PDA

View Full Version : Firing a Gun

ColinCohen
11-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Does anyone have any tips in regards to animating someone firing a gun, specifically the effect on the person firing it?

I can't seem to figure out the proper recoil (which body parts and how much) and the timing of the recoil.

Thanks.

titaniumdave
11-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Well you have to consider a few things, What kind of gun, handgun/rifle, heavy round or light. If you have a gun range near you I'd suggest going to it and shooting or see if something there will let you film them. You could also try watching movies or anime. You might even want to try picking up a stick and trying to feel it out yourself. Just remember when you shoot a gun it pushes back on you so your shoulders will move back. As your shoulders go back your elbows bend which makes your hands go up.

ColinCohen
11-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try your suggestions.

By the way, it's a light pistol. One of my problems, I think, is that the character fires the gun three times in succession. If I isolate one shot, it looks almost okay; but three in row, . . .

Again, thanks.

ColinCohen
11-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Just remember when you shoot a gun it pushes back on you so your shoulders will move back. As your shoulders go back your elbows bend which makes your hands go up.
That did the trick. :thumbsup:

I was bending the elbow without moving the shoulders back.

Orona
11-11-2004, 08:21 AM
http://www.jefflew.com/news.html

The Killer Bean

titaniumdave
11-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Good to here you got it working, now post it so we can all see. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.