PDA

View Full Version : First Z-Brush Sculpt.. a sculptor's perspective

Bil
11-03-2004, 08:57 PM
I have had Z-Brush for a few months but only recently have I had a chance to sit down with it. This is the first sculpt in the program for me. I did it in about 3 hours time, and was amazed at how quickly the whole thing came together. I wanted to see how sculptural a piece I could do quickly.. more of a 3D sketch really.

Bil

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Head01opt.jpg

Lotus7
11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
hey bil. great work there! :thumbsup:

meats
11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes, it looks really nice, especially for a first sculpt.
Could you post some of your traditional work (just curious)?

I'm interested in your thoughts on digital scultping within Zbrush compared to working traditionaly..

Bil
11-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Meats, I will try to take a photo or two of a few of my traditional pieces in the next day or two.

As for a comparison... I find it pretty similar actually... although I am still learning the tools and interface I got comfortable fairly quickly. Something I would like to do in Z-Brush is sculpt with a rake or a textured tool, so I can leave simulated tool marks as I work. I tried this by using different alphas, but perhaps I have the wrong brush or something. I do like that I can apply some volume, or cut away from the piece, and then smooth it to the shape I want using various amounts of pressure. Much like smoothing clay with a finger.

Another thing about Z-Brush that I really like is that I can work up the volume very fast, faster than I can traditionally actually as I don't have to construct an armature, after that applying the details also goes very fast. I haven't tried using Projection Master yet, but am looking forward to that. Perhaps that is my answer to the tool mark texture I am interested in, but I would rather do that as I sculpt rather than as an afterthought.

Thanks for the comments, although I am a bit underwhelmed by this piece personally, still it was just an exercise and I thought it might be interesting to compare them as I progress with the software.

Bil

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.