PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Remko Troost

OKMER
11-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Remko Troost has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=5146)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Goara Attack on village harbour
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1104414451_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1104414451_large.jpg)

Hi there again!!!Hey,I\\\'m back from a long and very busy december month!!!
Sorry it took so long but in the mean time my little girl \\\"LILOU\\\" is born!!!The 6th of december at 17h57!!!
Yessssssssss!!! She\\\'s marvelous,so beautiful and there are no words to describe how happy I am!!!
And tired also,ha,ha!!!

And so with all the work I had,the birth of my daughter and christmas at the same time,well it was impossible for me to get further on with the spaceopera contest.And believe me,even if ofcourse the last 3 weeks were proberly the most beautiful I passed in my life, well...I did miss you all,and I did miss participating on this contest :-).

So,anyway I\\\'m back and with all these happy evements eversince my inspiration and imagination are fully cahrged to the max!!!
So I got this image in my head totally clear now and I now I really know where I\\\'m heading and what Image I would like to do.

So here is the first rough layout..
This is the middle of a panaromic image I would like to do.
I still will play around a lot proberly with the size and the position of my canvas but this is where I\\\'m heading.

In the foreground we got this little harbour of a little village in the trees.
It is being attacked by a strange kind of creature.(a mixture of a Gorilla and a Boa Constructor).
There is panic in this little harbour.
I\\\'ll enlarge the picture to the left to introduce other towns far away on the background.And I\\\'ll enlarge the picture to right to have this monster attacking the harbour and some paniced people running around with an little boat approaching the monster.Inside the boat people shooting on the monster.

This is my first sketch,I hope you can already see a little bit what I mean...
Well like I\\\'ve been gone some while I had a lot to tell,sorry :-)
Later my friends and I wish you all A giant and great new years party and eve!!!

OKMER
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1099925856_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1099925856_large.jpg)

Hi there everybody!!!Nice to be there with all you great artists!!!Very inspiring.
Sorry for my english but I'll do my best to get understanded.
Well,here is my first concept.It's a world high up in the trees.Very,very high trees.And the humains came up there and constructed cities and all kind of stuff up there in the trees.
Since the humains started living there,there very few wars and they are kind of protected...
Until this monkeys came up,weird kind of species.Aggesive and wanting to get back their territory.And even if there is enough space for everyone,they do continue to attack the human cities in the trees.
No since several attack's ,the humains had the time to analyse the monkey attack's and so build a guardsystem that work's quit well.And even if it ask's a lot of people and work,ever since the new defendig system is there ,peace came back!

In this image I wanted to put something magical in it,and a lot of positive emotion.
These are 3 children happy to see their daddy coming home after a long time being away.
Their daddy works in this special defending-system low down in the trees.
And he works five days a week without coming home.The news today told that this week there were some attacks on the defense-system.But it wasn't really clear.So these children were quit worried about their dad.
And so now he's coming home they're really happy.They have been waiting all day long to see their daddy .So the weekend starts and they are waving to their daddy arriving in his new family-spacer!!!
"Daddy's coming home!!!"
Spaceopera in the trees.

Good luck to everybody!!!!!!!

NOOB!
11-08-2004, 02:28 PM
aaaaaww nice story man.i like allot ,can't wait for the rest.

oldhobo
11-08-2004, 09:58 PM
very nice - you'll get a special category, heart vote, from the poppas in the house

OKMER
11-09-2004, 02:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100014466_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100014466_large.jpg)

Still searching....
Speedpaint of a Mechanic babysitter,getting out with the kid and his Robo-dog.
I want to work out this MEcha-babysitter thing (mechaby-sitters, :-) ) a little bit more.
Walking the dog together with the child
somewhere in town in one of the last green parts in town.
Maybe even imagine a kind of special building containing a kindergarden and the last trees over on earth.
Did this on toshop.
Well later ;-)

malcolmvexxed
11-09-2004, 05:19 PM
love the purples you're using in your concepts

OKMER
11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100039933_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100039933_large.jpg)

Ello,well finaly I would like to get back to my first idea.
Giant jungle with a giant town in it.
This a concept I made for the TRIBO III
A Spaceship constructed specialy for flying through the jungle.
With windows below the pilot and giant blades(or knifes) just in front to fly through the leafes and little branches(boughs) if necesairy.
Not finished yet but I'm on my way(slowly)
Photoshop.

ebrowning
11-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Excellent idea- you could do so much with a concept like that, there have been treatments of tree dwellers before (Jedi, Planet of the Apes), but I don't believe I've seen a technologically advanced city in the trees- can't wait to see more!

