PDA

View Full Version : Environment: French Village Scene

kenyon
11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
I have finally got around to learning 3ds Max and thought a good way to learn the tools would be to design an aging village scene. After recently returning from Europe, my inspiration came from wandering through the narrow Italian and French streets, amazed by the wonderful compositions and weathered textures.

The modeling, lighting, and rendering are all worked out in max 6 and the textures are primarily photo based, created in photoshop cs.

I am interested in a general critique.

Thank you!

http://bevansarabiansnw.com/kenyondurr/Misc/village.jpg
http://bevansarabiansnw.com/kenyondurr/Misc/wire.jpg

mcaraway
11-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, It's looking pretty good. I like how nothing is straight. That gives it an authentic feel. The textures look a little flat though. I might add some more bump mapping to them to make them pop. I also would suggest changing the lighting angle to give more a more dramatic shadow. All in all, it looks pretty good.

lord Sphere
11-04-2004, 06:39 AM
I think you've got a good scene here. Nice attention to detail. Nice textures. Those flowers look really good.

However, the scale of it looks questionable... it has that model-set feel to it that's very common among these types of scenes. I imagine it's a lighting issue... I think the light intensity is too even across the image. Sunlight is strong (high-intensity), but also soft (wide intensity range) because of the complex radiosity. Plus I think there would be more high-contrast, hard-edged shadows from all the little tiny obstructions... *shrug* Lighting's never been my forte, so maybe someone else could explain why this sunlight isn't quite right.

Also, those road tiles look very bubbly. Maybe if you toned down the displacement a touch?

gordon7up
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi,

The shadows look too soft, this looks like an alley, maybe some shadows cast from the adjacent buildings would improve the realism, overall looks great.

cheers

Mechmaster
11-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Nice work but I'm going to echo what everyone else is saying, the shadows need to be stronger, I think I do see some shadow from out of frame buildings on the road in the lower right corner but it needs to be much darker. The whole scene is just too bright, it lacks the sharper contrast you would expect from the bright Mediterranean sunlight.

kenyon
11-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Thank you all for your response. I've sharpened the shadows and increased the contrast. I think this helped define the bump better too. My intention was to have a lot of bounced light rather than a hard key, considering this is an alley. Like you guys have suggested, I think it makes a better shot having at least some strong key lighting. I added some soft shadows to the path and decreased the displacement on the pavers. What do you think?

http://bevansarabiansnw.com/kenyondurr/Misc/village_1.jpg

lord Sphere
11-05-2004, 02:27 AM
I think it looks terriffic now.

Only... although it stands up just fine on technical merit, the composition isn't exactly spectacular. I really want to see what's to the right, since it's such a narrow snippet of scenery.

Although many of the angles are already offset from vertical, I think actually tilting the camera 20 degrees or so could help make the scene a bit more interesting & make it feel more real. I'd try it, anyway.

Yiannis_K
11-06-2004, 05:30 AM
The lighting looks just fine for europe.(probably southern france?)
the textures look ok but the scale is a bit off i think on the salmon
pink coloured area. The pipe and the glass of the lantern look a bit
too shiny and perhaps you could try using a different AA filter to
soften the sharp lines a bit.

You could also darken the texture on the door's bottom a bit.
just a nice gradient ramp blended with the texture could
fix this real fast.

Keep it up!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.