PDA

View Full Version : How to render with a transparent background?

[msf]
02-06-2002, 08:34 PM
How do I render a image so that all I have is my rendered model with no background at all? Like a transparent background, so I can add it into a image in like photoshop or something?

Thanks. I am using 6.5

arai
02-06-2002, 09:19 PM
If you render an object out as a .tga it will contain an alpha channel that you can use to isolate the object in photoshop. As long as you dont have a background in lw that is.

log
02-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Save an alpha image of the object when you render. Then you open both the RGB image and the alpha image i Photoshop. Copy the alpha image to a channel in the RGB image, then load the selection and invert it. Delete the background!

Cheers!

Irate The Mad
02-06-2002, 11:03 PM
Just save your image as a .png file once you bring it into photoshop the background will be gone. :D

studiomiguel
02-07-2002, 02:15 AM
I don't mean to sound to obvious... but make certain you don't have any objects in the background....i.e. a ground plane or GI sphere...... then rendering out with a 32 bit mode will give you a transparency channel.

[msf]
02-08-2002, 09:21 AM
I ussually render it in 32 photoshop format but all I get is a flattened image that I cant isolate my model from. I will try the .tga and .png formats and see what happens. The only background I have is the colored background specified in scene settings.

Wbotero
02-16-2002, 05:08 AM
No matter what format ,tga .png .psd you use its always going to have a background in photoshop. What you need to do is save out you colored image (render) and the on the upper right hand side of the render in lightwave you can switch to Alpha then save out your alpha image as well. Take both of those images into photoshop and youse the alpha to get rid of the background.

ApocX
02-16-2002, 09:23 AM
Or better yet, just save as a 32bit tga. Then go into Photoshop and under "Select" choose "Load Selection" and choose "Alpha1" from the drop down.

No need to save two seperate images.

[msf]
02-19-2002, 11:27 AM
thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.