AirbORn
11-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Very nice concepts! That vehical design is very nice... I like it's feeling and mood. It will be interesting to see where you go with these. Keep up the great work!

Virtuoso
11-10-2004, 07:34 AM
hey hey hey..........Remko,I am very happy to have found your thread,it simply impossible to get to them all,but I try........I must say this is one of my favorites up to now in the 2D section...................And that's saying alot because there is some killer work going on in here.......Belgium is being represented very well here.........:beer: ........Daddy's coming home........too cool,love the look,the feel,the mood,the style........

MEcha-babysitter ............Robo-dog.............the kid,and that Jungle ship/vessel are really nice.A very nice style and ambiant feel........Really appealing to me......I'll be following you,and asume you will get more followers here as well as soon as more people catch onto this thread..........All the best to you......My Mother and half my family are from beautiful Belgium,so it's always a nice thing to see more talent from there...............take care,and I wish you the best...................:arteest:

OKMER
11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100097017_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100097017_large.jpg)

Well,I'm still searching to get the right few and the right colorscheme.
Proberly I'm heading for a sunset with ray's of light coming in to this galactic jungle.
This is a really rough set up,and I will put a little making off(till there)after this one.
You can already see some tree-cities in the background.On the giant branches(boughs?)coming out of the clouds.
The big ball you see in the front close to you,will be a appartment with balconys,a garden on platform,bridges going to the other trees,etc,etc.
The little ball is "TRIBO III"(jungleSHIP) coming towards(or forwards?)to us, like the ship I detailes a little bit just before.
There are some guards over there,and i'll work those out later on with pencil on paper.
Well I gotta stop right now so this image is really a rough set up and i hope,you understand what i mean.
I put a little detail of the guard after,these guys will be quit classic but equiped with laser-arrows and some kind of boardguns on their balconys.
Maybe I'll work out these guys out tonight if I find the time :-/...
My girlfriend finds I gotta take a break :-),later,and may the forec be with you all!!!

OKMER
11-10-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100099722_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100099722_large.jpg)

Little detail,still very rough.
Try to mix up classic and functional with really modern high-tech stuff.
Oh yes, I saw I forgot to put the little ball(the one I talkes about just before))But you can see it in the little "making off"(till there)who's coming up right now.

OKMER
11-10-2004, 02:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100100614_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100100614_large.jpg)

This is a little bit the way I proceed.
(there is the little ball at last :-) )
I put up the first ideas very rough with a full opaque (100%) pencil in photoshop.
Later on,when i start to put some details in it,I reduce the opacity and the smoothness of my pencil to 50 and 25% +/-.I also play around a bit with the little natural media menu in photoshop.
Once I\\\'m a little bit happy with what i\\\'ve got I play around a lot with the diffents layers,their different modes and their position.Scaling,turning,etc,etc.
Later on I will go on in painter to give some more warm effects and some more dynamics to my lines and colors.
As you can see this was right before I decided to enlarge my scene and go to a landscape position.
I would like to put a few jungle-starships(Tribo III) in it flying in to us.
With shadows falling on them as they are entering the more concentrated part of the jungle.

I\\\'ll proberly mix up \\\"Art-nouveau\\\" with high tech for the architecture.
And put strange alienflowers on the branches and little creatures scared off by the ship\\\'s coming in.etc,etc....
And that\\\'s how my head is going on and on since I started the challenge :-)

Well thats it for the moment...later ;-)

SteveNewport
11-10-2004, 02:32 PM
I really do like this concept, it will be a joy to work on I'm sure!

It's good to develop the concepts as to why the humans are currently dwelling in the trees, like you are doing. Earth has been over-inhabitated, flooded with artificiality, and greenery is a rarity. They have now moved, quite ironically, to depend on the trees they once destroyed and returning to their primal roots as primates in nature, only to be threatened by other primates, rendering them equal. I like the story and the fact that you're developing it to create the final picture.

I would make sure you focus on making sure the greatness of the trees is visible in your sketches and final drawing. I like your color scheme, but make sure there is enough detail in the dark purples towards the bottome so we can tell that those trees go on and on, rooted somewhere hundreds of feet below... I might even use a 3-point perspective for the vanishing trees. You're last image is very dynamic, all the tangles of the trees and the city within work very well. I might see what you could do to show some tops of trees. Leaves are a very vital part of trees and I don't see much, if any, of them. Might be worth your while to see if you could somehow incorporate the tops of some trees, to develop maybe how the canopy of this enormous forest would look.

Also, maybe a few sketches for you to understand how or if life exists on the ground of this planet under the trees.

I look forward to your development of this concept and I wish you luck! take care

bolchover
11-10-2004, 03:05 PM
some great concepts! I particularly like the design and finish on the tribo jungleship...

