PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - character - Bill Davidson

bdavidson
02-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post to this forum so I'm hoping I get it right. (its taken me a couple days just to register!). Maybe not the most practical vehicle but I think as I work on it it'll make more sense.

http://www.eciad.bc.ca/~wdavidso/flyer.jpg

yon dabuda
02-06-2002, 09:50 PM
compliments on your idea and sketch. :)
*kinda had something similar in mind*

cheers.

rendermonkey23
02-06-2002, 10:24 PM
go go gadget copter... :)

Totitch
02-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Very very good idea!
a flying machine...maybe to fly over a danger...

Just one critic!
She seems more "large" in 3d than in the sketch
Just scale it a little.

good start!

bdavidson
02-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Good point Totitch.
I was thinking while I was modelling that she might need to have a bit more strength to support the "go go gadget copter" when she lands. Maybe I can find an in between and when I define the muscles a bit more it may look remotely possible for her to land that thing.

sono
02-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Cool concept. If you want to keep her small, could maybe add some kind of landing gear to the copter part so that she doesn't have to hold the entire thing up.

CerberusC
02-07-2002, 05:36 AM
good picture, i like the idea hehe

mediumRare
02-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Looks sweet, I really like the concept...any ideas on what her weapon is gonna be?

jrockstar
02-07-2002, 09:19 AM
I liiike it ... there are only few people who decided to model a lady :D

Cant wait to see her fly...

blc318
02-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Check your proportions on the thighs, they ate way too short. She is also a little thin , but I cant really tell from this angle. The concept is great and the proportions are good, but you need to take the same measurements in your model.

mediumRare
02-07-2002, 09:32 AM
I couldnt figure it out what was bothering me before but I came back and looked at it again....
there is a pretty big bulge in the groin area (im trying to remain serious) and its kinda throwing off the look (female that is) :)

just my 2 cents

bdavidson
02-07-2002, 09:44 AM
She's strapped on at the groin. It might not be clear enough in the drawinf but I'm going to cut some edges in there to make it a little clearer. Right now I'm busy thinging about the weapon question you posed.
Oh shoot.! ya shes got a bit of a buldge!
and thanks blt...whatever. you're right. I've always had problems drawing legs much less modelling them. At any rate I think the biggest problem is she has no real character to speak of. I'm going to work on that. Maybe an underbite and some chapped lips. Back soon.
Bill

bdavidson
02-18-2002, 08:52 PM
I found a bit of time this weekend to work on the vehicle. I took the landing gear advice. It still needs;
a seat, (I was thinking an old tractor seat- she is or WAS a farm girl).
some gas tanks,
some saddle bags,
some handles to stear with.

In terms of the character, still alot work to be done. I'm thinking of suiting her up with some dirtbike type pads.
http://www.eciad.bc.ca/~wdavidso/helio.jpg
http://www.eciad.bc.ca/~wdavidso/helio_flyer.jpg

Totitch
02-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Better and better!!!

What a wonderfull Flying machine!
Very funny and original!
it looks like an old "Jules-Vernes" machine...

I want the same!
cool to go to my Job! :D :D

pabbloz
02-22-2002, 01:01 AM
I love the vehicle!!

bdavidson
02-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey,
First of all ...thanks for the comments 'guys' (interesting that 98 % of the folks here are guys... but I'm not about to get into that). I think there is a mountain of great work in this forum.

I'm bothered by the ***star*** rating system, and the fact that if you respond to a critic, or critic someone elses work you're put on the 'top' of the list.

Once upon a time there was a thing called 'sessions' on spiraloid.

Note the term 'sessions' rather than 'challenge'.

Don't we put up with enough competative bullshit in this industry already?

I may be ranting a bit. I may be a little jealous for not getting a * (I never got one in ELEMENTARY school......so I'm not expecting one now) but..I would like to withdraw from this "challenge".

..end rant

All I can say is that its sad that the spiraloid sessions have died. ..and I think alot of it has had to do with the introduction of this.

Cheers,
and btw
I'm going to rebuild the girl and I'm going to finish the flying machine..*and I'm not going to post it here*. (I'm still thinking about this..I dont think it would make a difference anyway, there is great stuff here...but I was more interested in constuctive crits rather than fluffy ego blotting.)

I WILL come by and check out all the amazing work though.

love,
Bill

p.s. I realize this is all in good fun, but ... but I wanted to make a point.

psumo
02-22-2002, 01:40 PM
I think your model is awesome
you should totally deserve some "stars" on your model
maybe that they haven't seen your model yet
anyways I think it's great and very underatered

Wiro
02-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Heya Bill

I can totally understand your rant. Although I've seemed to come off quite well in the contests I do wish there would be more constructive criticizm to pieces that even look very good already. Nothing is perfect and a "Eeeehooo! that's just awesome dude!!!" doesn't really help much although it does polish ego :)
Although...hey, you've recieved quite some good crits in this thread.
Another small addition to your rant from me is...I though this was a modelling challenge? Suddenly fully textured, lit and even scened models pop up left, right and center. Not that I mind picking up the gauntlet but it does take away from what the challenge was about in the first place, not?
Damn, I'll have to make my own thread for that :)

I really like your idea and it will look even better when you finish refining it so please do continue to post here! To follow up on my own advice on critisizm: I find the vehicle very interesting and quite original. But you are right about the girl lacking a bit of character. You dont necessarily have to change her face (unless you'll be doing more closeups, it wont really have such a big impact). I'd rather try to make her clothes stand out more. Maybe give her some of those WW1 baggy pants...you know those that only stick out on the sides? I like her helmet though.
The boots need some work but I guess you've just started on those. Maybe it's just me bit I think the legs may be a bit too short. I DO like the way she's a bit bowlegged though...that's a nice character trait.
All in all in my opinion one of the most original models around here. I'm looking forward to an update...hope you'll still post here.

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.