PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop - Win 2K or XP ?

WU2
11-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I just got a new dell 8600 from eBay for 900 bucks. It has a Pentium M 1.6 ghz, 512 mb of ram, a geforce fx5200 Go 64 MB...

It came installed w/ dell's preloaded win XP home which I am NOT going to keep (along w/ all the other crap on there). My dilemma is whether I should install XP pro or win 2000. Mainly I'm just interested in fast performance... but if there is any major recent functionality that I haven't thought of, that might be an issue. Are there any optimization issues w/ the Pentium M that would make it beneficial to stay w/ XP. I know on slower machines 2000 is WAY more responsive and eats less resource overhead. Aside w/ some basic 3D, I'll mainly use it for web design stuff...are there any big differences w/ IIS on windows 2000? Terribly anxious to start using my new machine but I'm resisting the impulse... Thanks

Goon
11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
winXP pro.

-winXP can be trimmed down to win2k's memory footprint and speed very easily. It just takes about a minute to turn off all the fancy interface crap.

-winXP boots faster

-winXP has a bunch of nice little improvements like supporting zip files as folders, etc.

-with my old dell 5150 laptop, it would NOT run 100% with win2k. Not all of the drivers were available for win2k, but everything was supported under winXP

alanmac
11-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Why do you think XP Pro would be better than XP Home Edition for your needs? What do you base your need to ditch Xp for the Pro version?

WU2
11-03-2004, 12:26 AM
well for one thing...there is no IIS in xp home...so i cant test out any server side scripting stuff w/ dreamweaver locally...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.