OKMER
11-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Yep,thx for the comments!

And Stve your'e right.
Indeed I do need to submerge(or immerge,don't know?)myself totally in a world I'm creating.
I need to feel it,hear it,just be there!Thats the way for me to discover more and more of the world thats getting born in my head.(Yes,without mushroom's!)
I really like to do that a lot!Only problem ,Imsomnia,Trees growing in my livingroom,Strange creatures flying by while I'm talking to my friends.I'm quit haunted by this world ever since I started this challenge.:D
And I have to keep this secret,if not they will send my to the madhouse over here in BElgium:argh:
And the doctor won't believe me that it's CGtalk that drove me mad:sad: By the way I think my doctor over here in Belgium doesn't know CGtalk!
(he don't know what he is missing:D

Anyway,seriously now,This world of trees I was imagining is getting bigger and bigger each day(each hour,minute)
And how the hell am I'm going to put all this in one image?
Can we do a 30.000 x 15.000 pixel picture?

I already thought a little bit about this"what's happening on the ground" thing.
In fact,in 2987 a.jc the sea almost took over all land.Land is getting very rare.
Like the sea has overdwelmed most big cities in the first place humains created floating cities.
Some chemical factorys who came under water,libered(free) their chemical substances and so in some parts of the world this chemical products created a strange reaction on some of the waterplants.
They became bigger and bigger and started to rise high above the waterlevel.
Some of them even passed by the clouds.
And like water didn't stop rising people climbed into these trees,very high.Soon they adapted their architecture to these trees to build enormous cities high above in them.

These trees are huge and some of the humains don't even remember no more what the ground or the sea once was looking like.
But with all this it's almpost impossible to put all this in one and only picture.
I know nothing is impossible and I'm trying believe me.

But indeed I would like to show these people,their architecture from close and still have a landscape behind that expresses well the hugeness of these trees.
Their will be lots of strange creatures metamorphosed by the new climat.Bridges,spaceships especialy build to fly through the most concentrated parts of this galactic jungle.
And on and on and on.
Etc.etc.

Hy, cant we just write a story?:D
Ok,I stop there(got a starting headache there:bounce: :D )
Later everybody!!!
May the force be with you all!!!:beer:
Sorry for my english,it suc*s I know.

SteveNewport
11-10-2004, 06:19 PM
haha, I totally know what you mean! I've got like 6 seperate defined planets within my world and it would be much better off being an illustrated story! However, to go along with the challenge, I have to find the most fantastic, spectacular, inspiring image within this reality that will best express it's own existance and the dynamics and vitality there in. It's the challenge for all of us. No one can express an entire existance within a picture... especially one this small. It's just a matter of doing it as best you can and finding a way, within the world, to express it with all the fantastic foreign imagery as possible.
I'm totally being overwhelmed with images and stories within my world as well and it keeps evolving consistantly. I guess a few months of madness will be worth the final outcome of a piece we're proud of and can further develop more images of different aspects of the world on our own time. I believe this challenge is great for ourselves and the community. The final prize ends up being our own, and not a computer or piece of software

daadaa
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
hi,
love your idea :D, though, to my personal preference i think that there should be some random vines dangling down from the branches.

it will also be very swish if you can create buildings out of vines.... a pic that i thought looked rather interesting:
http://cosray.wustl.edu/~lscott/pictures/cairns/jungle_tour_wicked_vines_02.jpg

OKMER
11-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Yap,thx man DaaDaa!Indeed very inspiring:beer: !!!

dougbot
11-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Very cool work OKMER. Neat idea too! I always feel that cool art usually comes from a good story behind it. Not always i guess, but usually (maybe that's why I've always digged concept art). Great colors also. Keep it up.

Russel-Nash
11-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi OKMER,
wonderful concept you have here. I really like the peaceful approach. I definitely will follow your thread. :thumbsup:
I am just wondering how long it will take to upload your 30.000 x 15.000 pixel picture . :D

Russel

btw. I love your avatar ;),

Neozoom
11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
heya REMKO !!
Enfin te voila , merde cke chui content^^
bon jpasserai voir cke tu pond de temps a autre :p
coold e te voir parmis nous^^

Nice first skectches , ideas really original but keep in mind that you must do something Impressive and hudge... keep good original ideas and try improve them by adding more epic effects (lights , tall, complexity...)

