PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush seem generating question

Talking_Pie
11-02-2004, 06:00 AM
hi this has probably already been addressed but i haven't found much luck on it, i generated a disp with zbrush onto my xsi cylindre for a test and i got some nasty seam where the unwrap breaks from one side to the other, i thought zbrush would account for it while i was modeling with it but i guess not, any idea how to blend them accordingly?
any help would be great.

thanks

chadtheartist
11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Are you using any filtering effects on the texture? That's been known to cause problems with seems. If you are using any filter effects, just turn them off, and see what happens.

Talking_Pie
11-02-2004, 05:11 PM
do you mean filtering effects inside photoshop or like effects in zbrush?

chadtheartist
11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I mean in XSI. Are you applying any sort of blur effects, like gaussian or mip-mapping to the displacement map in your shaders?

Talking_Pie
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
no effects aside from just the regular displacement map it's just a tiff into a change range node and into the displacement on the material

Kevin Albers
11-04-2004, 10:55 PM
I haven't had that problem in XSI. I recently did a character and the displacement looked fine in XSI across UV seams. Unfortunately, using GPU surface FX I ended up with really bad problems around UV seams, and resorted to baking out my normal map in Max (using Kaldera) and got much better results.

You might check to make sure that your points and edges on the object are properly welded together. That could likely cause problems. Making sure your UVs and geometry have been frozen might help, but I doubt that's the problem.

I think Softimage needs to improve their next-gen tools, but the issues seem greater for using XSI to bake down displaced models rather than rendering displaced models.

tjnyc
11-05-2004, 02:14 PM
The problem might be because you didn't set smooth UV on when generating your displacement map.

Talking_Pie
11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
yeah i tried the suv thing and that helped, although the displacements never end up looking nearly as detailed and accurate as they were in zbrush, is it primarily on how high you render out the displacement? i rendered a 2048 one and a 4096 one and the 4096 one wasn't that much better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.