PDA

View Full Version : Apple readies release of OSX 10.2

Array
08-23-2002, 08:29 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-955063.html?tag=fd_lede

Believe it or not, im actually a fan of OSX. The only thing keeping me from using it is the fact that it wont run on an x86.

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 02:28 PM
If this baby will run on x86 PC's it's be the end of Microsoft :)

mlykke
08-25-2002, 04:54 PM
hmm yeah..... or something.

Personally I would rather run Linux than some apple os. But then again it all depends on which tools there is available to a os.

And up till now both apple os'es and Linux are still missing some.

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 05:29 PM
I think Linux is have may be 5-10 % of app what OS-X all ready have... As for missing i miss 3DMax and Soft XSI - but i actually don't work with these apps , so I can say what i don't miss any thing :)

lildragon
08-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Incredible, all I see in that article, is "Apple tries to match existing feature set in Windows XP but falls short"

meh!

Grey
08-25-2002, 05:40 PM
OH boy!!!

A REAL honest to goodness OS war!!!

lildragon
08-25-2002, 05:46 PM
it's not an OS war grey, it's based on facts, read the article ;)

salud!

Grey
08-25-2002, 05:51 PM
yes, I know!

Microsoft Vs. Apple... a real OS war!

As in real competition.

Apple probably just shot the government case against Microsoft in the head too...

lildragon
08-25-2002, 05:57 PM
ah ok, I thought you meant another "OS war" here heh, well in that case I must agree.

Now I know why Apple was on such a spending binge lately :hmm:

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Incredible, all I see in that article, is "Apple tries to match existing feature set in
Windows XP but falls short"

meh!

U kidding? XP don't have even half of features what apple busted to OS X. And
OS X was appear before XP so who is really trying to mach?

lildragon
08-25-2002, 06:09 PM
I'm not getting into that old and very tired debate, I'm just going by what Array presented here nothing more. ;)

salud!

Grey
08-25-2002, 06:11 PM
we can debate all day about what OS has better features (XP sux, but OSX sux worse cause Steve Jobbathehut made it :D ...)

What I see coming is a very very interesting corporate war between two giants slugging it out on a grand scale... and pulling no punches!

It's gonna be fun! Who brought the popcorn?

lildragon
08-25-2002, 06:19 PM
I have my seat secured in the front row center baby http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/cwm/3dlil/lurk.gif

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 06:21 PM
He he :beer:

Grey
08-25-2002, 10:48 PM
woah woah woah...

I'm re-reading the article... and I must have misread it before, because I can't find the part where it say's it'll run on Intel machines...

gabe28
08-26-2002, 03:39 AM
Y'know.... I'll tell you the main reason Apple will fail to win Window users. Software. My software has cost me far more than all my hardware combined. If it were as simple as buying a new $2000 Mac they might have some sucess, but people use their computers for software. Software is the what leashes you to an OS, good or bad, not new OS features, stability, etc. Unless dual OS licences become the norm for software packages, I don't think there'll ever be much migration away from Windows to Mac.

Hell, I like Macs. Their cool. But years ago I bough a Windows machine and started buying software. Now I'm so entrenched, I'd have to win the lottery to switch over.

Maybe Mac should work on making more companies release software with multi OS licences. That's their only hope, IMO, to gain an signifigant market share.

Grey
08-26-2002, 04:40 AM
indeed!!!

I'm wondering how many mac users have more than two thousand dollars in software installed?

If I had to replace all my existing liscenses at full price, I think I'd pay in the neighbourhoold of six thousand just for 3D Software. I can't imagine what they guys using Maya, Max and XSI would have to pay...

beaker
08-26-2002, 07:09 AM
>>I'm wondering how many mac users have more than two thousand dollars in software installed?

Many do, a large percentage of the multimedia field are on macs. Just buy Director Shockwave Studio and Photoshop and you have allready spent over 2k. Add the other additional must have multimedia tools: LW/Cinema4d/Maya/EI for 3d, Dreamweaver/Go Live for web, FCP/Premiere/Avid for video and you have allready easily spent 6-8k.

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 07:27 AM
The cast of software is absolutely the same like in Windows platform...
U have same price for Maya or Photoshop etc. And if u using LightWave u get dual license (Pc and Mac) in price of one, also plug is usb so u can use this with Usb Hub and work on Mac and PC in the same time.
But the best thing is price for Shake - u can bay Shake an dual Mac and this will be still cheaper then PC or Linux version!
This is great tactic! Apple need to bay several programs like Max and Soft (what newer be ported to Mac ) and simple mute them for Windows platform!

red_oddity
08-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Eugeny
But the best thing is price for Shake - u can bay Shake an dual Mac and this will be still cheaper then PC or Linux version!
This is great tactic!