;)
good luck

OKMER
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100191473_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100191473_large.jpg)

Ello!
Little speedpaint in painter with an acrylic bristle brush.
I'm quit new in painter and it's still quit a mystery to me this program.
Anyway I'm doing some little researches on the clothing of this people living up there in the trees.
These people are very close to the nature surrounding them.
And so even if they have a lot of high tech stuff,their costumes are decorated with all kind a stuff you can find in nature.A little bit similair to the indiens.

SideAche
11-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Good stuff going on here. I really like the shapes in your environments. Nice use of silhouette. :thumbsup:

OKMER
11-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Sjalom Neo,wep trop fort aussi de te voir la man!!!

Yes thx Neo,I'll keep that in mind:D You're right but for the moment i'm working out al those elements a want to put in my scene later.
Once I got a clearer vision of all whats in this world I'll try to start composing something huge and epic.

Neozoom
11-12-2004, 10:13 AM
ok ;)
let's see :D
good luck...

*oo my god , i haven't started yet... :p

OKMER
11-12-2004, 01:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100268268_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100268268_large.jpg)

Another speed on painter.
Doing some little studys on the clothing of this people.

NOOB!
11-12-2004, 01:17 PM
i like it all except the helmet,cos it kinda looks like he has a fish bowl on his head,i really dunno what to suggest,maybe experiment with different shapes.great work so far!

Fahrija
11-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi OKMER,

noobs right about the helmet. The scale and proportion do not fit perfectly to the body. But except of this the image is very well and gives a good impression.

Greetings
Fahrija

SteveNewport
11-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I like it, I'm just not sure how it all fits into the world and what each article of clothing's purpose is to the functionality of it all. Maybe just a little more explenation to it all as to what your thinking and such.

The helmut issue might be cleared up if it was maybe a little more conforming to the contours of the face. I like it, but again, I don't know it's purpose.

And where did the feathers come from? What kind of bird? Why that bird? And how were they captured? All things maybe to think about

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Very nice sketches.. i will follow this thread :) Good luck!

Jaba153
11-13-2004, 02:03 PM
very nice entry withsupacool sketches ..belgium rulez!!:thumbsup:

Gord-MacDonald
11-13-2004, 08:18 PM
its nice to see you opening up your working process. Your work has great mood, and at times a good sense of humour.

Virtuoso
11-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Costume update looking cool remko......I would think a rough and tough armor suit mixed with lots of cloth,with some tribal like artifacts would work very nice............In other words the look you have but with some more soft or organic like extras........

Either way...............As I mentioned before,your work has a beautiful appeal,and a pleasant mood,a far off look and is done wonderfully thus far...............Keep it up remko.....:arteest: :beer:

SteveNewport
11-13-2004, 09:45 PM
hey dude, one more thing. I would recommend placing in your signature a link to your GSO thread so any comments you post can be followed back to your thread and they can view your work and return the favor with some crits. It would really help your exposure to the rest of the group

SuperXCM
11-14-2004, 01:09 AM
WWaaaaawwwww, man, your sketch is simply amazing!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I very like all!!
And when i saw the Tribo JungleSHIP i think : " omg! what a good render.... render....OMG!!! Is not the render is 2D!! :bounce: "
And the research for the carachter is excellent... very nice style!! :thumbsup:

Very very good, waiting to update!!

Salute from belgium :beer:

Neozoom
11-14-2004, 01:13 PM
alors ca avance man?

:) Nice sketches :) the last guy is great ... but I think a little more technologic armor could be cool :p
nice , can't cait to see more and final concept view :)

***ooo putin jai tj rien foutu.... :/ c comme en cours c tj au derniere moment que jboost...
mais la jvais etre penalis :/

KangarooMan
11-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Excellent work, you have a really great style! Looking forward to see how it further develops.

OKMER
11-15-2004, 02:02 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100487731_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100487731_large.jpg)

A Speedpaint to get a first idea of the global scene I would like to make.
Did it in Painter and a little bit in Toshop.
By the way I'm all new in painter and I would like to know how to get rid of this white lines around my colors once I'm painting on a new layer,can somebody tell me please???
Anyway,Here I'm proberly heading to what the scene (still very,very rough there)might look like later on.
But uh,I'm hesitating between putting water in it or not.(see next post for the water version)

I prefer a little the one withour water because I find It gives a more mysterious feeling,Like we don't know what's happening above,neither below.

But still hesitating anyway...

What ya think???

OKMER
11-15-2004, 02:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100487942_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100487942_large.jpg)

Here's the one with water...
The reason why I'm hesitating is that on the water it could be cool to find out some kind of cyber-swamphoover thing....
Would like to have your opinion on which you think is more epic and opera??

authentic
11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
great atmosphere. Keep going !!

NinjaA55N
11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
I thing there is already too much elements on a too little pic. There is no feeling of grandness, coz there is no free space to let the pic breath. U should make ur canvas wider, which will also help to break the linear square format.

