PDA

View Full Version : Component spacing

revert
11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
I've modelled half my creature and some of my points are a little off the center of the grid for mirroring. I've selected all my points on the border edge and i'm trying to snap them in X to the center of the grid but they're keeping their spacing in X. Looked at the snapping options and i can't see an option to disable keep component spacing. Anyone help?

JDex
11-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Note my reply in this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=185586) thread earlier today.

revert
11-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks JDex, i did see your reply from earlier. I thought if you select an entire edgeloop of points that there must have been a way to translate them in X with snap to grid enabled and have all the points snap to the grid and lose there spacing in X only. Scaling them to lineup seems like a bit of a workaround.

JDex
11-11-2004, 02:01 AM
If it is a workaround... I think it's as fast as any tool made to do it. I guess when you learn with wings3d, you learn to think like this. I wish you could grab a boundary ring and just "freeze" the position permanately in an axis... or better yet a true virtual mirror.

revert
11-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Freezing in one axis would be perfect. I think a script is needed! The only reason i mentioned this problem is maya can snap to grid all points in one axis losing thr spacing.

Oh yeah, meant to mention. When i'm scaling and holding down shift, i'm not snapping, holding shift is enabling uni mode. Any ideas where my settings are wrong?

JDex
11-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Start dragging before you hit shift.

Ablefish
11-11-2004, 02:45 AM
If you have Transform->Collapse Points for Snapping/Absolute Transform toggled ON, then you can just scale or translate the points by entering in a number in the MCP. This will pay attention to your translation mode as well. If you're modeling a half face, punching in 0 for scale in X with the edgeloop selected should do the trick.

revert
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Great, thanks for all the help guys.

StephanD
11-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Having a flatten/align command would be cool but this does the job,I believe Lightwavers are still using a similar workaround as well.

revert
11-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Hey JDex, i still can't get the snap to work when scaling, tried with rotating and it's fine. In the pic attached, i have my points selected, set my pivot, i started to scale in X then press shift but it still activates uni mode. Any ideas?

http://uploads.bestupload.com/redir/3419.jpg

Obizzz
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
StephanD: a bit off topic but LW does have an align command so no need to do workarounds there.

Scaling in one axis works just fine though.

JDex
11-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey revert... sorry about that. it's Ctrl... not shift.

Memory plays tricks on you some times when you use it so much and it is automatic in use.

revert
11-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Ok, thanks, now it's working. i totally understand what you mean about memory and tricks :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.