PDA

View Full Version : XSI "forgetting" one CPU?!?

Paul L. Ming
08-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Hiya.

Ok, I've recently had to reinstall (Windows 2000 Pro).

I swear I've seen somone else ask about this, as they had the same problem. When I start XSI 1 or 1.5 it says that it is only "using 1 locked render license(s)". Is there some setting or something I have to switch on/off to get back my other CPU for XSI?

Before anyone suggests going to Softimage Support...I don't have 2.0+, and I havn't paid the "protection/extortion" money for the upgrade to 2+. I only own 1 and 1.5, ergo I have no "maintenance contract".

Thanks for any help.

Paul L. Ming
08-23-2002, 06:43 AM
:blush:

A case of RTFMMC (Read The Fricken Manual More Closely!) I belive.

After searching and searching...it's as simple as: File -->User Preferences -->Rendering... It's all there in black and grey. ;)

:blush:

Steve3d
08-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Seems there is no setting about the dual CPU's rendering??
:surprised

vmpre
08-24-2002, 07:12 PM
There are two issues here...

1) XSI 1.0 and 1.5 have a user preference for how many rendering threads (CPUs) to use.

However XSI 1.0 and 1.5 will use a second XSI render license for that second CPU. So if you bought XSI Essentials, you only get ONE license. So even if you set you rendering threads to 2...without that an additional license you will not get that second CPU to render.

In order to get both CPUs rendering you will have to either purchase an additional MR rendering license or upgrade to XSI Advanced which will give you a second MR rendering license.

Also, XSI 1.5 and lower will require multiple licenses in order to run more then one copy of XSI and a time on a single workstation. So every time you launch an additional session of XSI it will suck one more license.

2) As of XSI v2.0, both XSI Essentials and XSI Advanced will use both CPUs at render time. They even took out the user preference to set the number of rendering threads to use.

And XSI v2.0 does not take additional licenses when launching additional session on the same box.

While I agree that the maintainence can be expensive, getting unlimited tech support and free upgrades (which they are averaging almost 2 a year at this rate) is very worth while to have. Nothing beats calling up Soft with an issue and having their tech guys give you the solutions you need when ever you want. Try getting that level of support without paying for it, just not possible...you always get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

GL
Vmpre

Paul L. Ming
08-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Hiya.

Thanks for the extra info. :) I have XSI Advanced (v1.0 and 1.5 upgraded), so I get to use both CPU's. :)

I'd love to be able to maintain XSI, but it just isn't feasable for me right now. I'm still trying to get the "feel" of XSI anyway. Maybe if/when I become really proficient with it I'll try and spring for an upgrade to 3.0 or whatever it's at.

ThirdEye
08-25-2002, 11:31 AM
do u have to turn 2nd cpu on manually or it's simply automatic? :shrug:

EdHarriss
08-25-2002, 03:14 PM
In V2 and above it's automatic. Anything lower and it's manual.

Paul L. Ming
08-25-2002, 07:52 PM
What Ed said. ;)

You have to go to...

File-->User Preferences...-->Rendering-->Number of Rendering Threads. That's where you change the default "1" to "2". Simple. Of course, it took me a whole day to figure that out! :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.