PDA

View Full Version : ATI releases RenderMonkey

Array
08-23-2002, 08:19 PM
http://www.ati.com/developer/sdk/radeonSDK/html/Tools/RenderMonkey.html

It's good to see graphics companies making the push towards cinematic style graphics :)

As a side not, I heard a while ago that rendermonkey can actually read RenderMan shaders....ill try to verify.

DrAdamDinosaur
08-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Has anyone used or seen rendermonkey in action? What are your thoughts on it and could you give me a litle more info about it. Thanks.

Marcel
08-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, this program seems to dislike my good ol' Geforce2MX.

I don't see any of those nifty matertial effects, only error messages about missing vertex-create-thingies.
Guess my card isn't DirectX 8 compatible...

MCronin
08-26-2002, 04:06 PM
I've looked at it. Most of the problem I have with it is that my GF3 doesn't support the latest pixel shader functionality. Guess I'll have to buy ATI;) It's headed in a great direction, but it has a long way to go yet. It's an IDE for real time shader development. Programmers can develop and preview shaders, and attributes of the shaders can be tagged for artists to edit. What I really like about what ATI is doing is that they are thinking of artists. Nvidia's Cg and Effects Browser are great, but they are completely geared at programmers. With Render Monkey, artists with technical inclinations can make use of it. Whatever HSL becomes the standard, it needs to have an IDE like Render Monkey so that artists can use it.

There's not much to the documentation, and glancing through it, I didn't see anything about loading .sl or .slo. That'll probably be for a future release. It looks like it's going to be great, but I'm not going to play with it anymore until I get a Fire GL X1 or whatever.

DrAdamDinosaur
08-27-2002, 02:39 PM
So does anyone know if this app witll always remain free or when they get to v1.0 will people have to start paying for that as well as an ATI card to run it on? My guess is that its only free until hte bugs are removed.

Array
08-27-2002, 09:59 PM
it will remain free, and it *should* run on all directx9 compatible cards, not just the ati r300/9700.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.