PDA

View Full Version : Softimage XSI student promo

AB09
08-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Softimage rules the school (http://www.softimage.com/Products/XSI/v2/promo/Rule_the_School/)

Softimage has created a new educational version with a permanent license for non-commercial use.

Students purchasing SOFTIMAGE|XSI between now and October 31, 2002, will get SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced v.2.0 for the price of XSI Essentials, and you’ll get the upgrade to version 3.0 when it releases, at no additional charge (via web download) for only $495.

The previous version was only a one year license.

acidboy
08-23-2002, 04:31 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Excuse me while I just run to my lecturers (who were waiting for version 3) to scream at them to 'BUT IT NOW" :applause:

dmonk
08-23-2002, 02:07 PM
no fair I just took my last class ever.:thumbsdow

Chuck Baker
08-23-2002, 04:24 PM
LightWave 3D has always offered a permanent license with our educational version, currently priced at $395, and that version is not limited in any way nor watermarked. It is the full commercial version in every way except the included piece of paper that describes the educational non-commercial use license terms. Always has been. We also offer what was for many years the only educational version that allowed a student to upgrade to a commercial license without having to just outright buy the commercial product at full price, and no doubt still have the least expensive terms for conversion - just buy an upgrade at commercial upgrade price when an upgrade comes around.

Sure took them quite a few years to follow us on that permanent license thing. :)

And you know, I'm not aware that anyone's educational version that you would actually have to purchase is watermarked or otherwise feature limited (other than SI and most others timed out after one year), so they seem to be wanting folks to think the comparison to consider is between the $495 or $795 SI ed purchase and other folk's free demo editions. Now there's a concept! ;)

Larry_g1s
08-23-2002, 06:03 PM
That's my plan Chuck. I currently purchased LW 7.5 student for $395, and later going to buy the next up grade (when I'm ready) for a commercial lic. for the difference in from the student . :thumbsup:

Vic3k
08-25-2002, 08:38 AM
hey not, son't start mistakening the student XSI and experience XSI. if you get student licence for xsi it is a copy of commercial one and experience xsi got limitations for apparent reason of being free.

santiago
08-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I think Chuck made a mistake there. The XSI experience CD is simply a demo version, with almost full functionality. While the Student version of XSI offers everything the commercial version does, for under $500, you just are restricted from making money out of it, otherwise it's the same as the commercial version.

Does Newtek offer a free version of their software?
I think Discreet doesn't, it wouldn't surprise me that most of the other major 3D apps don't have free demo versions out there.
Let alone be downloadable.
A demo version of Maya is downloadable, but I read that its watermarks are a tad rediculous, even on the viewports, it gets very annoying working with those logos on top of your scenes.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Both Softimage XSI Experience and Maya Personal Learning Edition have watermarks in the viewports and renderer. XSI's is more subtle and less obnoxious, yes.

A few months ago Lightwave announed a free "discovery edition." But as far as I know a download link never appeared. You can still download their old demo from their ftp site which doesn't allow saving.

discreet of course started this whole mess of releasing downloadable "useable" (lets you save your work) versions of 3d software with gmax. I'm not a max fan, but I have to give discreet credit for targeting gmax for game mod development. All the hobbyists who want to make mods for the latest PC games are gonna download gmax, and when they're good enough to get a job they're gonna want to use 3ds max. Whereas with all these new demos are probably going to be used in much the way the old ones were, product evaluation. They're useless to a student like me, who wants to take school projects and work on them at home. Oh well.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Oh, and now I think Maya is the only software that has a 1 year license for their student software. C'mon A|W!

Grey
08-25-2002, 08:40 PM
I wonder what Maxon's gonna do...

The base price for Cinema4DR8 is $595 (on par with most "learning editions") and extremely capable software. (and it never crashes :D)

UnrealSnowman
08-25-2002, 08:44 PM
Hehe... going a /bit/ offtopic here, but here is the link for the Lightwave Discover Edition:
http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html

acidboy
08-26-2002, 02:49 AM
HEHE it's kinda funny that soon as we cheer about the new XSI student pricing, people start shouting that their Fav software's student pricing is just as good or better :rolleyes:
*cough* Damn Lightwavers again *cough* *cough* :)

"Wigaru Wiyamoto: Oh, and now I think Maya is the only software that has a 1 year license for their student software. C'mon A|W!"

