PDA

View Full Version : Efficent Project Setup

Animare
11-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a question to all, in regards to setting up an animation project. I'd love some advice from some people and what techniques/methods they've used.

Basically im wanting to know how to break up the animation.

I've just finished a group project, and I think a few things could have been done a little cleaner to avoid some mess ups.

Considering this is all set eg 2 buildings,

So first I would build an accurate animatic,
for each object I would xref it(my understanding is that, then I can edit each object individuall in a seperate maxfile and it would update the main scene?)

Next when everyting is complete, I would break up the scenes by saving them into different files dependant on camera shots?

This is the part where i get a little confused, should I break up the scenes, by saving them into different scenes on their camera shots, before I finish the entire animatic?

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Shan

jlelievre
11-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I think pretty much what you have outlined already will work for you. The one piece of advice I can offer you is that 1 hour of pre-planning or storyboarding will save you countless hours down the road. Make sure you know exactly what you want in terms or storyline and look, and then you will be able to estimate how mlong and what sort of resources you'll need to get it done.

Start off with a storyboard of how you want to approach the project; camera moves and angles, frame lengths, any sound or fx you would like to see in the shot. Then once you have this you can start setting up an animatic. If you have an environment that a lot of shots will be taking place in then I would suggest starting off with the one scene, getting all of your cameras matched up to what your storyboard dictates, and then you can save out a different file for each shot. This way you know exactly which shot you are dealing with when you open the file. :) hope this helps...

Cullen
11-03-2004, 06:27 AM
I think it really depends on the project.

For example. A huge project - yes I could see why you would x-ref everthing in, or have LOD objects. But for a smaller project I would see that as wasted time.

Personally I don't split my shots into seperate files until you need to. It helps with continuity issues, changed lighting states, copying animation, etc etc.
Coming up with good naming conventions is always handy.

And yeah... just setting everything up as nicely as possible so when you go to use it the scene is clean, uncluttered, and simple to work with.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.