looking for tuts on shatter or any link or any dogdammed place
where I will get some information how it work some ex file aep prj

whatever

possible

help

reuben

halifax
08-29-2002, 07:33 PM
What did you need to know? I've messed around with it a little and didn't have too many problems. I even used it in an animation of mine. It worked a lot better than anything I could get to work in maya, and it rendered fast, and seemed simple enough to manipulate. I could send you the after effects project that I used to create my shatter effect. I used it to simulate a woman breaking through a big glass window, with decent results. Check it out for yourself at

http://creativity.bgsu.edu/courses/artc331/F01/students/portfolios/halifax/movies/FinalReel2002web.mov

The movie file is kinda big (6 or 9 meg if I remember right) and the shatter is close to the end. If you just have some questions or anything, drop me an email . I'll see if I can help
aaronhalifax@hotmail.com

Ian Jones
09-01-2002, 02:53 AM
I am a total newbie to AE 5 last night and I figured out the shatter effect pretty easily. It is very straight forward.

I'll let you in on a few things I found useful to know.

You can specify the shape or type of shattering in the shape tab. The gravity can be changed in the physics tab, changing the default settings for example lowering the gravity will make the pieces of the shatter hardly fall at all.

If you want the shatter pieces to head directly towards the camera then change the 'gravity inclination' to a positive number (anything greater than 0).

The viscosity acts like the thickness of the air or water in which the shatter may occur. for example turning the viscosity off completely makes it act like it is happening in a vacuum. Turning the viscosity up will make it act like the shatter is happening in water for example and the pieces that shatter will slow down progressively after the inital force. Almost like slowing down the footage.

A bit more about the shape tab:

I found that you can set the shape to a number of presets like glass, stars, planks etc.. but the most useful thing I found was the custom shape option. So I made a black and white image, imported it as footage and dropped it into its own layer out of sight. I then used it as a custom shape mask and it works very effectively!

You can also adjust the amount of bevel, or extrusion that the pieces have. The bigger the 'extrusion depth' number the thicker your pieces will be.

The 'repetitions' option lets you adjust how many pieces you want. This only works for the preset patterns and didn't work with my custom shapes. The higher the number the more the pattern tiles on your screen and thus the more pieces you get.

Hope that helps.

One thing I want to ask a veteran though is... How do I keyframe the start of the effect? It is a simulation so this may have something different about it, compared to other types of effects.

Malameel
09-01-2002, 06:37 PM
I have been trying to the effect to run backwards and switching the video will not work.

Any hints?

boomji
09-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Malameel
I have been trying to the effect to run backwards and switching the video will not work.

Any hints?

cant you pre compose the layer and then reverse the layer ???
b

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.