then required me to contact a dozen different developers, all on different schedules, every time I upgrade something, then forget about it. It would be impossible. Therefore, I really appreciate it when small plugin developers keep them SN free, and I'm even willing to pay a double priced premium for the privilege.

In the end I blame Maxon more than the plugin makers for the whole mess, as Maxon could keep the portion of the serial that is tied to plugins the same across versions, thus entirely solving the problem for everyone.

wuensch
11-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I agree on the nuisance it creates.

I dont know if its right to put the blame on Maxon, as every pluin-maker would have the possibility to use a serial that is independent of the c4d serial.

Registration stuff is always a pain.
But it is no argument against Simplemaker, since you can simplify the objects in your 8.5 version of Cinema until you have the new serial.

Olli

Srek
11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
In the end I blame Maxon more than the plugin makers for the whole mess, as Maxon could keep the portion of the serial that is tied to plugins the same across versions, thus entirely solving the problem for everyone.
This issue has been given a lot of thought over the time, but we have yet to find a doable solution. Everything so far would have made the distribution of CINEMA much more cumberson and inefficent.

Cheers
Srek

ronhondo
12-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Is there any info on status of Simplemaker Pro and Dr. Pepper??
I have no German language skill. Just ordered SM, waiting for S/N

Venkman
12-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Darf-

Or anyone else who has had contact with the developer-

Dr. pepper looks like a normal map plug-in. When I saw the .tif loaded into the "dr. pepper" shader, it looked purple and pink and what not (like a normal map).

Any word on this thing coming to life? Normal mapping would be AWESOME for someone like me who wants to cut rendering time for animation. For hi-res stills I would use SPD.

The reason why I ask Darf is that any chance this is being integrated into 9.1 or something? I think these guys made Flash Ex, so perhaps that would explain the slience and lack of replies from the dev team.

If it releases I'm on that sucker like white on rice.

darf
12-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Erhmm... We do not know the SimpleMaker developers. Sounds like a good tool though. We don't have a clue what will be in 9.1. We do know that we are writing tools for normal mapping. More for game engines than final rendering but they could be used for that. For characters and the like I am sure SimpleMaker Pro will be better as they are doing the poly reduction and would have apretty accurate map of old geometry to new. We use projection methods that work well for us, maybe not so much for characters and the like.

Regards,
darf

moka.studio
12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
don't forgett that there is a FREE version of SimpleMaker as well, with a limit on the number of polygons it can handle ( though the limit is vey generous).
a Great plugin.
jp

Venkman
12-28-2004, 05:48 AM
sorry darf-meant to direct my question to Srek. You guys with the four letter names confuse those of us with dislexia and a short attention span sometimes... :thumbsup:

Anywho, glad to hear normal mapping is going to be in the works. Great, great way to help Cinema expand into some game development workflow.

I cannot stress enough how pleased I have been with Cinema's continued advancements. What a great program!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.