PDA

View Full Version : How to i get my Alpha channel to work in Lightwave?

policarpo
02-06-2002, 10:30 PM
using 6.5....

I have three .TGA files that are graphics of TEXT that i am applying to squares.

I want the background to be transparent instead of opaque in my render (so i can see through 3 layers of text). The text is white, and the background is black.

I saved the textures as 32bit .TGA with the Alpha knocked out of the text, but it doesn't seem to render as transparent (knocked out) backgrounds in lighwave.

Is there a setting that i am missing to flip on in the Surface Editor?

I've place the .TGA in the Color Channel of my texture maps.

thanks.

-policarpo

DaveW
02-06-2002, 10:50 PM
use the alpha channel from the tga in the transparency channel in LW. I don't remember if you can do this without seperating the targa into two files.

Chewey
02-06-2002, 11:41 PM
Yeah, you might want to save out the alpha as a seperate file and use it for a clip map. That way you won't need to use a transparency map which will still require a map to remove specularity etc. It depends on your geometry whether or not a clip map will work for your model. Clip maps work on a per object basis and not by surface.

Clip maps can use uv mapping.

studiomiguel
02-07-2002, 02:04 AM
you can tell Ltw to recognize your embedded alpha in the image editor...... I can't remember the exact drop down window, but you select your image in the image editor and on the right hand side of the pane you can tell Ltw that you want it to recognize the alpha.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.