PDA

View Full Version : Workflow?

ralphgmr
11-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Ok, I saw an amazing video from Martin Kroll where he models from scratch a kind of humanoid, monster or I don't know how to describe it, but whatever. The point is, he starts from nothing or from a sphere! I thought zbrush was more like to add detail, make a complex displacement map, to a model that I have already modelled it in another 3d software. Is that, what he did, let's say a "correct" workflow? How does he knows if the model is modelled correctly in relation for example to edge loops and polygon complexity? Is this something that Zbrush is intended for? Modelling from scratch? After I saw that INCREDIBLE example I must say I am pretty confused!

Oh yeah by the way this video can be viewed at the zbrush website.

Thanx in advance for any comments!

xixax
11-01-2004, 10:06 PM
It can be a correct workflow. The topology you'll get out of the model may not always be perfect, but using z-spheres creatively you can get it quite close. After that, if you're looking to correct mistakes, you can purchase Silo3D and use the topology brush to correct it. (there is an incredible example of it on the pixolator.com forums, starts with a zsphered mesh, details it up a bit, exports to silo, redoes topology to make it clean for animating).

I'm personally going to attempt this method and see if I can't get it to do what I want. My only current complaint is that on the PC end, you're modelling in ortho view instead of perspective. You have to do a bit of hotkey quickstepping to see it in persp view to get an idea what it will look like when inside another application. An update is on the way to add perspective modelling though, and my only real complaint then will vanish.

Another advantage to using zspheres, if you make high resolution changes to your model, it automatically adjusts your lower resolution meshes as well. So... if you make a drastic pull to the skull in a head to reshape it, it's already reshaped in your lower res meshes when you get back. This makes creating normal maps and displacement maps for your models a breeze.

Just some info from a newb, hope it helped.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.