PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Ian Walker

wibvisual
11-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Ian Walker has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

wibvisual
11-09-2004, 08:04 PM
*Deep Breath.... Ok, This is my first CGTalk Challenge. Hoping I can live up to the incredible standards that have been set here. Regardless i'm looking forward to the learning experience and producing a nice piece.

My idea started with a refugee theme. That developed into the idea of an orphan who will one day rise to heroism. A fairly common theme, but I feel its one that lends itself to powerful imagry and impact.

After a few sketches I came up with this.. Feedback would be great.

http://www.wibvisual.com/images/SpaceOpera.jpg.jpg

Daniel-McMillan
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
*Deep Breath.... Ok, This is my first CGTalk Challenge. Hoping I can live up to the incredible standards that have been set here. Regardless i'm looking forward to the learning experience and producing a nice piece.

My idea started with a refugee theme. That developed into the idea of an orphan who will one day rise to heroism. A fairly common theme, but I feel its one that lends itself to powerful imagry and impact.

After a few sketches I came up with this.. Feedback would be great.I like your sketch - the idea is very clear. I only wish there was another way to indicate "hero" besides a gun in a child's hand. After all, the whole vicious cycle will keep going apparently. WHile we laugh and scoff at Afganhistan Taliban teachng their 9 year olds how to use an automatic weapons, America portrays the killer, the rapist, and the gang banger as both interesting and cool. Elevating gangsters to top ratings on primetime. All the while teens are making suicide pacts in a school. There is no escape from what is right, when what is wrong challenges us in an exponential factor that is global (as we see today). It is so time for new heroes to be depicted. Perhaps what you suggest, is the best idea of them all. With all of the adults gone - the children have no bad role models. Perhaps their faith and hope can fertilize a new world! A child's world is full of hope. They want to live, and are already living life to the fullest - being who thay are, and being real.

(Sorry to rant, this is your thread) I guess your vision inspired a lot of stuff in me. Can't wait to see more!

-DM

victor throe
11-09-2004, 09:01 PM
i like the idea

i agree that you might want to rethink the gun and teddy look

it would be more powerful to keep the child innocent

wibvisual
11-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Wow... while I agree with the things you have said.. I believe the tragedy, loss of innocence in the face of War is in fact the message of the piece. Sometimes not pretty but I think it's honest... *edit.. I went back and re-read your post again.. I'm hoping that the image of the child with the gun doesn't come across as an ideal. What i was hoping to portray is the moment in our future heros life that he was confronted with the enormous challenge that lay ahead of him. His right hand holding his innocence his left holding his future reluctantly.. (hoping it's reading this way). If i'd wanted to portray a child holding a gun as 'cool' I would have put him in a different stance. Holding the gun aloft welcoming the violence and struggle that his life is to become. This moment is the moment that is so impactfull on his life that he can either remain a child or be driven to fight to regain what he has lost.. in my mind.. become a hero.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.