PDA

View Full Version : Character: Machine Judge

W.I.P
11-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Critique anything you want. Modelling, lighting, composition, backstory (see link), etc. It's all changable. I posted this in the WIP section at this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=150255), but haven't received any comments yet... I figured I've have better luck here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~r-s/images/wip/j/mfwip0094a.jpg

Software : Max6, Painter8, Opencanvas3

marc001
11-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Modeling: Pecs are high on the Chest, Shoulder isn't connected properly. Ears are missing? or remnants of the ear?
Materials: Too clean. Metal parts should be reflective. Severed limbs should be bloody.
Lighting: Based on the lights in back, there should be plenty of backlighting. A strong lightwrap is neccesary. Needs glow on light fixtures.
Composition: Needs depth, foreground, middle, background.

W.I.P
11-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Ahh... that helps, marc001. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks... although I'm not sure I agree with you on all your points.

Pecs I've noticed sit higher on some men than others. Many men who accumulate fat in their chest (and most of us do), even if just a little, have pecs that sit low. I chose not to give him this attribute because I didn't want him looking too plain.

I presume you mean his right shoulder? Yes, I've been meaning to do something about that, as well as his ear-area.

I'll play with the materials some more. There are reflections, actually, but maybe not enough.

The lights in the back were an afterthought. As you can see, I haven't followed through just yet. In fact, there are no lights there at all, just a luminous material + reflections.

Your composition comment is food for thought...

erlik
11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Coupla suggestions about composition:

You've put him smack in the middle. Use the Golden Rule, put him somewhere on the third of the pic. Pull the camera closer to his head. Tilt it, so you see from head downwards.

Possibly make him look into camera.

And yes, materials are too clean. The metal looks like clean plastic. Put a dirt map into diffusion channel.

Pecs... it's not the matter that they are too high - they are too short, imo.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.