PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ROPE texture

yk3d
08-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Hello, I'm looking for an image that I can use to bump map a rope, I'm making a model of a miniature wooden ship so I'll only be using splines with some thickness to simulate ropes so I need an image that could work as bump map. I'm no able to paint it myself due to lack of painting skills :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Tumerboy
08-22-2002, 05:59 PM
You don't need painting skills, you need gradient skills.

Make a long thin image, then make a gradient going from black to white to black horizontally accross the short length of the image, add some noise, motion blur it along the long axis.
Then turn that into a pattern (I think it's image > define pattern)

Now make a bigger image, and fill it with that pattern.

Now rotate that pattern 45 to 60 degrees or however tight you want your rope

then copy the layer and move it up or down or whatever to where it'll line up with itself on the other side. Do this to both axises . . . or is it axi. . .

Now crop it to that, and you have a bump map that you can tile as much as you want . . . just cyl map it on your spline. . . if that works. . .

yk3d
08-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks Tumerboy......
now, how could I ask that..... :hmm: would it be possible for you to actually make one for me? :rolleyes: would be great
If you have time of course.

Tumerboy
08-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Alright, I don't care if you aren't good at photoshop, if you want to get better you've got to do some stuff for yourself.

Having said that, here it is., now if you took more than the 2.5 minutes I took, you could do a better job, but that should tile and you should be able to use it for rope. . . dunno haven't tested it. . .

yk3d
08-22-2002, 07:43 PM
thanks very much, it tiles perfectly well!
Have to test how bumpy it is still.
I'll post the final images here for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.