OKMER
11-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Yap,thx for the comments !!!

Ninja: Indeed You're right and i already was thinking about enlarging the space.
It's treu that now there is no breath.
Only I dont know if we can do a panaromic vew or simply I increase the size of the sky etc,etc.

I think I'll get on with the water,because I would like to work this Swamp-Hoovercraft-thing.
Proberly I'll try to do this kind of giant lake with all these giant branches with cities on it above the lake.
And this swampy feeling down below the water.
With Swamp-hoovers hunting some kind a strange creature.
Later...
I hope I can go on a litlle bit tonight

walrus
11-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Really nice work so far, Okmer! I love the huge planetoid in the background, it really adds a lot to your already moody piece. I think NinjaASSN has some good points with letting the piece breath a little more. Also, there's so far a great sense of place but not yet a sense of conflict and struggle. You could consider killing two birds with one stone: Opening up the piece more and using that space to show some ships (or something) in combat: Either in the sky, or as you suggested, opening up the water a bit more and having SwampHovers go at it. Either way, should be great... Good luck with it!

-mike

uwil
11-15-2004, 07:20 PM
very eerie... it's my taste :twisted: . good luck:thumbsup:

element5
11-16-2004, 01:37 AM
cool imagery and great atmosphere....no crits from me :applause:

Tommy Lee
11-16-2004, 10:07 AM
You should forget about the upshot. It's really missing the grand scale. I love your concept and I think the best solution would be a slight downshot on the trees. So you see alot of stuff(buildings etc.) but you cant see the ground or even a horizon. That is the easiest way to show how massive and huge these trees are.
Imagine you take a Photo from a higher branch aiming a little down at the center of interrest.

My two cents. Love your sketches so far and wait for more:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

SteveNewport
11-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I don't like the water one, I think it's much more effective with enormous trees jutting downwards towards the invisible basin. I think a key factor in your concept and what adds to the mystery and intrigue of the piece is the the viewer getting a sense that these trees are just enormous and you need to display this, illustrate how large these trees are and I believe I a good effect might be what Tommy suggested, although it would be very difficult. I do think you need to display the trees disappearing into the abyss below, definitely, and it might be worth some time and frusteration to work on a concept without a skyline. I can almost garuntee you that 99.999% of every piece in this challenge will be using a sky or you'll be able to see the vanishing points in the piece. You might achieve a very favorable uniquness if you try not having a horizon and maybe have the vanishing point below the trees. Work on showing how these trees are so big they can maintain a human race living ON them. It's a very important part of your concept I believe filled with potential.
You're new concepts look great, I just don't think it's the most conducive perspective for the challenge

OKMER
11-17-2004, 12:31 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100655099_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1100655099_large.jpg)

H THX a lot people for your comments,they are really constructive to me!!!
This challenge is great,stimulating,instructive and I really like to meet you all.
Shortly,I'm happy to be there with yall!!!

Steve/Tommy:
You're totally right about what you're saying.Originaly my first sketches and ideas went that way, you're right and proberly I'll return high up into the trees of my jungle there!:-) I'll take my pencils with me and will scratch on paper what I see from up there!!:-)

.I do have to say I still got this giant lake inside the jungle in the backside of my head.

I'm haunted by this image:(Boooooo!!!)
You are a tiny little fish,and when you get you're head out of the wwater to get some air,you see this giant lake with these giant branches hanging above it.Their lights reflects on the water and just in front of you,some Swamp-Hovers havin a battle with this giant (that's a lot of giant's,han?:-)
Lake-creature.
From behind the lights of other vehicules and ships coming up to help the firts ones.
High above all this cities on the trees,giant leafes forming like an temple above the lake and just some lightray's passing by them lighting up the battle scene.
Hope you understand my story there in broken english.

Anyway in the meanwhile i did a little concepting on these Swamp-Hovers.
Dropped it on paper with a fat-pencil,then scanned it and gave it some form with a hard-brush on 15>35% opacity in Toshop.
My sketch on one layer(mode-produit),don't know the english name for that mode :-/.
And then a layer just behind,where I set up the lightning with different grey-scales.

No I gotta return to my jungle and climb really high into those trees to have a few down from up there :-)

Later...:-)

giza-di
11-17-2004, 12:52 PM
the jungle city concept has the most 'space opera'/fantasy feel from all the rest, it's one of the most original landscape entries i've seen so far:)

project_god
11-17-2004, 06:47 PM
nice snail.....oops......nice hover i mean ^____~
it's a little organic design for "grand space opera", don't you think so?))))

