PDA

View Full Version : virtools & xsi

bigbackcomics
11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi all:

In light of the announcement between softimage and virtools re: xsi compaltibility in the virtools interactive development environment I have a few questions.
http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=29002

First are any of you xsi pros using this combination of tools and how stable and robust is the integration?

And secondly does anyone know if the functionality is available in foundation?

The development of web 3d applications is extremly interesting to me and this announcement is intriguing :)

Cheers and thanks!,

k-ay
12-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Greetz Jeremy,

eventhough it's a late reply, i hope you will find it helpful.

First of all the XSI2Virtools Exporter is actually still a beta Version. It is actually a PlugIn that is giving you the possibility to write Softimage Scenes as Virtools nmo's, that can be then loaded into Virtools.

The general functionality of the plugin is that you are able to export mesh objects, materials and textures, as well animations and bone animations.
You actually have to freeze and plot your animations befor exporting.

We are currently using it in a GameDevelopment here, and are facing some difficulties, especially with the export of bone animations, there seems to be still serious bugs inside.

The Maya and 3DS exporter for Virtools are much more stable, and should work better.

There is actually no real integration, into neither of the programs, and you have to do the whole development of Behaviours, Shaders and the like in the VirtoolsDev. The exporters are just enabling you to use those programs as Modellers and AnimationCreators (for the static animation of objects). But even most of the Animation, especially for games/interaction, and also most of the Material/Texture/Shaders you will do with the VirtoolsDev.

I can only recommend it, it's a real great Development Environment for creating GamePrototypes, but it's not coming cheap.

greetz kay

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.