PDA

View Full Version : Drivers cause computer to freeze

peanuckle
11-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Alright, it is late and I am really tired.

I bought a new mobo, processor, and graphics card. All was going well untill I tried to install the nvidia drivers (its a Geforce FX 5200, AGP 8X 256mb) after the installation get 38% done it stops the screen turns black and then the computer freezes. I am wondering what to do?

I have tried Forceware drivers as well the ones that came on the CD. I got it to install in safe mode but there was no picture when I booted out of safe mode so I uninstalled. Does anyone know how to get the drivers to install?

Tanner

Rabid pitbull
11-02-2004, 07:52 AM
So using cd drivers or nvidia forceware drivers both stop during installation?? Are you sure that you have the bios set correctly for 8x agp? Did you install the mobo drivers before the agp card? And finally did you do a fresh/reformat install on the hard drive of the os?

peanuckle
11-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Ive tried both both the CD's and the Forceware which I got from the net. Ive done different settings in the BIOS. Its also a completely fresh install. Full Format then installed windows. I am completely stumped why it wouldnt work.

peanuckle
11-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Alright...I booted into safe mode and finally got the drivers to finish installing, BUT! when I boot back into normal mode nothing will display past the windows loading screen. Hmmmm...any Ideas?

Tanner

Rabid pitbull
11-03-2004, 03:19 PM
It seems like you may have a hardware issue here. Do you have another known working video card? Try swapping out the card, it may be defective. Obviously if another card behaves this way then it may be the mobo. Crossing my fingers it is the vga.

Signal2Noise
11-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Does the mobo have onboard graphics? You may need to disable it in the BIOS. Could be a conflict b/w mobo video and AGP card.

leas5040
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Does the mobo have onboard graphics? You may need to disable it in the BIOS. Could be a conflict b/w mobo video and AGP card. I thought about that too, but that doesn't explain how he could get to, and see, the windows boot screen, but couldn't get past it.

lots
11-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Checked the status of the hard drive? It's not real old is it? No bad sectors? Do you know for sure that the video card is good? Do you know for sure the RAM is good? Is the video card seated correctly? (if not try reseating it?)

Just pointing out that many things can lead to a problem similar to this..

peanuckle
11-03-2004, 10:34 PM
The motherboard doesnt have any onboard video. I am trying to find a video card to test the slot and card. The HD is an old one a REALLY old one (4 gig) I am thinking about getting another HD.

Tarrbot
11-04-2004, 01:06 AM
It very well could be a hard drive problem.

It would help to know which motherboard, OS and processor with amount of RAM installed, as well.

peanuckle
11-04-2004, 08:05 PM
I have narrowed the issue down to a bad installation on XP. I am going to retire the old HD for a new one and reinstall. Lets hope all goes well

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.