LuisNCT
11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I think that is far better the last concept without water cause gives more the feel of a outerworld place...
Ah, I'm new in painter too, and I have the same problem with the white in the layers over the canvas, but that problem only happens with some brushes, not all of them.

OKMER
11-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Giza:Thx for the kind words and encouragements!!!Thats super-motivating!!

Project G: Thx!No I don't think so,I just would like to do something different.Somelike a challenge into a challenge for me.And i hope I'll arrive to put this epic and endless space feeling in my pic.
Working on it,When I have the time I'm studying this space-jungle with my pencil on all kind of papers I find all around me.
I'll show some of my studies later on.

LuisNCT: You're right and I'm looking for different angles and architecture for the moment.
And my pic will proberly be very high up in the trees indeed.
And don't you worry for your english,it's ok!!,And my english also su**s:D

Later :wip:

Virtuoso
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Nice story remko....................I like the swamp hover very much................Your work is very appealing to me.I think that a mixture of your ideas will go over perfectly.The feel and mood are wonderful,the style is unique with a nice touch of"Whimsical".......I think the swamps below the hanging jungles would be a very nice plan,with vessels crossing all over the areas,below and above........................Either way,I hope to see a solid piece form here with all your ideas.............Work hard,I think this can be special............:)

SteveNewport
11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
No remko, don't think of us as right, because there's no right way! I'd just suggest some more experimentation into it to see what comes out. these are just mere suggestions, not facts.

maybe think about this idea. I'm sure this world of trees isn't entirely land, i think it would be unrealistic to think it was completely dry. So somewhere on this planet lies either lakes or oceans. I just think you may need to find a different direction for it. I will try and explain exactly what I mean

You're sketches suggest that these enormous trees have been almost entirely consumed by an equally enormous flood. It's a decent concept, but I don't think it will demonstrate exactly what you're going for. The huge flood takes away from us realzing how large, and more importantly, how tall the trees are. We won't be able to see them going down and down til we can't see them anymore. For all we know they could just be regular size trees floating in the water or rooted 40 feet below. Plus, with the water consuming everything, the trees would die, be lifeless, and eventually rot, disroot, and be incapable of dwelling. I don't know if you want the trees to still be alive or not, with leaves or not, but I think it might be more fitting for shelter and bearing fruits and such for the race to consume.

What I would suggest, if you want to toy around with the water idea, is think what this vast enormous forest would look like at the edge of the coast line. The best example I can use to demonstrate this idea are images like these, of coastal cliffs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/2.jpg
Imagine these cliffs as trees and hundreds of feet higher.

And here are some various picture of canopies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/tikalcanopy1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/canopy.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/canopy-2.jpg
And here are some pictures of the Redwood forests in the west part of the US, extremely large trees (for our earth) some hundreds of feet high. You're trees, I would assume, would be even much larger than these.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/USA_6.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/Postcard76.jpg

You also need to think about you're tree species. Are they tropical, coniferous, completely alien? It might help to do some full profile sketches of your tree species and determine it's characteristics and find out what the humans take advantage of from it, how they grow from the bottom, leaves, branch shape, etc. That will help a lot I think. The redwood pics are a coniferous type, the canopies are mostly tropical. Also, figure out if there would be any types of plants growing on these trees, such as moss, vines, etc. Look up some information on spanish moss and it might give you some ideas

anyway, that's it for now, gotta go get some of my own work done now :p
take care man

Neozoom
11-19-2004, 09:08 PM
great last skecthes OKMER! :p
this swamp hover is cool but this look like a BIG scooter... the sit is very little comparing to the hoover... i think a littl bit less big hoover and smarter , speed one cool be cool :)

Tranchefeux
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi,
I like the idea to put trees in your project his exchange a
little, Good road

SteveNewport
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Hey dude, I'm just going around to all my subscribed threads and posting this link.

It's an article written by Greg Martin (quite an accomplished space artist) about, you guessed it, space. It tries to convey the passion he has for it, the beauty and mystery it contains and just a bunch of inspirational stuff that I believe is very fitting for this challenge and I think it will help all of us. It has a wealth of hubble space images and images from other great artists (and their websites) So anyone reading this, download it and read it all, I believe it will be of help

http://ch.artofgregmartin.com/

take care

flyingP
11-22-2004, 08:25 AM
trust me to get in here late, I really like the concept.
Enjoy being a Dad mate :thumbsup:

OKMER
11-23-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1101234285_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1101234285_large.jpg)

Hy!!!For the moment ain't got a lot of time.But in the meanwhile i sketch from time to time,and I'm getting closer and closer to what I really want to do finally.
Like I told before Im searching to mix up old and new,Art-nouveau and high-tech.
This design Im quit happy with and Proberly I'll go on with this line.
For the architecture I'm also trying to mix up wood and metal in a Art-deco style.

