PDA

View Full Version : how to make water puddles?

Silverdog
11-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi,
I was visiting the CGTalk award gallery and this image had reflecting water puddles on an
asphalt surface. Artist said it was done with Vray displacement. How would one do this in C4D 8.5 with core renderer? IMHO this is a killer effect.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178195&page=1&pp=20

MJV
11-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Uh, reflection channel? (It's in the material editor)

leigh
11-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Yeah just use reflectivity. And use a bump map if you want to make it look slightly raised (personally I'd say that displacement would be overkill since a puddle doesn't actually come that high off the surface).

I used plain old reflection mapping and bump mapping for this render and (well in my opinion) it looks pretty much like water:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/images/mark/m_workshop_02.jpg

Silverdog
11-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Leigh and MJV,

Thanks for the direction; I hadn't thought in that direction but will try some images using the maps. I was experimenting with two flat planes; one with an irregular surface(asphalt texture) and the second with a high reflective surface(water texture). By passing the the water plane up through the asphalt surface you create puddles. By pulling points on the asphalt surface you can vary puddle sizes and shapes. It does take some pretty subtle movements but I think some interesting effects may result. It appears that some displacement mapping may be necessary on asphalt texture may be necessary to produce the uneven realistic edges of the puddles.

Thanks again! Is 3d magic or what? :thumbsup:

Per-Anders
11-08-2004, 05:00 AM
i believe what he meant by displacement was that the tarmac was displaced, not the water. so two planes, one tarmac with a big noise displacement on it, nothing too deep, then another plane immediately under it that's your "water" layer. very simple, nothing complex, gets the job done.

Silverdog
11-08-2004, 05:36 AM
mdme_sadie,

You hit the nail on the head. Then with some careful manipulation of points on the
tarmac plane, you can 'sink' puddles and shape/move them to your liking. Am now trying to get a good balance with the 'water' texture to produce realistic transparency and reflection. Live
and learn. :D

Silverdog
11-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Just thought I would show what I have come up with regarding 'puddles'. Please ignore the car, it is my 'mule' that I try new things on.

stajpi
11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
HI,

can someone maybe write a short tutor max/vray for making the ground like upstairs.
I tried everything, but i have big problems.

Thanks a lot.
Sorry for my bad english

stajpi

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.