PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a lower detail object to a higher one

mr0range
08-22-2002, 04:47 AM
First post on this forum.. been lurking here for a while, lot of intelligent people here

Heres my dilema, although I need to figure out a solution to this particular model, it could apply to many polygon modelling situations and Itd be nice to find a way around it

I've modelled a hand and an arm, the problem being that I ended up adding more polygons to the hand after detaching the poly from the wrist. Now I have to find a way to reconnect it to make it into a seamless model. Is there any way to add polys to just the wrist without making it really messy, so that I can re-attach the hand? Heres a screen capture of what I'm working with:

http://files.joako.com/hand-arm.JPG

Cheers!

meloncully
08-22-2002, 11:39 AM
i dont know how you would do it in max, but if i was in wings or whatever, i would select the face on the end of that hand at the wrist part and the face on the end of the arm and bridge, or could you in max get the hand close to the wrist and weld the vertices together?

JuRrAsStOiL
08-22-2002, 03:44 PM
well, ever thought about cutting new egdes
into the lower detailed object till it has the
needed amount of vertices and then weld both
together ? :D :beer:

mr0range
08-22-2002, 07:20 PM
I didnt show the whole model, the wrist is part of the larger model.. so if I cut more edges into the wrist, would I need to make like a whole edge loop for each new cut, or could I sort of 'taper down' the detail as it went up the arm, so that I dont have to add so many new edges? Make any sense?

JuRrAsStOiL
08-22-2002, 07:33 PM
play around, lowering the detail after and after creates
a lot of tris and 5-sided-polygons which might create
unwanted seams on the final smoothed model.
if the rest of the model isn't yet finished just attach
the hand at the end of the modelling process then
you will surely have more detail on the wrist :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.