PDA

View Full Version : Dog Rig Please!!!!!!

liquid_tension
08-22-2002, 07:21 AM
Hello everybody, Does anybody knows any good tutorial to rig a dog? im on a hurry to rig it cause its for my demo and i need to start animating as soon as possible, please i would really apreciate some help. by the way Im using Maya, but still some tutorial for other program might help too. here is a pic of the dog

liquid_tension
08-24-2002, 03:20 AM
NOOO HEELP AT ALL??????!!!!! :rolleyes: :hmm: :annoyed:

bentllama
08-24-2002, 09:09 AM
While I do not have a link to a tutorial...I can offer one good piece of advice...

...make sure to place the character's/quadriped's root in the center of his chest...NOT in the hip are like a bipedal creature...

the root in the chest makes animation alot easier than if it were in the pelvis...

for quadripeds and any other creature for that matter, refer to real life skeletons...no one knows the machine better than mother nature...

...riggin comes down to common sense. decide what functionality you need, what your shots call for and leave room to go beyond your shot dependencies [never know when you are gonna change your mind]

...draw your rig on paper first...figure out the flaws before you start...you will save time in the end...

dwkim
08-28-2002, 03:31 AM
Also keep in mind that even though organic skeletal systems are "one piece", 3D joints do not have to all connect to one another.

I've used rigs that had very few joints at all, only a bunch of constraints, morph targets, clusters, expressions, and a joint here and there (none of which were connected). I didn't rig that character and it was in Soft3D (maybe around Ver 3.0), but it could be done with any decent character package (like Maya, XSI, etc.).

feefunk
09-16-2002, 02:59 AM
you might want to try something like this for the rear legs...

The blue lines are the bones you will use to skin your character and the violet chain will be the one you use to control the animation with for the rear legs. (you'll constrain the 3-4 bone chain to the 2 bone one) It makes it easier to control.

As bentllama said, put the center of gravity control on the front part of the dog, by the chest and not by the hips, but make sure that if your animation calls for it your rig must allow you to make the character stand up from its hind legs.

cheers:beer:

anthonymcgrath
09-26-2002, 04:48 PM
couple of things:

tail animation: wire deformer. why screw around with ik handles on an element that essentially wags!!! but bind the tail into a joint on the rear first, parent your wire into that joint, then deform the tail by the wire. this way, your tail will follow the general movement of the joints, then extra finetuning deformation will be added by the wire (simple shape animation should suffice)

Root joint in the chest, definitely. Dogs can stand up on their front legs believe it or not!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.