There will be giant harbour's(port's) in the trees.With Giant boats in the port and a lot of traffic.

This is a little 4/5 person's boat for private use.I mixed up wood and metal.Color sketch in Painter 8,camelhair.Actually I'm trying to learn Corel-Painter and so doing this was really amusing.
Later!!!:-)

W-I-L
11-23-2004, 06:35 PM
wow.

your stuff is really nice. I love your painting style... very soft but effective with it. And the idea is great, I am not sure about your character design so far though . . . expand on it. Looks to like a mixture of stormtroopers, knights and american indians thrown together . . . keep it coming . . . one of my favs so far.

Squibbit
11-23-2004, 06:44 PM
yep , colorful , varied and beautiful , these all are fun to view , wish you'd update

more often :)

Fahrija
11-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi Okmer,

I like the concept and also your sketching style. Looks like a promising teaser for whats coming next regarding your composition.

Just one thing. Maybe the profile of your ship is curved a bit to much. I would try to catch it at the backside.

Greetings
Fahrija

LuisNCT
11-23-2004, 09:50 PM
I like your last concept, it has that old-new blend like starwars' ships

Virtuoso
11-23-2004, 10:27 PM
daddy Okmer.........Congratulations........How nervous and proud you must be.............:beer: ...........................

Your latest update of the vessel is quite beautiful,I really love the design and style.....In a lot of ways it's right along my own tastes........I think you have a ambiant mood and feel here in all your work,a charm too......I will follow this to the end,I think you have a wonderful feel and touch/style.......Beautiful Remko,really nice! And Again congrats on your new addition.....:arteest: :beer:

OKMER
11-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey Virtuoso!!!,Thx you very much for this kind and encouraging words,and yes indeed I'm quit nervous and really proud:bounce: :D !!!:beer:

Flying P:Thx a lot man:beer:

(that's a lot of beer,I know but I like it:D )

Luis:Thx Dude!!!

Fahrija: Thx also man,and for the curving,I'll proberly keep it this way even if indeed Some curves might still change.I really would like to keep on playing with this smooth Art-deco curves.

Squibbit:Thx man!!yep,I would really like to update some more also.1st thing to do there is becoming daddy really soon:D I hope that after that and till the end of the contest I'll find some time to finish this,because it's really great around here!!

W!L: Thx,thx!!And you're right for the characters.Honestly this was one of my first contact's with Corel-Painter and so I think I was more playing around then really doing a serious concept.Indeed I want to totaly change these guys.Get to some more natural clothing..But Finaly I'll do that later on,Now I I'm focusing on my angel,the architecture.Actually I'm quit hesitating between the up-shot and the down-shot...

Lemog
11-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Wow... :drool: marvellous, spectacular, incredible, awesome, fantastic... there's a true real great peaces of art here... congratulations man... you're so talentuous and I'm very curious to see all the future way you'll take... It's very impressive OKMER... go go go :thumbsup: we want see more...

Tranchefeux
11-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi,
Ami belge (tu est d'o d'ailleurs) cool tone last
design tries to keep the forest side who are original, good road
for the continuation.

uwil
11-26-2004, 05:41 PM
remko, the swamp hover design is really cool and light as well as the agcathar. love to see them in your final image. good luck!:thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
That last concept of the boat is great! I see where r u pointed at and I think u r going in right direction... wood and metal is a good choise and try also use some paper material.. like old japanese houses. That would give an oriental feeling to pic and also a retro-style. Just a suggestion :)

adonihs
11-29-2004, 03:32 PM
awesome job! im totally digging thej ungle style to this =) reminds me of king kong, and i love that! great concepts too!!! awesome boat =D

Virtuoso
12-01-2004, 08:48 AM
remko.......................Just waiting for an update...............I hope all is well.I'll be here to see the next update,I think it's already looking great,and I can see even more potential,I'll be seeing you soon I hope........:) :)

OKMER
12-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey thx a lot guys for your comments,I Really appreciat that a lot!!!

Got a lot of jobs for the moment(don't know who was talking of a truck full of jobs that came by,but The same truck hitted me too.And I'm not complaining:D but
The thing is that it slow's me down for the contest and that's really bothering me because I really like it down here!!!
:D,the 2e thing is that from now on any moment I'm going to be dad!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ,maybe today,tonight or tommorow.YESSSSSSSSS!!!HA,HA,YEEEHAAA!!!

