PDA

View Full Version : Pixar officially anounces Exluna settlement.

Array
08-22-2002, 04:40 PM
http://corporate.pixar.com/news/20020722-85830.cfm

Grey
08-23-2002, 04:03 AM
hmmm... it says 100% of nothing except the obvious... that htey settled...

What it should have read:

"We at pixar excersized our unlimited resources to pounce on startu Exluna and put it out of business for the greater glory of Steve Jobs... who you owe royalties to if you render a 3D image in anything other than chickenwire wrapped in toilet paper..."

The Magic Pen
08-23-2002, 05:06 AM
LOL@GREY !!!! :applause: :beer:

playmesumch00ns
08-23-2002, 09:12 AM
It may be because the next version PRman will include a lot of the features that Entropy had. It's quite funny tho how they make a standard and expect people not to produce commercial programs around it.

beaker
08-25-2002, 12:55 AM
>>We at pixar excersized our unlimited resources to pounce on startu Exluna and put it out of business for the greater glory of Steve Jobs

You do have to remembery that the founders of Exluna were all ex-pixar guys that were the head of the Prman team at pixar before they left. Craig Kolb was project leader of the entire prman team at Pixar before he left. Every time someone big leaves a company and goes out and makes a product that competes directly, they always get sued. This happends everywhere in every industry.

>>It may be because the next version PRman will include a lot of the features that Entropy had.

PRman 11 has been in the making long before Larry Gritz and friends even left Pixar to form Exluna. You have to remember that Exluna is only a 1.5 year old company. Pixar can't just pull something like Prman 11 out of their asses. Something like that is atleast 3-5 years in the making.

>>It's quite funny tho how they make a standard and expect people not to produce commercial programs around it.

There are plenty of other commercial Renderman renderers that have been around for a while and are still around to this day. Render Dot C, Air, and Renderdrive.

Grey
08-25-2002, 01:00 AM
BMRT, however, was around long before Larry Gitz ever got hired by Pixar :D

beaker
08-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Yea, that does suck that BMRT had to dissapear in the process. I would have thought that Nvidia would have been able to protect them better since they have as much money behind them as pixar does. Expecially since Nvidia actually aquired them back in dec/january, they just waited till a month ago to announce it. I believe that secretly Nvidia wanted Exluna's software rendering products to dissapear. Since they are all gunho about replacing everyones software renderers with one of their video cards. Exluna gives them some validity to it since they are all top engineers in their field from Pixar, to PDI, Disney and a few others.

Grey
08-25-2002, 01:12 AM
rumour has it that Pixar wanted to be rid of BMRT for a long long time. It may even have been the reason behind the hiring of Larry Gritz.

This is a RUMOUR btw... the only reason I'm repeating it is because it sounds possible, and even probable...

The hardware render thing is a long time coming... I'm wondering if nVidia wanted to appease Pixar in some fashion in exchange for support of the hardware...

beaker
08-25-2002, 01:23 AM
>>rumour has it that Pixar wanted to be rid of BMRT for a long long time. It may even have been the reason behind the hiring of Larry Gritz.

Donno about this. Especially since BMRT was used with the frankenrender setup in a few scenes in Pixar's movies. Then they went on to make the rayserver public so you could have BMRT raytrace things for Prman. BMRT was always dirt slow too. Anyways, Render Dot C has been around as long as BMRT and it is a competing product too.

>>I'm wondering if nVidia wanted to appease Pixar in some fashion in exchange for support of the hardware...

I highly doubt that, Pixar guys have publicly stated how much they dislike and think hardware rendering is so inferior and that it will never equal that of the quality of work they are doing. Just search the web for Tom Duff and Nvidia.

Grey
08-25-2002, 01:53 AM
they said that they didn't need raytracing in PRenderman too... but they implemented it anyway...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.