PDA

View Full Version : Activating a 'used' copy of Windows XP Home

serris9
11-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Im going to sell this extra copy of Windows Xp Home edition that I have, but was wondering if there will be any trouble for the person buying it when they try to register it on their computer. It has been registered before By someone else, or are you allowed to reinstall it as many times as you like?

Srek
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
You are allowed to reinstall it for several times. After a few online reigstratons it will be neccesary to do the registration via phone.
Cheers
Srek

Sieb
11-02-2004, 09:44 PM
You can change the hardware in a machine up to 4 times before you have to reactivate XP. As for reinstalls, as long as its on the same hardware it shouldn't matter, never had a problem with my machines, the reactivate fine after install. If all else fails, just call MS.

alanmac
11-02-2004, 09:54 PM
If it's been registered by somebody else then I would have thought that the license was theirs and that you are talking about transfering this license rather than reinstalling it.

After all this will be going on a totally different machine.

To ensure you don't get the buyer giving you grief I'd check with Microsoft first. You wouldn't want any bad feelings towards you would you.

On the other hand there is no way the machine writes to the installation CD so how does it remember the number of times its installed, in the motherboard or hard disc in some way I suppose.

If Microsoft have been contacted by the previous registered owner then I would assume that was on record somewhere.

Sieb
11-02-2004, 10:07 PM
A fresh install doesn't know, but when it goes to activate, it will find out from MS how many times its been activated and on what machine due to how the hash is generated on the original computer. Pro and Home have different limits on activations, but I still have yet to reach mine with my copy of Pro on the three machines I have migrated it through.

log0n
11-03-2004, 01:28 PM
You can change the hardware in a machine up to 4 times before you have to reactivate XP. As for reinstalls, as long as its on the same hardware it shouldn't matter, never had a problem with my machines, the reactivate fine after install. If all else fails, just call MS.

Reformatting the drive (even with the same partitions) counts as another activation and gets you 1 closer to the limit. At least with XP home (found this out when I had some bad ram). Reformatting changes the random 'serial #' generated that's tracked to the drive. You'd think MS would be a bit smarter and track something like the mac id or something much more permanent (cpu SN, hash based on cpu SN + mac id, who knows). It's almost as if they wanted to hassle legitimate costumers more than necessary.

Incidentally... MS has a 90 day counter for activation. If the last time you activated was more than 90 days ago, your number of installs automatically resets (both XP Home and Professional - non corp) at Microsoft so you'll not have to worry about hitting the limit and phoning them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.