No it's not a great tactic, Apple bought Nothingreal and decided to f*** all Window users of Shake by completely ditching all support and to never release another update.
Why is it that the user is punished for the grudge Apple has against Microsoft, i'm sorry but with this action they have proven to be no better than Microsoft, the're just another big OS corporation that f***s the public whenever they please.

As for OS-X 1.2, where's the downloadabl update guys, you don't expect me to buy this for $200 do they? I mean, what have they changed? All i see are stupid mail and chat functions added that i don't need.

Anyway, i better stop now, too big a grudge agains both OS developers already...

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Apple use the same tactic like Microsoft used with Softimage...
"If the Mountain don't go to Muhammad - Muhammad will go to Mountain!"
As for download where is downoadabl XP ? And why i need to spend 200-300$ for Windows when i bay new PC? And all i see in XP is stuoid animations and more stupid quastions from Billy (just try to find something or go to your C drive!).
And the last thing - Apple is hurdwere company not another maker of OS!
U are right let's end this thread...

studiomiguel
08-26-2002, 08:22 PM
I'll update and keep on truckin'. I'm not looking forward to integrated chat features or the .mac crap. I'm sure my mom and dad, grandma and a million other consumer users are all abuzz about this stuff... but it just gets in my way. Another feature I have to dissable to work the way I like to work. I'm an Apple adict, but I'd like to see things like faster machines, increased stability (anyone who has to reset their mouse speed twice a day will attest to this one) and CHEAPER costs. I've spent the last five years pouring the lions share of my 'expendible' income on hardware and software and to be quite honest... I'm tired of it. I know I won't continue to exhaust myself financially for the sake of the mac forever, how many others will?

Please, just be STABLE and FAST!

thinKer3D
08-27-2002, 09:36 AM
:: From a programmer standpoint of view, Apple OS X 10.2 has no chance against Windows XP Professional! hehe...personally, it's all a joke and sensless hype with nothing to back it up with! ::

thinKer3D
08-27-2002, 09:42 AM
:: I wish Apple would find a third-party to provide alternative to MS Office so I can gladly watch MS shatter Apple's martket in pieces. ::

Eugeny
08-27-2002, 09:46 AM
If this looks like a joke why so many programs was ported to this?
Personally i heard opposite opinion what XP is completely sux!
As for Office - Apple have his own Apple works - it's mach easer to use and mach stable!

Array
08-27-2002, 09:48 AM
thinKer3D- look up openOffice and starOffice. those might have macOSX support.

EDIT:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/

star office does NOT yet have support for OSX. it is a very robust piece of software though. I use it for any work I have to do.

http://www.openoffice.org

There is indeed a MacOSX version of OpenOffice. Enjoy :)

beaker
08-27-2002, 09:53 AM
>>From a programmer standpoint of view, Apple OS X 10.2 has no chance against Windows XP Professional! hehe...personally, it's all a joke and sensless hype with nothing to back it up with!

For everyone in the visualfx world it works perfect from a programming standpoint. All our linux/irix tools port over almost without a hitch and all our csh, perl and python scripts come over no problem.

With going to windows we run into alot of issues going between our other *nix boxes and it. Especially for scripting, shell scripts work to a point if you use tsch or cygwin in windows. Perl and python have alot of differences from the *nix versions. A variety of different syntax and such between the two.

ObjC is an awsome language, what C++ should have been.

>>I wish Apple would find a third-party to provide alternative to MS Office so I can gladly watch MS shatter Apple's martket in pieces.

There are allready plenty of allternatives to MS office. I know lots of smaller places that are really starting to question whether a $500 office suite is worth it anymore. StarOffice does 90% of what M$ office does and only $50. Openoffice (opensource versoin of staroffice) is free and runs on most operating systems.

angelman
08-27-2002, 12:43 PM
the main problem I see is that OSX only runs on apple computers which whilst extremely desriable and sexy are too expensive and too slow. Even at the top end. Try and find where macs come in the highend3d maya test database... the x86 is just so much faster no matter what apple says about their 'supercomputer' in the real world intel or rather athlon platform is just much much faster, certainly for 3d and I dont even buy the 'apple is best for 2d' I can't believe that there is much in it these days for running photoshop etc...

Grey
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Beaker, I was about to mention OpenOffice which is the only suite I've used or even considered installing in several years :D

http://www.openoffice.org

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.