PDA

View Full Version : Is there something like the Wings3D tweek in XSI?

HellBorn
11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
If I there is something like the Wings3D tweekmode hidden in XSI it would help a lot as this constant pressing of keys drives me mad. If the mouse and say two of the buttons constantly controlled the panning,rotation and zooming I could live with the other keystrokes but having to press a key just for panning,rotation and zooming is to much. Sometimes I have to press and release keys several times per second!

I'm new to XSI so maybe I'm not workin the most effective way.
Say that I'm editing points in a model.
I would then go into point mode 't'. Select a point then press and hold say 'v' and and do a translation then release 'v' do a new selection and so on. Then I have to rotate the sceen so press and hold 's' and use the right mouse button to rotate the scene. This 3 key exercise then goes on and untill my fingers gets numb.

XSI do a lot more than modeling so it could wery well be that on the whole the mouse usage works well, but for me that mainly have worked with modelling so far think it's a waste to reserve the middle and right buttons for tree selections (something I do maybe once per hour at most) . I would rather have seen them used for the view handling(witch I do about every other second).

So, any advice on how to work better and more effective when modelling would be greatefully recived ;)

(In case you don't know Wings3D the tweek mode let's you select a point and then move it without running the move command. Just click and you can move it paralel to the screen.)

3DDave
11-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Look at the cool things no one knows post above.

liquidik
11-02-2004, 08:38 PM
ehehehe...well, too easy. Try to press the m key. Now just click a drag points :D

HellBorn
11-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Thank's.

Actually I did look trough a bit more than half the tread but the posts was not exactly formatted for easy reading ;)

Also I have to admit that I only did understand half of it...

SpeccySteve
11-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Liquidik pretty much nailed it, "M" key is the closest thing in XSI to Wings' tweakmode, unfortunately it only works on points at the moment, maybe they'll add edge and poly tweak in future versions. ( virtual mirror and "flatten along" functions would be sweet too..)

Try persisting with the S key camera setup though, I disliked it intially, after a bit of use though it became very intuitive to the extent where the camera controls in most other apps seem a bit silly, personal preference naturally.

Ultimately though, Wings is a box modeller, XSI has to do a whole lot more, it's always going to have a more complex interface than a dedicated app.

If after a bit more practice you're still not comfortable with modelling in XSI , why not continue to model in Wings, then just import your .obj's into XSI for animating / texturing / rendering?
As far as I know that's what JDex and a few other Wings / XSI guys do, seems to work for them

HellBorn
11-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Well, first thought was to do the rough modelling in wings and do the fine tuning in XSI where I have access to the instant subd as well as the cage.

However, as I'm new to XSI I though that I really should give it a fair chance first ;)

This 'm' functionality will remove at least 80% of all my key strokes so it's greate.

By the way, another things that bugs me is to set the center of the view rotation.

I can do a selection and hit 'f' but that also frames the selection witch usually means that I have to zoom out afterwards. Is there a shortcut that only set the rotation without the framing?

And another one.
I prefere to work a lot in ortho mode when using Wings but I have some problems when I try to do the same in XSI by setting the camera to ortho. When i click the x,y,z buttons and happen to click twice, ending up deselecting one of the buttons the camera switches to perspective. Is there a better way to work in ortho mode that I not lose so easy?

Ablefish
11-03-2004, 02:17 AM
I don't think there's a way to change the 'frame' key behaviour, but what you can do is adjust how you use it. What I do is select a big enough area of points or faces to frame and set the camera, then select the compenents I really want to adjust. Reduces the amount of zooming out you have to do.

As for your ortho question... In my own workflow, I don't really use the viewport ortho buttons very often. I've remapped the minimize/maximize viewport to 'd', so it's very easy for me to minimize my current view, then maximize another viewport set to the ortho view I need. In the dedicated Ortho views you can't accidently switch to a User view.

And try to get used to the S key if you can... I've never used wings, but it sounds like it's camera controls are more hardwired into the mouse buttons. The thing is, to this point you may have only been doing a lot of object selection and not needed the Branch or Tree selection offered by the other mousebuttons. But for many other tools, say drawing curves for example, those other buttons are very important.

Anyways, hope that helps,

HellBorn
11-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Well Wings have several options for how the mouse should act. You could select Mirai, Maya, Max etc or as I, the Blender style.

Whenever I want I can do screen handling using the middle mouse button (weel), just press to rotate, roll it to zoom and press combined with shift to pan.

It's the best I have used in any app and it also works in the middle of a command. Start a move command and if you realise thay you would se better from another direction just press the middle mousebutton and rotate, release and continue the move then if everything looks ok press left button to confirm else press the right to cancel.

It's just plain excellent!

If your into modelling you should really give it a try.

I'm sure the select tree is usefull but the mouse is the primary extension of my hand and I find it really hard to think that one of the few and most important things to put there is something like select tree.

Well, time will tell...

Thanks for helping. ;)

Ablefish
11-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I don't think I explained it well, but the select tree and branch are only mousebutton options when you have the select tool active. For other tools, say edge splitting, or drawing a curve, or even simple transformations, the middle and right click buttons have different functions. You've probably already found the status bar at the bottom of the ui.

And the 'S' key can be used in the middle of any command or pick session as well. Granted, I'm not sure what a "move" command would be, such that it required a confirmation/cancel options, but any similar command in xsi (actually, curve creation is like that somewhat) - you can also move the camera freely. :)

HellBorn
11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
I don't think I explained it well, but the select tree and branch are only mousebutton options when you have the select tool active. For other tools, say edge splitting, or drawing a curve, or even simple transformations, the middle and right click buttons have different functions. You've probably already found the status bar at the bottom of the ui.

Well, you are not to blame ;)

I allready know that there different commands and not only the select tree option so I was not making anything clearer by refering to the select tree command either. It's just that when modelling I use lots of screen manipulation and I can't se the benefit of using the few mouse buttons for this comparde to have instant screen manipulation at my fingertips.

But even though I am an old dog, maybe I can relearn ;)

And the 'S' key can be used in the middle of any command or pick session as well. Granted, I'm not sure what a "move" command would be, such that it required a confirmation/cancel options, but any similar command in xsi (actually, curve creation is like that somewhat) - you can also move the camera freely.
Maybe your right and I cant test now, but I'm pretty sure i did something like selecting the pick tool in the weight editor in order to click a bone and when I not had a clear wiev of it I needed to rotate the view a little. Then when pressing 's' I lost the pick tool and had to cklick the pick button again.

Also I think I not have been clear here either. In Wings you don't need to press the mousebutton while executing a command. Just left click say 'Move' then 'X' (or use a shortcut for it) or rightclick for advanced mode witch expects you to click something else as maybe an edge in order to get a move vector for the move, then just move the mouse without any button to execute the command. When your done you click the left mousebutton (or the right if you want to cancel it).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.