PDA

View Full Version : Mayas SubD and ZB Divide.

grrinc
11-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Can you helpful bunch assist in a small query??

Does Maya's 'Convert>Poly to SubD' and ZBrushes 'Divide' achieve the same result??

I have the poly hull of a SubD model and am curious if the hull can be taken into Zbrush and subdivided so as to acheive to same proportions as Maya's Convert Poly To SubD. As you can imagine, I am looking to create a normal map for an existing SubD model not created in ZBrush.

And just out of curiousity, does Maya's Smooth Polys achieve the same proportions?

Many thanks friends!!

antweiler
11-04-2004, 02:15 PM
yes, mayas smooth Polys and subd create the same proportions. I *think* ZBrushs divide is the same as Smooth poly, but more powerful and way faster. I think a tesselated subd into ZBrush is the way to go (if its important for you to have matching UVs)

grrinc
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Thank you Ant. And yes I do need to keep the uv's so thats quite re-assuring.

grrinc
11-06-2004, 07:35 PM
May I bother you once more??

I am having problems rendering a bumpmap for the model in maya. It would appear that after Zbrush, the uv's go awol. What do you think is going wrong here then...

Maya...
Generate auto uv map for base model. (which was created in Maya)
PolySmooth model twice to get the required shape.
Export Obj ready for ZBrush

ZBrush...
Import model from Maya and divide a further 3 times.
Create minor skin details using projection master.
Reload model from Maya into sdiv level one.
Create Displacement Map (of which loads into the Alpha Pallette)
Export Displacement to a BMP file.

Maya...
Load Displacement into Bump channel of the Lambert Texture.
Render and discover that the bump details are scattered around the model.

I imagine that somewhere along the line, ZB or Maya has got hold of another set of UV's.
Also, I am intentionally creating Bump maps and not displacements.

Any clues friends???

Many thanks

meats
11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Two things:

Why subdivide so much before Zbrush. Having a really low subdivision level in Zbrush allows you to make overall shape changes really easily.

Make sure that you convert your displacement map from a grayscale image to RGB. Maya doesn't read grayscale. <edit> Just noticed that you are creating a bump map only. Perhaps this isn't an issue.

Sounds like you need to flip your map on the Y axis. It's upside down.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.