PDA

View Full Version : Displacement Maps In Maya Software?

Dave3D
11-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi

I have had ZBrush for a while now I am getting quite good at the sculpting side of things in ZBrush, but generating the displacement maps and then exporting them to Maya and getting them to work is another problem.

I am currently working on an animation in Maya. In which I want one of the 2 out of 3 characters I want to have be "zbrushed", but i am having problems with the dispmaps. I have to use Maya software for rendering and it seems like all the documentation for ZBrush seems to want you to use mental ray?

I am using SubDs with the feature displacement off, but when rendering I keep getting a fast repeating message in the output window, "trianlge should be flipped" but there are no triangles in the model, and it seem to just repeat this message for a random amount of time.

Any help would be great

Thanks Dave

Karlfucious
11-08-2004, 05:00 PM
As far as the reason why they tell you to render in Mental ray. Ive found that rendering displacements in Mental Ray is acually a lot faster than in Maya software on my machine. Plus I get better results using the approximation editor. The only thing that you may need to make shure you do if you do use Mental Ray is since you are using sub-ds you need a really clean mesh meaning 100% quads or mental ray wont render it. That can be a bummer some times because i like to do almost everything poly to sub-d. As far as the error message it probably has something to do with how the maya renderer tessilates the geometry before it renders. before it renders it reads everything as tris. The error message probably has something to do with the displacement, don't ask me why though lol. I personally dont like even using maya's renderer at all when it comes to doing displacements because it always gives me problems and half of the time it crashes anyway. So I would say just use Mental Ray. Its more predictible and faster unless you are using any of its tricks like fg or gi but since you are using maya's renderer anyways you probably dont need them.

Good luck,
Karl

Ash-Man
11-14-2004, 08:39 PM
read my tutorial , i have an answer for you
www.Pixelcg.com/tutorials (http://www.Pixelcg.com/tutorials)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.