PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Chris Rabet

cgchris
11-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Chris Rabet has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

cgchris
11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone and best of luck to all. This is my first contest so I think I'll need it!

I've been trying to get together an idea as quick as possible, so here goes...
The concept I've been working on is based around two planets orbiting eachother. The two planets are different in atmospheric and environmental terms, one being dry and desolate, the other being covered in raging seas. Life only emerged on the "seas" planet, developing technology quickly but using up resources quickly too. They built a large "bridge" structure to get to the other "dry" planet. In doing so however, they used all their resources. After establishing a large colony on the "dry" planet, both civilisations grew. The larger "dry" planet however broke away from the smaller planet and conflict began. Also over time, both planets gravitational pulls have become intertwined to the extent that if the "bridge" were destroyed, both planets would be thrown out of orbit.

The image I'm trying to create represents this conflict but also the fact that both planets survival depend on the "bridge" structure staying intact. All resources on both planets have been used, so the only way they can survive is to cooperate. I need to create an image that sums up the fragile position the "bridge" facilitates, bringing together the two planets in survival but also destruction.

cgchris
11-02-2004, 09:51 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099389061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099389061_large.jpg)

Hi everyone and best of luck to all. This is my first contest so I think I'll need it!

I've been trying to get together an idea as quick as possible, so here goes...

The concept I've been working on is based around two planets orbiting eachother. The two planets are different in atmospheric and environmental terms, one being dry and desolate, the other being covered in raging seas. Life only emerged on the "seas" planet, developing technology quickly but using up resources quickly too. They built a large "bridge" structure to get to the other "dry" planet. In doing so however, they used all their resources. After establishing a large colony on the "dry" planet, both civilisations grew. The larger "dry" planet however broke away from the smaller planet and conflict began. Also over time, both planets gravitational pulls have become intertwined to the extent that if the "bridge" were destroyed, both planets would be thrown out of orbit.

The image I'm trying to create represents this conflict but also the fact that both planets survival depend on the "bridge" structure staying intact. All resources on both planets have been used, so the only way they can survive is to cooperate. I need to create an image that sums up the fragile position the "bridge" facilitates, bringing together the two planets in survival but also destruction.

DigiLusionist
11-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Interesting concept. Good luck! I look forward to seeing your concept develop.

cgchris
11-02-2004, 10:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099390462_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099390462_large.jpg)

The working title for the final image is "Umbilical"

This sums up the relationship between the two planets, and identitifes how the bridge structure acts as a lifeline between both planets.

In this image, the planet in the sky where both structures are linked to are the opposites of each in the foreground. Although it doesn't look too clear as both appear on the same horizon.

Thanks for the comment Digi, look forward to some crits.

cgchris
11-02-2004, 10:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099390892_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/5029/5029_1099390892_large.jpg)

This portrait version seems to work better and hopefully illustrates the concept clearer. Both planets are opposing eachother, with the "umbilical" keeping both planets together. The smoke and fire elements illustrate the destruction of the structure. There's more elements to be put in but I'm going to working to this image.

Any crits or advice would gratefully welcomed. I'm now going to spend a few days going through all the other entries and offering any advice I can give.

dayvbrown
11-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Now this is a very cool concept!

Fantastic start you've made, your concept sketches are great, really convey the mood of the piece well. Composition will be important but i think those two pics are really nice, you've got a good eye for the dramatic. I think i'm heading a bit more toward the second one myself, but both are very cool.

Can't wait to see this one prgoress

Dave

Doublecrash
11-02-2004, 10:36 AM
This is a beautiful concept. The bridge between two planets is really a cool idea. And I like the way you sketched it so far.

I'll stick around. Very good work.

Stefano

d-tox
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
concept looks great!
Good luck with it:thumbsup:

datim
11-02-2004, 05:37 PM
A great Idea ...but a tough one to creat ..good luck
keep the detail ....scale is every thing......
datim

ChrisThatGuy
11-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Might be cool if you had the inhabitants of both planets trying to put out the fires on the umbilical.

cgchris
11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone... I'm still working on the composition and will be starting 3d construction as soon as I find some free time! I really want to get the image right first.

Christhatguy: Thanks for the tip. I thought of putting characters in the scene, but I'm trying to rely on the structure to convey the overall concept of the story. I may add characters if they help to convey the idea.

Thanks again.

nuclearman
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Chris, glad to see another XSI user in the contest! :-)

While I love the notion of a literal "bridge between worlds", I think that physics precludes this from being workable. You'd have to have two planets with *no rotation* orbiting at rates that allow the same two sides to match up, etc.

You *could* do something along the lines of Arthur C. Clarke's FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, with essentially an enormous "elevator" constructed to take things up to suborbital levels, or you could go the route of Ted Chiang's story, "The Tower of Babel" (with religious reasons for constructing a tower to the Vault of Heaven) ... or you could just ignore physics altogether and do it because it's a cool image. :-)

Best of luck in the contest!

MattGyver
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Great idea and concept work. It kind of reminds me of series 3 of Lexx when the ship is trapped between two planets (fire and water, heaven and hell) that are connected by a string of atmosphere. This is definately a project that I'll be watching to see how it turns out. :thumbsup: Keep it up!

Jaba153
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
supacool concept !! mmmm like a lot good luck:thumbsup:

Smooth-Criminal
11-10-2004, 03:20 PM
very good sketch, and very original history. good luck!!:thumbsup:

>> MY GRAND SPACE OPERA (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=181156&page=1&pp=15)

Crin
11-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Ha! Love the idea! God mine seems so unoriginal in comparison. oh well. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.