PDA

View Full Version : What's w/ the hard drive spin down and click?

singularity2006
11-09-2004, 06:14 AM
I've had this Seagate Baracuda IV 60GB drive for a long while now but lately, it's been acting VERY strange. After a prolonged period when the system is off, upon turning it on, the bootup will be fine to the point right before I see the Windows 2000 logon screen. It is at this point where I get a blank screen and then get a sound of the hard drive spinning down .... then I hear a click and the drive spins up and Windows functions normally. Now, if I restart the computer, it boots up with no problem..... but after several hours, it does it again. Seems like it's like a temperature thing or something... kind of like a car engine. Overall, my computer still works okay, but the drive doesn't sound right. My HD Smart is enabled but it is not giving me any error warnings.... any ideas on what is going on?

Sieb
11-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Does it spin down when the computer is just idle? Cause the hdd can be set to spin down under the screen saver settings to save power.

Check the cabling to the drive. I had this start happening with my laptop harddrive until I reseated the ribbon cable to it.

Otherwise, I would RMA the drive if its still under warranty. Drives aren't supposed to spin down unless told to do so.

singularity2006
11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Nope, my poewr saving features are all disabled cuz I run the UD Agent whenever the system is on. It's soooo bizarre that it only spins down on startup. It's even more bizarre that once the drive is "warmed up," it never spins down upon a restart.

singularity2006
11-25-2004, 07:36 AM
I just bought me a new hard drive. Seagate 7200.7 Series 120GB w/ 8MB buffer and got the drive working. I had it duplicated using the Seagate DiscWizard utility and it seemed to work fine. But I get that weird spin down click and spin up sound still from a cold startup! Could it be something wrong w/ the mobo? The mobo is kinda old... Soyo DRagon KT400 ultra platinum ed. Some thoughts, please.....

singularity2006
11-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Someone mentioned that it might be a bad PSU. On cold starts, is it possible that the PSU is not regulating power enough or not supplying enough to get the drive spinning at its proper speed? Could that be it? I mean, it seems reasonable enough because when the system is "warm," I don't get this hard drive spin problem.

TheNeverman
11-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Got the same thing happening on a Maxtor 120gig (7200rpm ATA drive)...
400 watt power supply - fairly new - put the drive in my secondary machine and have no probs...

=/

singularity2006
11-28-2004, 04:55 AM
Got the same thing happening on a Maxtor 120gig (7200rpm ATA drive)...
400 watt power supply - fairly new - put the drive in my secondary machine and have no probs...

=/
Dang, I wonder for u, could it be the mobo? But u said the 400 watt is fairly new... but what's the brand and model? Generics... I generally don't trust for that long. I was tempted on getting the Antec NeoPower, 480 watt...... I loooove the design of modular cables, but at a price of $115.... hehehe... a bit steep for a PSU. But I love the design.... and i HATE clutter. =)

TheNeverman
11-28-2004, 06:37 PM
It is a generic PSU (EaglePower?) but I paid damn near $90 for it...
The mobo is a Asus A7V8X - and the problem seems to have just started recently... is it possible for an IDE channel to just 'die'?

n8

Vagab0nd
11-29-2004, 12:23 PM
I had a similar problem with a HD, later on it would make teh click sound when "at rest" sometimes when it was in use to. then one day... it jsut did not want to wake up. I would back it up and have it looked at. I am not going to say it is the same problem but when ever I hear a Click from my HD , I know that the end is a comming. Heck look at how crappy warrenties for HD's are now, they used to be a fre years in come cases up to five or more, now they are all on a year. Tells you that the faith the companies have in theor products is waining.
be sure to back up your favorite stuff man.

singularity2006
11-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah, it's pretty strange... it's not really clicking only, it's a spin down w/ a click, like the drive is going into sleep mode, or waking up from it. I'm starting to think it's the PSU, but I'd like some more thoughts before I invest in a new one. If I do get one, it's gonna be the Antec NeoPower 480 watt.

Andyman
11-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I've been having some PSU problems lately, and I've noticed my HD do similar things while booting up. I don't get blank screens, but it does click once in awhile, and it's speed varies noticeably - to the point where I can hear it, and it takes awhile to read off it sometimes.

So, it could very well be your PSU. Try putting your HD in another computer and see what happens.

singularity2006
12-01-2004, 04:23 AM
I've been having some PSU problems lately, and I've noticed my HD do similar things while booting up. I don't get blank screens, but it does click once in awhile, and it's speed varies noticeably - to the point where I can hear it, and it takes awhile to read off it sometimes.

So, it could very well be your PSU. Try putting your HD in another computer and see what happens.
Does it happen only on boot or does it happen regularly throughout the operation time of the system?

Andyman
12-01-2004, 05:03 AM
It was happening all the time. Except today it's behaving fine - don't know why.

elvis
12-01-2004, 05:22 AM
It's a longshot, but have you tried seeing if there's new firmware for the drive?

In my entire history fixing computers I have ONCE needed to update drive firmware, and that was on some 15K RPM SCSI drives in a fairly high-end server. I seriously doubt it will help you here, but it's worth crossing off the list.

Otherwise I would be vigilant with my backups. The "clunk of death" as we fixit guys like to call it is never a good omen.

Dreamabyss
12-01-2004, 07:56 AM
Your problem sounds like the drive is dying. I had a similar situation a few months ago where my computer would boot fine but after running awhile it would spin down and make a click noise and my computer would freeze. When I restarted, it ran fine for awhile then do it all over again. There was no pattern, it would sometimes run for the whole day then suddenly stop working. I swapped the drive out for a new one and that ended the problem. Better to swap it out now while you can salvage the data. You might think about buying a new drive that will allow for a 30 day return to see if the problem still exists.

singularity2006
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
yah, i can't find any firmware updates with this drive...

but here's the weird thing. I bought a brand new drive and installed it and i still get the same problem. I just find it incredibly weird that even at that, i still get that clunk and spin down and spin up only on a cold boot. Afterwards, it works fine. I'm seriously considering the PSU, but it's an Antec Truepower 380, still pretty new. The MTBF on that is something like 5 years but the PSU is only 3 years old. I'm reluctant to buy a PSU so soon.... Trying to evaluate anything else that I can try. But yeah, the system as a whole still works like a charm after it boots.... but yeah... just that initial cold start.

TheNeverman
12-03-2004, 04:06 AM
I have a Antec 400watt powersupply...
I bought a brand new Western Digital 120gig this week, and twice now I've heard the 'clunk-of-death' shortly after a fresh win2k install!!!

n8

singularity2006
12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
oooh, that's interesting. How old is the PSU?

TheNeverman
12-04-2004, 06:26 PM
less than 2 years...

n8

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.