Anyway,in the meanwhile when i find some time and some paper I try to sketch some ideas(and I'm having a hard time mixing up wood,metal,future,nature,etc,etc, it isn't that easy as I thought to put an high-tech civilasation high up into the trees.But that's what's so pleasant at the end.
I'll add some of my rough's later on...

Later my friends!!!:thumbsup:
May the force be with you all!!!

adonihs
12-01-2004, 11:18 AM
What im loving, is the reference youre getting for this. Those photos you posted, if you put that type of your enviroment into your picture, then by all means bud, my vote is for you =D im OBSESSED with jungle enviroments, so I cant wait to see what crazy stuff you pull off here. I know youll make this baby look beautiful =)

cant wait!

OKMER
12-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Adonhis,Thx for your kind words!!!
I wasn't me that posted those photos but Steve,and indeed They are great and inspiring!!!I also do like a lot jungle and everything in between,and I'm having a great time trying to work out all these possibility's you got in a jungle.

Squibbit
12-01-2004, 12:37 PM
congratulations then , daddy! guess I'll have to be a bit more patient

with the updates then :)

bonestudio
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Oh yes jungle is a great idea, it can be so original, with spaceshift made with wood, or other natural elements !

You have already lots of sketches ! Can't wait to see your final composition

NinjaA55N
12-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Congrats to a new daddy... yet? :D And cant wait for ur next update...

uwil
12-15-2004, 02:06 AM
waiting for the update... jungle is a nice and refreshing idea... not to mention the ever industrial/space/planet scene. be back!

OKMER
12-30-2004, 12:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1104414451_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/5146/5146_1104414451_large.jpg)

Hi there again!!!Hey,I\\\'m back from a long and very busy december month!!!
Sorry it took so long but in the mean time my little girl \\\"LILOU\\\" is born!!!The 6th of december at 17h57!!!
Yessssssssss!!! She\\\'s marvelous,so beautiful and there are no words to describe how happy I am!!!
And tired also,ha,ha!!!

And so with all the work I had,the birth of my daughter and christmas at the same time,well it was impossible for me to get further on with the spaceopera contest.And believe me,even if ofcourse the last 3 weeks were proberly the most beautiful I passed in my life, well...I did miss you all,and I did miss participating on this contest :-).

So,anyway I\\\'m back and with all these happy evements eversince my inspiration and imagination are fully cahrged to the max!!!
So I got this image in my head totally clear now and I now I really know where I\\\'m heading and what Image I would like to do.

So here is the first rough layout..
This is the middle of a panaromic image I would like to do.
I still will play around a lot proberly with the size and the position of my canvas but this is where I\\\'m heading.

In the foreground we got this little harbour of a little village in the trees.
It is being attacked by a strange kind of creature.(a mixture of a Gorilla and a Boa Constructor).
There is panic in this little harbour.
I\\\'ll enlarge the picture to the left to introduce other towns far away on the background.And I\\\'ll enlarge the picture to right to have this monster attacking the harbour and some paniced people running around with an little boat approaching the monster.Inside the boat people shooting on the monster.

This is my first sketch,I hope you can already see a little bit what I mean...
Well like I\\\'ve been gone some while I had a lot to tell,sorry :-)
Later my friends and I wish you all A giant and great new years party and eve!!!

Fahrija
12-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi OKMER,

good to see you back!! And of course congratulations in case if I missed to say that. :)
Im looking forward to see further development. Do you intend to include your previous
shipdesign or did the scene change completly? Its a bit to rough at the moment to catch that.

Greetings
Fahrija

OKMER
12-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Yep,Thx Fahrija!!!
Yes I'm intentioned to keep the ship design.
This oval forme in the foreground is one of these boats,shipped in this floating port(harbour).
Those black lines in the foreground are the bridges where those ships park.
(hope I'm clear??Because there my english has broken again one more time :-) )

Falcorr
12-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Hello Okmer!
gongratulations for that little girl!

Think you can still create finished piece in time?

Anyway i liked your swamp machine thingy. Kinda scary to think of such huge propeller behind when driving such a monster.

OKMER
12-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Thx Falcor!!!

Yep,I really woulk like to finish it in time and i'll do the best I can.

Thx for da swamphover, but I will not use it finaly.
I'll go for the neverending deepness of these giant trees.

Virtuoso
12-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Congrats remko........what a wonderful month for you......:thumbsup:

It's also great to see you back in action....Now get as much done as you can,it will be well worth it.Make your baby daughter even more proud of you..........:arteest: :beer:

ace4016
12-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Nice drawings, I wish I was here from the beginning. I wish i could comment more on your work but im a bit inexperienced in the 2d field. And congrats with the baby girl.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.