PDA

View Full Version : modeling a chainsaw

suttercane
08-23-2002, 04:53 AM
Hey everyone,

I am modeling a chainsaw from the Tod Mcfarlane toy of Leatherface. I am having trouble getting the back end covers of the chainsaw modeled. I am trying to use subdivision poly modeling, but I can't seem to get it to look right. Either it is really blocky and fake looking or I mesh smooth it and it is too round or jaggy looking in parts. Does anyone have a clue of a way I can model smooth looking curves but retain the shape I am looking for?

here is kind of bad pic of what it looks like

io,
08-23-2002, 07:24 AM
hi.

for that sharp shape that u look for, u can ad some more edges on poligonal mesh and bring them very near. with 3 points in the same place, u have a sharp angle.

Marcel
08-23-2002, 09:09 AM
The basics of mechanical subdivision modelling (very basic :), but enough to get you started)

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=413

suttercane
08-23-2002, 04:24 PM
hellrender- haha.... this is actually the toy that i am modeling from. I just scanned it in. But thanks for the comments.

Io- cool thanks, that is what I think I am missing.

Marcel- Thanks man, that tutorial helped out a lot.

I think my biggest problem is that when I model I force objects to look like I want them to, instead of building them like I am supposed to. thanks for the comments everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.