PDA

View Full Version : silly question : cleaning up mesh?

f_jo
08-23-2002, 02:21 PM
ok this is kinda silly question for you guys but i need to know what "clean up the mesh" mean...

is it converting the whole triangles on models to quads? did you guys really do that? searching on hundred of polys for triangles and converting them into quads?

or

is it about moving the vertices just to make the polys look neat?

really sorry if this is annoying :(

Joril
08-23-2002, 04:18 PM
When I say "clean up that mesh" I mean the following.
Sometimes you see things like polygons with 25 points in organic (subdivision) modeling. I'm used to working in LW and there you are forced to model tris and quads ony, which almost automatically results in a good looking mesh. So those 4+ polygons are an abomination in my eyes.
I also mean that there should be no (or as less as possible) overlapping and non-planar polygons in the mesh.
And that the polygons should be neatly organized and equally spaced. This prevents you from getting (clay-like) pinches in the smoothed model.
Hope this helps.

FatAssasin
08-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Since I work in games, it usually means to reduce the poly count so that you don't have an geometry that isn't absolutely essential to the model. It would also mean to look for things like unwelded vertices, polygons that are inside the mesh and won't be seen, polys that are sitting right on top of each other, and making sure the model will animate well.

f_jo
08-26-2002, 07:22 AM
thanks both of you that really clears everything up :beer:

Nemises
08-27-2002, 03:44 AM
In High poly terms , I take it to mean:

- Organise (or re-organise) your vertices in a practicle manner so that someone binding/skinning can do so without needing your help ;)
-Eliminating 3 sided and 5+ sided polygons where ever possible, as these can (I've been told) cause problems come mesh deforming time (ie soft skinning animation)

At the end of the day, you are probably the one who has to deal with any problems from not haveing a "clean" mesh anyway....possibly thats teh ebst way to learn why a mesh should eb "cleaned" :)

f_jo
08-27-2002, 07:05 AM
so 5 sided polys are still tolerable for animation?

io,
08-27-2002, 08:22 AM
it's not against the law to have 3 or 5+ sided polys, but the surface will look bumpy.
can adjust that bumpy shape, but u have to move those points on a area that is not screatch or bend that much - or u can use it where u need a shape like that.

f_jo
08-27-2002, 02:25 PM
i've some bad experiences with triangles, but not sure about 5+ polys, my models seems fine with 5 sided polys... the pic is the legs of my character i thought the body has too much polys and the legs don't need that much polys so i collapse some vertices on the thigh so the area i marked consist of triangles

BTW i heard that graphic processor can only process triangles, is this mean all polys on low poly model need to be converted to triangles or is it ok to have quads on 3D software and leave the graphic processor/game engine process those quads into triangles, i mean, all polygon wether it's quads or 5+ sided consist of triangle faces don't they?

f_jo
08-27-2002, 02:28 PM
sorry double post

Nemises
08-28-2002, 02:42 AM
All shapes are eventually broken down into Tri's anyway I believe...ie. a Quad has an "invisible" edge diagonally making it become two Tri's.

f_jo
08-28-2002, 04:20 AM
i see that's what i thought :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.