Are sure that's true man?
Cause the uni I go to recently got like close to 20 copies of maya unlimited for about $7000 AUS. Don't think they are one year licenses either, but I'll have ta check.
If so, they are damn FOOLS ;)

ambient-whisper
08-26-2002, 03:15 AM
i remember when i demoed mirai. it was the full thing. literally. every single thing that came on the ful version is on the demo cd. except the license ran only for 30 days. i could save...export..import the whole deal. very good stuff. ( this was over 2 years ago ) then when i bought mirai for 780 ( student/1 year/renewable for free for 4 years ) i was told i could upgrade any time i graduated for 780 for a full commercial copy. ( tho i got a nice gift from them 3 months later :D ) but we all know how that turned out >_<!!!!grrr

Grey
08-26-2002, 03:18 AM
AW, they should just make us a good plugin modeller for every platform.

I would BUY that in a heartbeat!

ambient-whisper
08-26-2002, 03:22 AM
? why just the modeler?
you should see their skele/ animation tools :)
but even then. that would be raping a perfectly good software. ( youd know what i meant if you used it :)

Grey
08-26-2002, 03:29 AM
I'm sure you're right, but the modeller is what's legendary :D

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-26-2002, 04:02 AM
Found this on Journy Ed's Maya description:

This product is part of the Student Access Program. Please call us at 1-800-874-9001 for full details on this program.
The Student Access Program gives you encryptions for 1 year from the date of your agreement or 3 months past your graduation date, whichever is earlier. Also includes upgrades for length of encryptions.

dantea
08-26-2002, 09:46 AM
The Education program for Houdini is $500 USD for SIX (6) licenses to be used in a classroom setting. So for $3500 USD (which is around $6400 AUD), you can have 30 licenses for one year. On top of that, every student gets their own license to use at home. (although not sure how long this lasts, their webpage is a bit ambiguous on this).

Check out http://www.sidefx.com/education/program/index.html

Chuck Baker
08-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by santiago
Yeah, I think Chuck made a mistake there. The XSI experience CD is simply a demo version, with almost full functionality. While the Student version of XSI offers everything the commercial version does, for under $500, you just are restricted from making money out of it, otherwise it's the same as the commercial version.

It is not the case that I mistook the XSI education version for the XSI demo version. What is the case is that I read the marketing information for the XSI education version, and that text cites that the XSI education version is not watermarked or limited, while other 3D education versions are watermarked or limited. Here's the quote, from the second paragraph under the "Order Now" subhead:

Unlike other products, this software does not have any watermarks or limitations.

What they have to mean is the Maya "Personal Education" version, which is actually a free demo version, not a paid licensed educational version. Since they don't specifically say that, however, they leave the reader with the impression that perhaps all other paid licensed education versions of 3D software are limited in such a fashion, and only with XSI do you get the full product. That's not true, of course. None of the real education versions are watermarked or limited. Making the comparison is therefore misleading.

Grey
08-26-2002, 04:36 PM
Chuck makes a good point, the add is misleading in that statement.

Let me rephrase that: it's an out and out lie.

Most Paid Educational versions are full versions with a different liscense agreement.

santiago
08-26-2002, 09:33 PM
True, I agree with you Chuck, damn marketing schemes :shame:

acidboy
08-27-2002, 01:58 AM
Ahhh well, it's all good :)

Unlike Freakin 2d animation apps, ToonBoom's US Animation educational version is pretty damn pricey and it got one hell of an annoying watermark :thumbsdow
Really sucks when uni students have a portfolio of animations with big stinking watermarks plastered all over em.

Needs to be more competition in the area of highend 2D animation packages...me thinks :hmm:

Ahh well...I'm glad 3D is more my thing, as feeding drawings into a scanner all day isn't my idea of fun ;)

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-27-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by acidboy
Ahhh well, it's all good :)

Unlike Freakin 2d animation apps, ToonBoom's US Animation educational version is pretty damn pricey and it got one hell of an annoying watermark :thumbsdow
Really sucks when uni students have a portfolio of animations with big stinking watermarks plastered all over em.

What?! There's a watermark for a PAID educational version? That's ****ing outrageous.

acidboy
08-27-2002, 05:12 AM
YEP!

Dunno exactly how much the Educational version is of US Animation, but it's atleast a few hundred bucks more then any 3d software Ed. version.

That was bought it bulk too, so it would probably be more then that if ya bought a single copy :surprised

US Animation and Toonz are the only real 'big boys' of 2d animation packages. Though US Animation is a lot more advanced then Toonz, it vectorizes ya drawings so u have basically no pixelization :)
Plus ya can work in 3d space, making camera work etc, way easier.

There needs to be more competition in the area of 2d animation software I think, to lower prices and increase the rate of advancements.

icedeyes
08-27-2002, 06:14 AM
Say i got the student edition of xsi.... Can I upgrade ir later to a full commercial one??? I really wanna know guys....

Goon
08-31-2002, 07:51 PM
What is Softimage Essentials?

ggg
08-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by icedeyes
Say i got the student edition of xsi.... Can I upgrade ir later to a full commercial one??? I really wanna know guys....
yes, unless things have changed recently

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.