PDA

View Full Version : Dual display + tv out

kiri
11-03-2004, 06:57 AM
hi, I was just wondering if its possible to run 2 monitors and also make use of the tv out function ?
Im using an Nvidia geforce4 ti 4200.
Trying to get nView to do what I want, but it seems I can only choose to have either 2 monitor displays, or 1 and a tv display.
It wouldnt be too bad if there was an easy way to toggle between them, but every time I want to display something on the tv, I have to go through all the settings, and all the icons etc get messed up.
I just want to have video played on the tv actually. Is there not a way to do this?

thanks

-Vormav-
11-03-2004, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't use all 3 at once...

As for making video show up on your TV, all that you should have to do is make the TV the primary monitor.

UrbanFuturistic
11-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Nope, you need a seperate RAMDAC for each display to handle individual output frequencies and I don't believe the consumer level cards have the tech to use splitter cables to hook two monitors up to the one output (even if they were the same model).

Of course, if all you're looking to do is output video, you could always get a second PCI video card and use that as even PCI should be sufficient for most 2D functions.

regards, Paul

kiri
11-03-2004, 09:17 AM
well I've got all three physically plugged in fine, but it seems that the software won't allow me to direct video (or anything) to the tv while I have 2 monitors running...

UrbanFuturistic
11-03-2004, 11:58 AM
It's not the software, it's simply not physically possible with that card.

regards, Paul

lots
11-03-2004, 01:48 PM
All Geforcce 4 cards have 2 RAMDACs. This means the cards can only drive up to 2 displays. Be it TV + monitor, monitor+monitor. It is impossible to drive more than 2 displays at once with that chip. Granted there are Quadros that can drive 4 monitors, those chips have 4 RAMDACs (though they may have full pin dvi plugs that "split" two separate displays off one plug, 4 plugs on the back of a card is just a bit much ;)). Those Quadros, however, are obviously not the same as thier Geforce counterparts :P

log0n
11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Get a DV bridge (Canopus, Dazzle, etc) and plug it into your firewire port. You'll be able to preview your video (inside any video editor app) on the TV while using your two monitors. Works great :thumbsup:

kiri
11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
thanks for the info, I didnt realise about the RAMDACs.
DV Bridge sounds cool, I'll check it out, thanks :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.