PDA

View Full Version : keyboard mapping in lightwave style s/cuts?

cresshead
11-06-2004, 08:22 PM
has any lightwavers made a keyboard mapping setup in lightwave style keyboard shortcuts
so we have t for move, y for rotate 0 for min max view etc???

would really help me get into XSI 3d program a lot quicker if i didn't have to learn a whole bunch of new keyboard shortcuts for things in general that i already use day to day in lightwave right now....

so anyone have a xsi 4.0 keyboard mapping file that emulates lightwaves shortcut keys?

i'll wait n see...if no reponse surpose i can spand a while making one for myself!

cheers!

steve g

lightwave
xsi
3dsmax
silo1.3
combustion

Ablefish
11-06-2004, 10:24 PM
In my opinion, if you're going to be spending any amount of time in XSI, I'd hold off on too many wholesale changes. Most of the keyboard is already mapped in XSI, so every key you change means displacing another one. This also might make following the learning material a little tougher if they refer to keys rather than commands.

And in my opinion, you'll probably pick up the software faster if you can set aside your lightwave workflows...even key mappings at first.

My 2 cents.

3dtutorial
11-06-2004, 10:28 PM
I fully agree.

It's best to forget your old LW habits and adopt new XSI ones.

The pain is temporary and in the end you will be glad you did.

Major keyboard re-mapping is not a good idea -- trust me ;)

Cheers,

Joe

RuiFeliciano
11-07-2004, 10:49 AM
As someone who already made the transition from LW I can fully agree with the suggestions which have been posted above.
Trust me, the "inconvenience" of learning a new keyboard layout will be very short term and it will become second nature as soon as you start using XSI to do your own projects.

Obizzz
11-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I agree with the rest of the guys in this thread. When I first came over from LW it was a real pain to get used to rotating with S moving with V etc but now it's just natural, the sticky key function where you can work with 2 tools at once is really nice!

CoolDuck
11-07-2004, 01:50 PM
I think that changing keyboard mappings to the way you knew it in other programs can be very helpful. I do that too myself, being a Maya user, I have changed my most used shortcuts in every program I'm gonna use. Not all of it, but the basic ones like move, rotate, scale, and most poly modeling tools I need.

IMO it doesn't really matter if you setup a particular tool to X or Y as long as you feel comfortable with it, as most good training material will always mention the name of the tool, in which menu you can find it and what key that is. I agree that changing the defaults ways can be confusing sometimes if some training material refer to it.

What happens when you need to work with 3 programs on the same project? Having the same (for the most used tools) keyboard mappings for those 3 programs can speed up workflow, you don't have to memorize 3 mappings.
But you guys have a point, learning new keyboard layouts maybe isn't that bad after all.

the_zed_axis
11-08-2004, 12:02 AM
i tried mapping the navigation key from 's' to 'alt' ala maya/max but no go :)

xsi has other cool features and hot keys that u soon forget the old ways lol

Rabid pitbull
11-08-2004, 03:37 AM
I wish it was possible to see the shortcuts all in one frame like in LW, very easy to map over something in xsi. Is there a way to get a log of all the shortcuts in use??

Doublecrash
11-08-2004, 11:13 AM
i tried mapping the navigation key from 's' to 'alt' ala maya/max but no go :)

xsi has other cool features and hot keys that u soon forget the old ways lol
I used the "alternate mouse mapping" function to have the "s" key working like maya, with LMB for orbit etc.

Zendorf
11-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Nice one Doublecrash, that really helps out if you are used to Maya-style navigation!

It is found under preferences>tools>camera. I don't mind the "s" key being a replacement for alt for navigation but the switched around mouse buttons was a problem for me, so this really helps me out. Cheers :thumbsup:

Ablefish
11-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Pitbull: If you open up the keymapping window, there is a button along the top called "View in Browser". That will let you view the mapping as an html document.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.